J.B.426

~SPONSOR~
Mar 20, 2000
I'm starting with a new chain and I have some Pro Gold MFR chain lube. Does anyone have any long term experience using this lube? I've tried it a couple of times and it seems to work really well and does not attract dirt but I would like to know if anyone has used this for any length of time, thanks.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
JB426,
I think Pro Gold has been a proven good choice for BMX'ers. It has yet to prove itself under the load of our sport. I don't think it would be wise to use for o-ring lubrication. Perhaps a good choice for those who run regular chains and don't ride hard in clean conditions, but want their chain to be cleaner than petroleum.

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
I have a couple cans of this stuff, and I've gotten a year out of an RK X-ring chain and the stock Honda sprockets. So far both the front and rear sprockets have almost no wear, and I've never had to adjust the chain unless I had the rear wheel off to change a tire or something. This stuff works wonders. I ride in mud and lots of water and crud, so it's not like I'm easy on a chain and sprockets. MFR lube helps keep the X-rings moist as well. This stuff seems to put a glazed coating on the sprockets that is very smooth, so the chain won't grind the sprockets.

KTM400MAN

Sep 6, 2000
I bought a case of the MFR lube because I thought it was the best lube I had ever used. It worked wonders on my o-ring chain and sprockets and I loved the fact that it didn't attract much dirt at all. I switched to a non- o-ring chain though, and found that the lube is too thin and caused premature wear on the chain and it would squeek after two motos. I now use a heavier chain lube on the non oring chain, but I still prefer to squirt a little MFR on all other moving parts and seals, especially after washing the bike. I am going back to the o-ring or x-ring chain after I wear this non o-ring chain out. Too much maintenance, and messy gooy chain lube to deal with. Erik

J.B.426

~SPONSOR~
Mar 20, 2000
Thanks fellas,
I suspect it may not be good for extended loads on a non o-ring chain. It sure lets the chain spin freely shortly after you put it on though.

Budda

May 24, 2000
I used MFR on a stock YZ125 chain and sprockets for over a year in all types of conditions (mud, sand, etc.) It worked great, but I think keeping the chain clean was more important than the actual lube brand. I also use it on the footpeg pivots, shift lever and kick starter.

Top Bottom