sbates

N. Texas SP
Aug 4, 2003
McAfee MX - Another Riding Facility In Court to be Shut Down

I know most of you are more into Muenster and trails than MX, but this may be of interest to you. I enjoy both and have been to three Dirt Weeks. There is a track near Lake Kiowa (McAfee MX). The track has been temporarily shut down because the owner is being taken to court . Basically, there are some residents who are claiming that they are being physically and mentally affected by this track.

Please read the following thread from MXcrazy.com. I know it is long, but similar situations are going on nationwide and we, as motorcycle riders are the ones suffering.

Alright, would ya try and save Mosier Valley now if you had another chance, ABSOLUTELY.
Well here is your opportunity to jump on the band wagon and help try and save one of the very few tracks that are left in North Texas area.

I spoke with Mark Mcafee several times this week and I will lay it out what exactly is going on with the track. There are 10 people that have signed affidavits against the track as to how and why they feel the track is adversely affecting their lives....These were presented to the Cooke County judge thus resulting in a temporary Restraining Order keeping the track from being open for right now.....The restraining order is based on the track being what is called "A Public Nuisance". I will list a few of the accusations that have been thrown at Mark as the owner of the track.

1. The noise is too much thus resulting in neighboring houses rumbling and some of the neighbors say it is a direct result for some loss of their hearing.
2. Accusations by some of the neighbors say that the dust has resulted in allergy reactions and dust all over their furniture and personal property.
3. Accusations are being stated that the track has de-valued the surrounding properties.
4. Accusations are being stated that it has caused highway 902 to be come a commercial thoroughfare rather than a residential country road as it was originally zoned for.
5. You can read the court documents for yourself to see the other issues that are against the track...

Mark has been to court twice to date regarding the lawsuits and restraining orders filed against him and the track. He has another court date coming up this Friday, April 7, 2006. At this court date the restraining order will either be lifted and the track will re-open and a trial date will be set or the court will file an Injunction against him which will then require a jury trial at this point and the track will remain closed until the case has gone to a jury trial. At this point Mark can then file an Appeal which will then move the case out of the local court and into a higher court of Appeals.

If you read the court documents you will see that most of the issues are related to the neighbor’s personal opinions of the track and how they feel it is adversely affecting their lives. They feel like it is dusty, noisy and generally a nuisance. This however does not warrant the track having to shut down just because someone doesn’t like it next to them. How many of you have started your dirt bikes in the garage a time or two. Do your neighbors like it, NO. If you are only idling the bike and not exceeding the allowable sound ratings then you don’t have to stop just because they don’t like it.

What it boils down to is the plaintiffs will have to prove that Mark is in violation of the law whether it is sound, dust, noise, traffic or what ever it may be to actually have the track shut down. Just because you don’t like something or don’t agree with something doesn’t mean it must go away.

Mark feels very certain because he is not actually breaking any laws that there is a very viable chance he can win this case and continue to operate the track as before. Unfortunately most law suits are usually about whom you know and how much money you have to hang on and keep fighting. Three of the ten plaintiffs are lined with pretty deep pockets, so whether or not they are right or wrong about the whole situation, it is probably pretty certain that they can hang on for a while and put up a good fight for their cause….Depending on the level of courts that this case goes to Mark is hoping he can either win the case based on the fact that he is NOT actually breaking any laws or the Plaintiffs will decide that their cause is not worth spending their money on to continue to pursue.

Mcafee is Mark’s sole income and has been shut down temporarily thus ceasing money continuing to come in for him. He has spent a lot of money just recently on additional equipment for the track i.e. tractors, box blades, disc harrows not to mention the additional property he has purchased. This has kind of taken him off guard with all the additional expenses of the lawsuits that he has incurred to defend the track and the right for us as the MX Community to have a place to ride and take our kids to ride.

A lot of people in the MX Community are always saying they want to help. Well here is your chance to help. Showing up in court and telling the judge you want to ride and you want to let your kids ride on the weekends is not what is going to win this case. It is going to take money, a good defense team and persistence in fighting for what we believe is right. Yes we all know that MX keeps a lot of kids interested in something and probably out of trouble, drinking and drugs, but unless you are in the sport most people don’t understand what good the sport is actually doing. Mark cannot win this lawsuit by us all showing up and saying what our opinion is about the motocross sport. Mark can only win this case by fighting for what he believes is right and by proving that he is not breaking any laws….

The sole purpose of this thread is to give everyone an understanding of what is going on with the Mcafee Motocross track. It is intended to give all of us in the Motocross Community an opportunity to donate money for a cause that we believe in and that is saving Motocross tracks, especially in the North Texas area. We don’t need to lose another track. As it stands we have the following choices to ride if you want to stay within one hour driving time from Dallas, Texas. Village Creek Mx, Shady Grove Mx, Marshall Creek Corp of Engineers Property, Holeshot Valley Mx and Nocona Mx if we stretch it to one hour and a half. That is not much to offer for a Metroplex area the size of Dallas, Texas.

You have two options available to you to donate. You can deposit money into a Paypal account that we set up today that will go directly to Mark at www.paypal.com
enter email recipient as
poorwaterboy.mcafeecompany@verizon.net

Or, you can mail checks or money orders to:

The Mcafee Company
P.O. Box 1772
Gainesville, Texas 76241

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
This may not be what you want to hear, but a nuisance action doesn't require the plaintiff to establish a violation of any law. It's sort of the ultimate equity action -- you can't use your property in such a way as to irritate the hell out of your neighbors. That's just not fair. Property rights are not absolute. We all live in a community, and if the track really is noisy and dusty, I can't blame the neighbors. If Mark can water the track and keep the dust down, and require really quiet mufflers, maybe he can survive, but once the neighbors turn against you, it's tough to keep a track open. Might be time to find some property farther out.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
It's def the best, close (45 minutes) track we ride at and will be a huge bummer if it closes. That being said, the first time I went there I commented that it is awefully close to town and many homes. I'm afraid to say it, but he's probably going to lose. Even tho I ride, if someone built a track that close to my house, I wouldn't like it. I get pissed when my next door neighbor rides his badly jetted KDX up and down the street.

I undestand people wanting to buy that land are behind the lawsuit/funding it, or something of that nature, maybe he can just sell and set-up somewhere a little farther out of town. It's not like the land itself makes that track good.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
It used to be that if you came to the nuisance, you had no right to sue. That makes sense; you moved there, you knew what you were getting into. But sadly, that doctrine has pretty much vanished in the law, and people can now move in around you and stop you from doing what you had been doing on your land for years. It seems unfair, but that's pretty much the way it is these days.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Okiewan said:
I get pissed when my next door neighbor rides his badly jetted KDX up and down the street.

Because it is badly jetted or because it is a KDX? :)

Although I don't ride on tracks I sadly have to agree with Jim and Okie. I have watched a lot of drag strips close over the years. Shoot, if DFW Airport has to fight with Grapevine over a runway and almost loses ...

Noise is our biggest problem. Leave your exhaust stock or be responsible and get the quietest pipe you can.

Joe Diver

N. Texas SP
Mar 21, 2005
The neighbors will most likely win. Can't say that for sure of course, but courts and juries almost always side with the residential property owners unless it's a business like Walmart or a highway. Personally I would not buy residential property anywhere near a track and would fight it tooth and nail if one went in close to me. I have allergies and mild asthma anyway, so the dust would make my home uninhabitable for me.

I feel bad for the guy, but that's the price of progress....as residential communities grow and encroach on open land, things have to change and that change will be in favor of the new residents.

Is he in the city limits? If not, he could lease to ranchers...and have huge cattle herds that would poop, fart, and moo all night.....Texas is pretty friendly to livestock outside city limits. Even inside, over an acre in most places....

sbates

N. Texas SP
Aug 4, 2003
So that's it huh?

I agree that noise is not a fun issue. But, IMHO, this goes a lot farther than the two or three people that may, or may not, be bothered by the sound on one track.

It is also happening at MXOasis in Palestine, TX and on PERSONAL PROPERTY for personal use in California.

Okie - you have a track that you enjoy 45 min. from your house and you are just going to roll over and let a couple of people take that away from you without even trying to help or care.

I see that no one over here really cares to take on the cause - yet. But when one or two people complain about Muenster being too noisy and takes that lady to court, I bet it will be a different story.

Apathy and the attitude that "most likely the neighbors will win" is going to eliminate all off-road activities.

That's my $0.02 :bang:

Evenslower - where you at?

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Here I am. Where are you?

I know I won't be able to articulate this as well as I'd like to on a keyboard but this really should bother everybody. I see it in a really similar light as the smoking in restaurants issue that seems to get people so fired up. Its an erosion of private property ownership rights plain and simple. There are people in town who for whatever reason don't want Mark doing what he's doing so they go to court and "say it is a direct result for some loss of their hearing" (how ridiculous) and make a few other claims and Mark gets shut down. In the case of an MX track I will agree that there are or can be impacts to neighbors and when legitimate and justified they should be addressed. No question. Its what a good neighbor does when given the opportunity, but it doesn't seem like what's going on here.

The neighbors apparently just don't want to waste time dealing w/Mark and have the money to go the legal route, so they did. Probably the most expedient method get what they want.

Hey, I was there when a dead bloated cow blocked the entrance, and rotten festering turtle water was being sprayed on the track as we rode, they should have taken the "is a direct result for some loss of their sense of smell."

sbates

N. Texas SP
Aug 4, 2003
Okiewan said:
What is it you'd like me to do, give me some specifics.
Don't put words in my mouth, did I say I don't care?

True, those words did not come out of your mouth (or off the keyboard anyway), but it is an all too familiar stance.

The last time this happened in this area was Mosier Valley. Allbeit, I don't really think the owner cared to fight, or run the track anymore, but a lot of people around here had the same sentiment that you have (including myself). "Well, they are in court and there is nothing we can do about it." It may not have helped one bit, if I would have tried to make a difference, but not a day (especially riding day) goes by that I don't with I could ride Mosier Valley.

By not doing anything (donating $1, getting the word out, giving the guy an "I am on your side") you are saying "I don't care". I would think that if anyone could think they could make even a little difference, it would be you. You have created a whole new community based around off-road motorcycling, which has positively impacted hundreds, if not thousands of people.

Not trying to get on your case, I just hate to see ANOTHER local track going down in flames.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
This post being here and being discussed is getting the word out I think... if you have suggestions how to increase it, I'm all ears.

Money has indeed been donated, you shouldn't make assumptions :)

I don't think there is anyone on the site or the many others like it, that want to see another track closed. For selfish reasons alone I know I don't want McAfee to close, means another hour of driving each way to get to a good track.

It's just at times, you've got to get past the emotional side of things to see the reality. It very well may be that the track is too close to town. If that's the case, this is a losing battle, no matter how much we dislike it, no matter how many people show up in court, no matter how mcuh $$ we donate. I mean, it's a couple blocks away... don't say I've got a negitive attitude, or don't care, it's just sometimes "real" slaps you in the face. People that have a REAL investment in that area have a right not to be annoyed by someone running a business. Loss of hearing, yeah, that's crap, but it's stuff like that that will get the court's attention. Imagine your home within ear shot, someone comes over to see your house for sale and hears 20 bikes out there tearing up the track. Is that right? These people could have LARGE $$ at stake, not just the possibility of losing a place to ride.

Again, maybe it's best for him to save the legal fees, sell the land to those that want it, get some more land and start another track... OUT OF TOWN.

Maybe there will be a compromise? More limited hours? Stock exhaust requirements? And that goes for the 2-strokes with no silencer packing. More watering the track for dust control?

sbates

N. Texas SP
Aug 4, 2003
Yeah, out of town - closer to IH 75, would be great!

We are definitely on the same page - the REALITY is that it may get shut down, but at least my EMOTIONAL side will know that I tried to help (for whatever good that does). IThe reality is that my emotional side that had me wide awake at 4:00 am thinking about this. :bang:

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
I may have info on something a little closer than Kiowa that may become a reality. **cough** **cough** **Tioga** **cough** **cough**

Let's just say it's 40 acres with no real neighbors and the owner owns an excavating company. If it looks like it may fly I'll post away.

Mark has a great track and I hate to see this happening to him. I hope it works out for the best.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
You might be right. Maybe I just reacted too quickly. I really do hate to see things like this happen, and I would like to know more about what kind of case these neighbors have. I'll do my part and donate some dough to help Mark fight.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
It's a shame but you have to face reality. As the burbs get bigger, the more difficult it will become for a lot of riding places to stay afloat. Burleson is a prime example. The only thing that seperates that track (which is also a working ranch) from some realitively higher prices homes is a golf coarse and a creek. I have a friend that doesn't ride but plays golf at the track by burleson with some of the local home owners there and the track is all they *itch about.

I don't know how the track here in Waco stays open even though I'm the president of the motorcycle club. There is a house about 500 yards from the bowl turn at the end of a straight away. Roost and noise has to rattle everything in thier house but they never complain. We do have a grandfather clause on our property that designates it's use and beiing that we bought it and have been using it for this purpose since 1948 may make a difference.

For people the people that build a track within 20 miles of anything to me is just poor business planning. Good luck to Mark, I think the best thing he could do is sell his land and relocate with enough foresight to carry him several years.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
there in lies my problem with the above issue. in mcaffees case, he built a track next to an incorportated town. in hindsight, not a good option as the town was there before he was. my problem is when you have land in an unincorporated area and have been using it for a purpose for x number of years and someone knowingly buys property next to you and has the right to tell you to stop. that is just a load of crap. i dont buy a house next to an airport because im sure its noisy. if i do buy, i expect it to be cheaper because of the noise. same with tracks. it seems that if tracks were built in high noise zones ie airports, industrial, railyards ect. maybe they could be exempt from suits that mark is facing. a bonus to that would be maybe tracks could be built in a more metro environment where they are accessable to the users. if you had to build your track in the middle of 2500 acres 150 miles from a metro, who would be able to support it?

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
tx246 said:
it seems that if tracks were built in high noise zones ie airports, industrial, railyards ect. maybe they could be exempt from suits that mark is facing. a bonus to that would be maybe tracks could be built in a more metro environment where they are accessable to the users.

i checked into that here at our local industrial park. it's the second largest rural industrial park in the u.s. so they have plenty of land available. i had worked with an engineer for several years back in the early nineties who later became the public relations director for this industrial park. one day, i was washing my bike at the car wash and he pulled up. he knew i raced and asked me about how my racing was going, etc. i thought to myself, "hey i might have an 'in' here". i asked him what are the chances of leasing some land in the industrial park for a track. he exact words were, "not a chance in hell." he went on to explain the liability risks that the park would be accepting if they allowed a track. he even stated that they were trying to unload their airport because of liability issues there.

Joe Diver

N. Texas SP
Mar 21, 2005
tx246 said:
if you had to build your track in the middle of 2500 acres 150 miles from a metro, who would be able to support it?

Sounds like Meunster.....maybe the guy could sell his land and invest in a track at Red River?

sbates

N. Texas SP
Aug 4, 2003
Joe Diver said:
Sounds like Meunster.....maybe the guy could sell his land and invest in a track at Red River?

Still one of the funniest things I have seen was my buddy (pure mxer) asked the lady at the front gate "Where is the motocross section of this place?" I had to just drive off after about five minutes of anti-mx banter and how they were not welcome at the "family oreinted park".

sbates

N. Texas SP
Aug 4, 2003
JMD said:
You might be right. Maybe I just reacted too quickly. I really do hate to see things like this happen, and I would like to know more about what kind of case these neighbors have. I'll do my part and donate some dough to help Mark fight.

I know he appreciates it!

Maybe it helps, maybe not. Supposedly, the judge is deciding today whether he will be able to open up again, or not.

Top Bottom