Messed up rings installing top end!

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Hey guys I tried to install my new piston on a 1998 rm 250 (stock bore) and when sliding the head on the rings somehow got messed up by the intake near the reeds. I used tons of premix to lube it up nice, but it got stuck and bent the heck out of my new rings. I don't know what happened, the bore is clean and they were aligned properly. Any tips for next time so I don't make another $30 mistake? :bang:

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
Take your time, and make sure your rings are lined up with the ring spacer on the piston when you put the jug back on.

ausark

Feb 20, 2009
Please, this is not a cell phone forum.

Please do not post as if you were texting someone on your cell phone.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
What he said? If you twist that cylinder ever so slightly, to align with the base studs, you are screwed. The other is that the piston is facing towards the exhaust, backwards, it will snag a port.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Yeah somehow the 2nd ring snags the intake port. I'm using an OEM suzuki piston/rings, and i have the arrow pointing towards the exhaust... Never had such a hard time with any of my other RM's, what gives!?! In the process of bs the piston got a few small scratches but nothing you can feel with your finger, I can still use it right? Hopefully I can buy just one ring from the dealer!!!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The top of the piston, ideally does not touch the cylinder, but hanging the ring is a concern. The ring pin did not get pushed in? I would think that the cylinder was not aligned when it dropped onto the studs, even partially off center of stud?

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
I think that was the problem, we were having a hard time getting the head to clear the studs. It seemed to go into the bottom fine, but got hung up on the intake port! What can I do to make sure I don't do this again?

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Was it the ring "end" that got hung up? As mentioned, first be sure ring-end-gap's are lined up with locating pin (piston will slide in easy) and do NOT rotate cylinder to align with studs (will catch a ring "end" on a port.)

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I don't know if this would help but I've put the piston in the jug first and then slid the wrist pin in place. By putting the piston in the cylinder first you have a lot more control with it.

Top Bottom