KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Well I made it back from my West Virginia Trip! I had promised I would write up a Ride Report – so here it is. Be warned – it is LONG…but hopefully entertaining, semi informative, and not full of to many lies. I will likely have to split this into a few separate posts due to its length. I will post some pics later on as well.

Our plan was to rent a cabin near Gilbert, WV, and ride the “Rockhouse” Trail system.
2Big4aKDX (Neal) and Creeper9 (Kurt) would be camping at the same place we were renting a cabin from (Twin Hollow campground – I HIGHLY recommend it!) for the day before we would arrive, they would ride with us for two days before heading back north on Monday. Fortunately, we did not have to leave the area until Friday 4/1. On top of that, a rider I know from the Atlanta (Joel) and two of his friends would be staying at the north end of Rockhouse, in the town of Man. Also, another fellow DRNer (Michigan – who now lives in Ohio) would be staying just a door down from us in another cabin. We didn’t have any specific plans for hooking up with the guy from Atlanta, but thought we might run into him, and had hoped to sneak in a ride with Michigan and his friends. Other than that, the riding would be mostly focused on riding with the family. My wife, Sheila and son Mitch on quads, Mark on his “new” KDX. It would be the first time Mark would be riding the KDX – a huge step up from a TTR-125, so we would be trying to not overwhelm him right away. I was a bit unsure if the case of biker’s elbow (tendonitis) I was dealing with would be problem for me riding or not, holding a cup of coffee was still rather painful, but I was resolved to not let it stop me from riding!

3/25 – WAY to many hours in the truck! We got a bit later start than we had planned on but the drive went well until the very end. It took a total of about 15 hours – but that includes a LONG lunch break, and a decent break for dinner. We did find that I really don’t like towing a 8’ wide trailer on curvy, narrow mountain roads, at night, in the rain. Checked into our motel (Compton Inn – it is OK…nothing fancy, but a roof over our head and bed to sleep in) in Gilbert and tried to sleep.

3/26 – Foggy and a light rain coming down. Drove up the rather STEEP climb to Twin Hollow campground to find Kurt and Neal, headed back into town with the whole crew for some breakfast and to fill gas cans etc. Got our stuff into the cabin, the bikes unloaded, geared up and got on the trails by around 11:30 AM (thanks to Twin Hollows for getting our cabin ready early for us!) By then the light rain was over, and the sun was shining! The high temp for the day ended up in the mid to upper 60’s – perfect! :aj:

Our intent was to ride Trail 10 – marked as an “easy” route. Twin Hollows is right on the trail - so we would ride right from there. The first mile or so of 10 is a bit rocky some small hills, and was rather slick with the overnight rain. After that, it opened up into some rather wide ORV Route type trail – two semi trucks could pass each other in most spots! The trail goes along the side of the mountain without significant elevation changes, and wide corners. Absolutely stunning scenery all along this trail, overlooking the valleys below. The views would easily distract me from the riding at hand! :yikes:

So far Mark was doing great on the KDX – seemed to be having a great time. Neal and Kurt decided to break off onto some more challenging trails they discovered the day before. Around 6 miles into Trail 10, it heads up the mountainside and narrows dramatically – down to ORV trail width type stuff. A few tight switch backs, some rocks, mud, roots, deep ruts etc. had Mark working pretty hard to keep that KDX upright – he only dropped it once though – not bad for his first time on it. As I was about to ride around a tight uphill switchback, and noticed two riders I didn’t recognize (at first) sitting there, as I approach – one of them yells out “Is that you Mike?” It was Joel’s friends Brett and Blake! A minute later I hear the thump of a big Husaberg, and Joel comes plummeting down a steep bit of single track that intersected Trail 10. Within a matter of minutes, I hear the distinct sound of what must be a KTM 300…and Kurt and Neal show up! Neal riding on a flat front tire! A bit of time with bench racing with the guys gives Mark enough time to rest, and to decide he has had enough of that trail.

Joel and his friends head off for more riding, Neal and Kurt head to camp to fix that flat tire. Sheila, Mark, Mitch and I, decide to spend some time riding back and forth on the easy part of trail 10 to give Mark a bit easier spot to learn his new bike. All told we logged about 25 miles or so with the family. Just as we are about to head back to the cabin, Kurt and Neal show up so I head off to ride with them, while the family goes back to the cabin.

I wisely let Kurt and Neal lead me around some of the trails they previously discovered. I don’t recall the trail numbers we rode, but our route snaked us up and around the mountains – quite a few of the trails we rode were marked as “Blue” – harder trails – and perhaps a small section might have been a “Black” which is most difficult. We found many deep mud holes and some more outstanding scenery. At one point, we go down this rather gnarly rocky hill that Kurt kept referring to as the “Hill of Death” didn’t seem so bad going down…what is the big deal? Our ride ended with us heading into the town of Gilbert. Local ordinance allows dirt bikes and quads to ride in town – it is neat seeing groups of bikes covered head to toe in mud riding along the streets of town to get gas, food etc. Kurt had his eyes (stomach?) set on a Hot Fudge Sunday at McDonalds! A quick 3 miles or so back up to the campground, and our first day of riding was done. With Kurt and Neal, we did about 25 miles or so. Unfortunately, the mud took its toll on Kurt’s fork seals – with the bike just sitting there you could see the oil running down the fork tubes! We fired up the charcoal, tossed some burgers on the grill and did some bench racing. Later that evening, Joel, Brett and Blake showed up as well. They were done riding as they had to head home on Sunday.

3/27 – It looks like it would be a beautiful day! After a quick visit from the Easter Bunny (he even paid a visit to Kurt and Neal’s campsite – and found he could use a motorcycle helmet for an Easter Basket!), some breakfast etc., it turns out that Mark had gotten a bit overwhelmed the day before and he did not want to ride, Mitch was a bit tired…so he was going to sit out the morning ride. Kurt decided his fork seals were to far gone for any riding. Sheila would of course stay with the kids. So that left Neal and I. I began to get worried when Kurt kept saying we had to ride UP the “Hill of Death” as he called it. I of course asked about their own success with it, and what line would work best etc, but neither Kurt or Neal would tell me where it was! So off we head – up trail 35, through many deep mud holes – and there is the hill. It didn’t look so bad…well, perhaps the last 20 feet is the problem – sort of a series of stair steps near the top, each about 12” or more high, steep rock in between not quite a bike length apart! But …there was this small ribbon of dirt about 8” wide on the far left – just inside of that steep cliff on the left side.. THAT must be THE line. I force Neal to go first – he takes the line I had found – and I zip right up it right behind him. I later found out that Kurt attempted a line on the right – and found out the hard way it was NOT the line to use! We wind around a variety of trails, and log around 30 miles.

A quick stop at the cabin for some lunch, and Mitch decides he wanted to come ride with us. We convince Kurt to ride Sheila’s quad, so Neal, myself, Kurt and Mitch head out for a ride. We plan our route so we could scout out possible routes for Mark to ride the next day, and settle on one starting out on Trail 10, then onto Trail 12, looping around clockwise, eventually re-joining Trail 10. Mitch had a blast riding with us – this was his first “ride with the guys” and he loved every minute of it. Thanks Kurt and Neal for making Mitch feel so well included!

Trail 12 proved to be a great trail prospect for Mark, one section with a bit of steeper climbs and some switch backs, but easier than that section on trail 10. Again, some outstanding scenery – mountain vistas, rushing streams, water falls, you name it! Mitch was a real trooper, and kept up a rather good pace the entire ride. We get to see some neat old mining equipment along the trail – some more hills of course, some big wide easy stuff to, and eventually end up back on trail 10. I realize that we were back at that spot were we first saw Joel come down the single track on Trail 148. I decide to give it a go up trail 199 – trail 148 heading the other way started out with a steep climb up a hill that had cement blocks buried in to control erosion. 199 while a steep climb, didn’t have any of those blocks to mess you up. At least not until you got a few hundred yards in! Oh well! The trail quickly steepens, I decide I need to carry in plenty of momentum – at least until I realize the trail begins to snake around some trees…I back it off a notch and let the 300 lug its way up the hill. Eventually the cinder block section ends. The trail is a nice narrow single track that starts to hook to the left onto the steep mountain side – so the trail was cut in such your right boot would be rubbing the vertical dirt bank on the up hill side, and you would look down on your left…and down…and down…. YikeS! Keep the momentum up and don’t look down! The trail flattens out and now it is like a nice bit of near virgin Michigan single track – bark busters bustin bark and everything! I ride this for a short while and decide I should turn around as the others are waiting on me. As I get back to the cinder block section I catch a glimpse of Neal riding his bike down hill…whats up here? Turns out he gave it shot…that was a bit off target – I didn’t notice the torn up hill side from Neal bulldogging his bike back down the hill until Kurt and Mitch gleefully pointed it out to me! We finish off the last few miles back to camp and call it a day. Our afternoon loop was about 35 miles . Weather was about PERFECT all day long – upper 60s and sunny!

3/28 That PERFECT weather from the prior day came to a quick end – wee hours of the morning some serious thunderstorms and big wind roll in. Around 6:15 AM I decide I should go help Neal and Kurt break camp (they had to head home that morning). I approach their campsite to see them about 100 feet away dragging the tent back from the tree line! They had removed all their gear already, had started to tear down the tent when the wind got the best of it! We quick finish up the packing, Kurt and Neal head towards Michigan. We decide today would be a sight seeing, book reading sort of day – so we laze around for a few hours then after the rain lightens up somewhat, we head out for a drive.

3/29 Forecast is for sunny skies and upper 60s! Gotta love it! The whole family heads out to ride that loop that Mitch did with Kurt, Neal and myself. Mark does fantastic! He and the KDX manage the long hill on 12, all the switch backs etc. He doesn’t drop the bike the entire ride – and there was some tricky stuff here and there – the likes of which you will never see in Michigan. Around 35 miles for the day (I know, not much compared to the typical wacko 100 mile days many MTR riders do – but super for a nice family ride!)

3/30 Forecast is for sunny skies and get this….high temp of 78 degrees! YEE HAW!!!!!!!!! Sheila opts out of riding for today, some time in the sun and a good book sound better. Mark, Mitch and I head out to ride a loop up 10, through that spot that “got” Mark the first day, onto trail 16, a tiny bit of 18, then 15, back to 10. What a beauty of a ride! Both boys do fantastic, taking everything in stride. Mark drops the bike once on a steep downhill – I think he locked the front wheel up while trying to fight off the forces of gravity – but he quickly dusts himself off and says “Lets GO!”. Trail 16 is a real scenic trail as well – quite easy to ride. We take a long break where 15 splits off of 18 - I decide I need to take Mark’s bike for a quick spin up a “Blue” trail (23 I think it was). 23 proves to be rather easy, so I convince the boys to come ride some of it with me. We cruise a few easy miles on it, wondering why in the world it is rated “Blue”. It was getting late though, so we turn around before we find out why, head back to ride 15. Eventually on trail 10 we come across some trail maintenance going on – so the trail was blocked with some equipment. They route us up a steep loose climb up to trail 36, left down 36 for a few hundred yards takes us back to trail 10. This ride was one of those outstanding “Father and Son” rides (like I am sure “fatherandson” and Circuit Rider here on DRN have shared many of!) that will be remembered for a long time! We logged about 30 miles, and about a million smiles!

3/31 We wake up to a light rain – nothing big, clouds appear to be breaking up already. We plan to trailer down to the Pinnacle Creek trail system, about 1 hour away, just so we can see some other areas. From what we had been told, this area is in general dramatically easier than Rockhouse. We had been told correctly. I think the boys found the green stuff rather boring actually. Pretty area, not nearly as dramatic of a beauty as in the Rockhouse area. By the time we get to the trail head, the rain has stopped entirely, temps in the lower 60s. While taking a break we determine we are at the intersection of a blue trail that looks interesting – odd, but the trail marker vs the map indicate different numbers, but we must be “here”…so we head off on it. We found it real easy…at first. Before long it became almost impassible with super deep mud holes, tricky lines around them – some with no lines around the deep stuff. Eventually we turn back – Sheila and boys are no longer having fun in this stuff! Once back on our original route, we realize the trail on the map we thought we were at, actually was about ¼ mile away past a switchback! Ooops…but it was a numbered trail, not posted as closed – certainly should have been! We end up back at the truck after about 25 miles of riding – then we notice a bulletin board up by the bathrooms…oh oh…that trail we were on – was closed! Kinda dumb they only post it on a dry erase board, and do nothing to change the trail markers!

4/1 Some April's Fool...we have to head home to the ugly snow again. The good news was it took only 13 hours on the return trip, and the snow was almost gone when we got home!

So all told we logged a total of just over 200 miles of riding. We will come back again – and will make sure to stay at the same place 100% ORV/ATV/Bike friendly people, super accommodations, outstanding location. NOTHING else I saw in the area comes anywhere close to comparing to Twin Hollows for a place to stay! Next time around I will make sure to make more time for some of the single track and more of the black and blue trails (hmm…I wonder if there is significance to that “black and blue” in some other way?)

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Now for some pics

This first set of pics is of the cabin we stayed in and the outstanding view from the cabin.

Attachments

• cabin at twin hollows.JPG
    cabin at twin hollows.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 392
  • view from the cabin.JPG
    view from the cabin.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 384

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
A dirt biker's Easter Basket

Here is a shot of Kurt and Neal suiting up for our ride on Saturday - note the view they had from the tent! Next shot is a dirt biker's version of a Easter Basket!

Attachments

• kurt neal suiting up.JPG
    kurt neal suiting up.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 383
  • dirt bikers easter baskets.JPG
    dirt bikers easter baskets.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 379

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Cinder Blocks and Single Track

Here is a shot of Joel sitting at the bottom of the cinder block hill where trail 148 joins trail 10. He blasted the big 'Berg up the block trail, got up to the top and came blasting on back down.

The next shot is of Joel and Blake at tha same intersection. Behind Blake is where trail 199 goes up - the cinder block section cleverly hidden out of view!

Notice the trail maker - see that "sponsor" logo. I wonder if the State of MI could learn something from the Hatfield McCoy trail system (both pros and cons I am sure)?

Attachments

• Joel at bottom of 148.JPG
    Joel at bottom of 148.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 405
  • blake joel at 148 199 10 junction.JPG
    blake joel at 148 199 10 junction.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 395

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
My Muddy Family

Here is a shot of Mitch, Mark and I on trail 10 a couple miles away from Twin Hollows. Rather easy wide trail (read...boring?). What is decieving is that the trail turns (to an inexperienced rider at least) dramatically more difficult a short way down the trail. Ironically, trails marked as harder seem to have huge sections that are super easy. Their rating system is a bit off I think! The easy sections of 10 and 12 are still nice to ride and have outstanding views. You can go out on 10, then onto 12 for about 10 miles in total before you encounter anything beyond a newbie's skill level.

Next shot is My Muddy Family. Man that mud gets everywhere! Slick trails when wet!

Attachments

• Mark Mitch Mike on trail 10.JPG
    Mark Mitch Mike on trail 10.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 396
  • muddy family.JPG
    muddy family.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 386

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
The water was flowing

Here is a shot of me and my boys standing by a waterfall along trail 12 on the northwest side of the Rockhouse system. Rather scenic!

This last pic I will post is one of my son Mark crossing a small stream on trail 10. By this point in the ride he had absolutely recovered his confidence and had started to settle in on the KDX. My wife found out the hard way with the constant deep mud holes and water crossings, that quads throw up way more water than a bike...and all that water come crashing back into the rider - her and Mitch got way muddier and wetter than Mark or I ever did!

Attachments

• mitch mike mark by falls pm trail 12.JPG
    mitch mike mark by falls pm trail 12.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 396
  • mark stream crossing.JPG
    mark stream crossing.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 413

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Great ride report Mike! Nice way to break your son in on the new KDX! Seems like he adapted well though.

Did you cut down the seat or lower the bike at all? Mark looks a little more than flat footed while straddling the bike.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Bill - thanks - it did all work out well for us. Early on I was worried I had gotten Mark in way over his head though!

Seat on the KDX is stock, but the soft foam compresses a fair bit compared to the boards on KTMS!. I also got a softer rear spring, preload backed way off, back to stock front springs (thanks Bill!), forks raised a bit in the clamps, and Mark has been eating like a horse and keeps growing! Plus in that one pic, the bike was sitting in a bit of a low spot - I have been working with him to select where he stops better so he has good footing! (a lesson we could all learn from our friend Fred!)

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Thanks for taking the time to post the report Mike! I cant wait for the 21st to get here so i can experience it first hand.

team-green32

MAGA
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 27, 2001
Chicago
Great, great post, Mike.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Dave - Staying at Twin Holllows - no trailering at all - it is right ON the trail! But you can also ride the streets of Gilbert legally on a bike or quad anyhow, so you can ride from a hotel or other lodging in Gilbert to. I do recommend Twin Hollows though - great spot. Make your reservations early - they book up fast!

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Nothing but first class on that report Mike - sounds like an AWESOME RIDE/vacation trip!! Thanks for taking the time to share your epic adventure with all of us!! By the way - welcome hometo all of you!!
Woodsy

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Great report Mike,.
The pics tell a thousand words. Im heading there next weekend with the East Coast contingint, and this just adds to the excitment.

Top Bottom