RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
hey, i just got back from riding and im in a little tizzy. When i hit the power band and then slow down, there is a screeching sound from the engine. it almost sounds like a loose belt in a car or truck. Could it be the clutch? i never pop the clutch though. Then i felt like it could be the piston walls for some reason. The bike is a 2006 RM85L. Any help is appreciated, thank you :cool:

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
could it be the clutch basket? someone please help me. i really want to get this problem solved fast.

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If you need it fast and accurate then you should see a local qualified mechanic. My guess would be a worn clutch but I'm just going off of the cryptic description, could also be something deeper in the engine but it's hard to tell.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
yeah sorry I'm not much help either. a screeching sound on deceleration. sounds like it could be clutch. need to know if its in neutral and you rev it up does it also make this sound or only when in gear and slowing down?
Might be worth taking the clutch cover off and taking a peek inside. The clutch is completley accessible from the right side. You can tell a lot from looking and cleaning

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
really good point jasle, i dont know if it does it in neutral, i'll have to see. on the rm85's, there isnt a clutch cover, you have to split the case to look at the clutch.
-thank you everybody for their response. by the way, could any one tell me good clutch brands just in case it is the clutch?

slowgsxr97

Feb 24, 2007
RM85rider123 said:
on the rm85's, there isnt a clutch cover, you have to split the case to look at the clutch.
:yikes:

Someone is lying to you. You dont have to split the case. Its the cover behind the rear brake lever. Its not just a little cover, it will come off in one piece. Probably gotta take the kicker and brake lever off. then just unbolt it.

slowgsxr97

Feb 24, 2007
its the water pump, it all comes off, If your questioning your abbility to do the work, in my experiances if your not sure, you'll be money ahead to pay someone that does. my .02

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
thank you everybody for their opinion, since i am 90% sure that it is the clutch. i went riding with friends at slade's motocross park in Virginia, and it was still making that noise. today i went out and started it, and it sounded even worse, but this time it would happen while i do it in neutral. it would screech while i was sitting there, and the lever not pulled in. it would only stop when i pulled in the lever.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Sounds like you have the problem under control.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
They typically only happen if you don't keep tabs on your equipment. Regular maintenance as perscribed in the factory service manual for any bike not only tells you how to effect the repair but also how to maintain the bike so that problems are minimized. I follow the book for each bike we have or have had in the pst and have had minimal issues.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
i do regular maintanence, i just don't know about the bike because it is used.(i dont know how the other people treated it)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Never said YOU did or didn't do anything, just where the problems typically turn up. I would put some of your problems on your lack of checking out your equipment especially since it was in unknown condition. I'm just one of those guys that likes working on mechanical things so it's no big deal. The flip side is the vast majority of other people who don't address a problem until it's just that. Any used bike we pick up gets a complete checkout as soon as we own it because I'd rather spend 2 hours and $25 checking and replacing little stuff than big money when the little stuff breaks.

Perfect example We just got a '01 CR125 for my son and I didn't like the look of the oil nor how the clutch felt so I pulled the clutch cover and water pump cover. The inner hub had a busted off bolt so only 4 of the 5 springs were applying friction so I ordered a new hub. While I was at it I checked everything else out, the water side seal on the water pump looked ok but it was a $7 piece so I replaced it and put in a fresh friction & steel drive plates just because it was apart and I hate the contamination from aluminum plates. I also found that they had used silicon goop instead of the proper gaskets so I replaced those upon reassembly. Now we will be able to enjoy our ride and not have it cut short by a problem that could have been avoided.

Top Bottom