Jun 5, 2006
alright, i know this topic has been talked about before but i couldn't find anything to answer this.

This is what happened: on saturday i went riding my kx at the badlands in indiana. After 4 hours riding, right when i was about to pack it up, the throttle on my bike stuck wide open. I hit the kill switch and turned my attention to the throttle. It wouldn't even barely twist, it felt like mush, so i pushed it back to the car. When i got home i took the throttle apart up at the top and i say that the cable was "bent" and it was frayed. I don't know if that's enough to cause it to stick, but i'm guessing it was. it definitely wasn't the throttle tube w/ sand in it or something, because it wouldn't even barely twist like i said. I looked down at the carb and everything looked okay, though i may be wrong. Basically i'm asking if the problem is the cable or not? or could it be something else?

thanks

Last edited:

QKENUF4U

Nov 13, 2005
def. sounds like a cable to me.
pull your throttle assembly completely off so that just the cable is there, then pull on the end of the cable by hand , it should pull nice and smooth and snap back.
if it does then the cable just got jambed up in the throttle housing because of the bend/fraying (needs replaced anyways with those problems).
if it doesnt then its bound up in the cable sheathing or in the carb

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
Unfasten the top of the carb, pull the cable with the carb top, spring and slide assy still attached out of the carb and detach the cable from the slide. Remember how you did everything and reverse for re-assembly. You really should spring for a shop manual, or check one out from the library.

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
You NEED to get an 'Extremesports' shop manual so you can do these repairs. I'm not sure if a thousand typed words can walk you through this! You do realize that you get to look at the bike and the problem and we don't...don't you?

If you're going to do your own wrenching, you're going to have to be able to read and have a basic aptitude for mechanics.

Get a manual or sell the bike and buy one that comes with a manual, period.

I'm really not trying to harsh your buzz, but if you have the carb top off, slide pulled out and can't figure it out by looking at it, then you really need to buy a manual.

Good luck, and have fun.

Top Bottom