CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
Came across this and thought I'd copy it here. It made me smile but also feel really old!!! ;)

Close your eyes...And go back...

Before the Internet or the MAC

Before semi automatics and crack

Before SEGA or Super Nintendo...

Way back...

I'm talking about hide-and-go seek at dusk.

Red light, Green light.

Playing kickball & dodgeball until your porch light
came on.

Mother May I? - Red Rover - Hula Hoops

Running through the sprinkler

Root beer and a moon pie

Wait...

atching Saturday Morning cartoons

Fat Albert, Road Runner, Smurfs, Picture Pages,
G-Force & He-Man

Wonder Woman & Super Man Underdog!

Playing Dukes of Hazard

Catching lightning bugs in a jar

Christmas morning...

Your first day of school

Bedtime Prayers and Goodnight Kisses

Climbing trees

Getting an Ice Cream off the Ice Cream Truck

A million mosquito bites

and sticky fingers

Jumping down the steps

Jumping on the bed

Pillow fights

Running 'till you were out of breath

Laughing so hard that your stomach hurt

Being tired from playing...

Your first crush...

Rainy days at school meant playing "Heads up 7Up" in
the class room.

Remember that?

I'm not finished yet...

Kool-aid was the drink of summer

Toting your friends on your handle bars

Wearing your new shoes on the first day of school

Class Field Trips

When nearly everyone's mom was at home when the kids
got there.

When a quarter seemed like a fair allowance, and
another quarter - a
miracle.

When any parent could discipline any kid, or feed
him or use him to carry
groceries, and nobody, not even the kid, thought a
thing of it.

When being sent to the principal's office was
nothing compared to the fate
that awaited a misbehaving student at home . . .
Basically, we were in fear
for our lives but it wasn't because of drive-by
shootings, drugs, gangs,
etc
. . Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger
threat! - And some of
us are still afraid of them!!!

Didn't that feel good, just to go back and say,
"Yeah, I remember that!"
There's nothing like the good old days!

They were good then and they're good now when we
think about them.

I'm talking about the time when . . .

Decisions were made by going "eeny-meeny-miney-mo"

Mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming, "Do
over!"

"Race issue"; meant arguing about who ran the
fastest.

Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker
in Monopoly"

Catching the fireflies could happily occupy an
entire evening.

It wasn't odd to have two or three "best" friends.

Being old, referred to anyone over 20.

The worst thing you could catch from the opposite
sex was cooties.

Nobody was prettier than Mom.

Scrapes and bruises were kissed and made better.

It was a big deal to finally be tall enough to ride
the "big people" rides
at
the fair.

Getting a foot of snow was a dream come true.

Abilities were discovered because of the words "I
dare you"!

Spinning around, getting dizzy and falling down was
cause for giggles.

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a
team.

Water balloons were the ultimate, ultimate weapon.

Older siblings were the worst tormentors, but also
the fiercest protectors.

If you can remember most or all of these, then you
have LIVED!!!!

Pass this on to anyone who may need a break from
their "grown up" life . .

Hope you like it as much as me! :aj:

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Ahhhh, the good old days. Man, what I wouldn't give to go back, even for just a day.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
So....going out and catching fireflies in a jar isn't allowed anymore? :whiner:

I still run around till I can't catch my breath. Usually it's from chasing the dog. :) And I'm not adverse to running through a sprinkler (or riding through on my bike!) if the day is hot. :cool:

And scrapes and bruises? Heck, I ride a dirt bike-- I get plenty of those! ;)

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
It made me think....my son (5 yrs old) has never caught lightning bugs. When do they start flying around. I think I'll take him outside and let him catch a few. Who hasn't put one on their finger and had a "lightning bug ring".

The simple things in life :) :) :)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Lightning bugs? We catch Swallows out here! Yes, the good ole days. How about the P.E. class where we did the high jump and used the solid pole to do pole vaulting?! Little league where there were no fights, among the parents!
Elk

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Little league where there were no fights, among the parents!

Amen there elk. Even worse yet, the little league baseball park, before they tore down the fence and turned it into a junior league soccer field. :ugg:

dirtybkr

Mar 17, 2000
Originally posted by CNM
It made me think....my son (5 yrs old) has never caught lightning bugs. When do they start flying around. I think I'll take him outside and let him catch a few.
Mid summer up here in NY.

dirtybkr

Mar 17, 2000
Originally posted by Miltonyz
Soppy Sentimental poems like this always upset me. I feel that it is always carried into a "My generation is better then yours" type poem. They compare an idealistic version of their world to ours and then lament how bad ours has become. They gloss over their generations problems and highlight ours.

Naaa I was reading it and getting all nestolgic when I got to the cartoon part and knew that I was much older than the person who wrote the "poem". I think that it is not generation specific , just a reminder of what it was like to be young and carefree . Enjoy it for what it is .

Miltonyz

Sponsoring Member
Apr 12, 2001
Soppy Sentimental poems like this always upset me. I feel that it is always carried into a "My generation is better then yours" type poem. They compare an idealistic version of their world to ours and then lament how bad ours has become. They gloss over their generations problems and highlight ours.

Before the Internet or the MAC
Before semi automatics and crack
Before SEGA or Super Nintendo...

It seems to me that the author here is trying to compare technology to crack by using them in the same context. What is wrong with these new technologies. What is the difference between a child going home and playing their Sega, and a child in the 50's going home to listen to the radio.

When any parent could discipline any kid

Are you saying that todays children are not disciplined or is someone judging the many based on the few? I know I was spanked when younger so was my little brother and so were people I went to school with. People denounce stereotyping in one breath and then promote it in another.

When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited a misbehaving student at home . . .

Again I feel that there is a bais saying that todays children are not disciplined which is not true.

Basically, we were in fear
for our lives but it wasn't because of drive-by
shootings, drugs, gangs,
etc

It again seems that stereotyping is in place. I never have been in fear of dieing from those things and I believe the majority of todays youth have not also.

Maybe I took this to far and maybe the author means no disrespect towards todays generation, however, I feel that many similar works that are spread aroung the internet take on a holier then thou attitude. :)

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
That sounds just like my life growing up. Remember when a gang fight was two groups of kids beating the snot out of each other on a Friday night. Remember when a drive-by was when you drove by your friend or girlfriends to see if they were home. Seems like much simpler times.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I'm only 16 and can remember doin most of those things with the exception of the Dukes of Hazard. I miss not having to worry about anything and just go out and have fun.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Milton,
Perhaps you could outline the problems we had so we can compare. :)

dirtybkr

Mar 17, 2000
Personally , I think "your" generation has really stepped up to the plate . The young men and women of this country are showing what they are made of in our military , volunteer services , and just in attitude . I am very proud of our youth today . Milton , your argument is well stated and the writer of the poem obviously does draw some negative comparisons between today and yesterday but no where does he/she place blame on any generation .Maybe the writer is just saying that he/she prefers boot legging to crack ,Tommy guns to semi automatics ,wireless to the internet and kickball to Nintendo , so what . You some day may long for sega over whatever new entertainment the next generation comes up with . :)

Miltonyz

Sponsoring Member
Apr 12, 2001
Perhaps you could outline the problems we had so we can compare.
I'd love to. Give me a couple of days to research.
What what year where you born? I want to make sure I have the right years here.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Let's just say that I remember body counts each night on the evening news.
Chibi's were cool, and Hodaka's and Elsinore's were much cooler.
Converse were the footwear of choice...Chuck Taylors in your school colors.
If you didn't like Laugh In...you probably liked Hee-Haw.
First ups in baseball always involved the throwing of the bat and the hand-over-hand....different neighborhoods had different methods allowed. (thumbs only, elbows, full-cover, top onlys, etc...)
Wiffle ball was played all summer with stats kept for each neighborhood team.
Nova's, Mustangs, and Camero's ruled.
Cherry Cokes were only to be found at the local drugstore.
You always knew at least one person who used pomade.
You always prayed you father wouldn't think you were the kid in the family that would look better in a burr.
Levi's and Wranglers were about your only choices in jeans.

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
Milton,

Could we possibly be taking this a little to seriously here. The point of the author (I"m assuming) and my point in posting this was to say "I remember when life was simpler". It was never to say your generation is hopeless and should be blamed for all that is wrong in our society.

It is an undisputable fact that our children today are faced with more drugs, violence and chaos than ever before. That being the case, it is even more admirable when children make it through all the crap and become mature adults. I have a five year old and I face this delima daily. How to protect him from all the negative influences on TV, movies, etc......

But to get back to the subject, all this amounts to is to say "I remember my childhood and it was great". Sorry you took offense but lighten up a little. One day you'll look back at your childhood, smile, and say the same "I remember when life was simpler". :)

bluerider125

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2002
i just turned 15 and remember doing all that!! i didnt play dukes of Hazzard tho, but i remember watching it and wishing i had a charger like that one!! and no matter how many times my dad told me NO, i always asked if he jumped his '70 chevelle SS...(no longer here, 120+ into a WV mountain rock wall can do things to cars... even to 10.1-10.3 1/4-mi. cars...)or '68 javelin... or '70 camaro...

Top Bottom