Moab - Ride Report, many a public Thank You, and a few regrets.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Well as I sit and consider the epic adventure, now some 3 days in the past I still am in awe of the wonder of the desert southwest and what God has wrought in the rock. Additionally, I am humbled by the many contributions (known and unknown) to the success of this adventure.

First the Thank You’s ...

Rodzilla - Rod went above and beyond to kindle the flame of knowledge, providing many ride suggestions and information regarding Moab and the surrounding area. Rod, thanks again and we need to meet and ride some of Moab together.

CJ Rider - For first mentioning the possibility of even going to Moab, by pointing out that Moab is ONLY 6 hours from Albuquerque. And for keeping the fire stoked in the best tradition of DRN, providing ride info and tantalizing photos of the wonders that awaited our arrival.

VintageDirt - Mr. Baca allowed me to park my trailer in his driveway (to the consternation of the local neighborhood association president) for two nights. The goal was three nights but a 7:00ish AM visit by the local bluehair vigilante convinced us it was time to move the trailer, so that brings me to ..

MamaDirt - Wes’s mother was gracious enough to allow me to move the trailer to her driveway on short notice. Parking the trailer in her drive was followed by tour of the Baca Mansion with appropriate notation of photos of Wes as a young man. Negotiations will soon be underway for publication rights of said photos. She is obviously quite proud.

tx246 and strsfan2 - Gene and Jeff are two of the finest riding partners I could have asked for. Gene went out of his way to make sure that we always managed to conquer all obstacles, often manhandling many if not all of the bikes over them with our less experienced help. Additional thanks to both Gene and Jeff for always being humorous and laughing at our many predicaments that we found ourselves in. These guys are the stuff memories are made of.

Additionally I want to thank the pioneers that visited Moab in the dim past, forging the way for those of us that have followed and lastly ...

I want to thank DRN and everyone here for being part of the family and making memories like these possible. Almost every weekend there are memories being made somewhere in the DRN world and it is safe to say the sun never sets on DRN.

Thanks one and all and now on to the ride report ...

Day Zero - May 12th

Day zero consisted of me running around Albuquerque picking up last minute odds and ends, Jeff and I shopping for food and finally getting on the road after picking up Gene at the airport about 7:30PM. Day zero stretched until we shut down the truck besides the Colorado River about 4~5 miles north out of Moab about 2:00 AM on Day One.

Day One - May 13th

After rising quickly as the traffic along 128 passed within mere feet of our heads, we grabbed breakfast at the Moab Diner and plotted the days activity. A couple of cups of 100 proof coffee and I was ready for anything. Deciding to take the day easy we headed north to the parking area for Klondike Bluffs trailhead. We burned a fair amount of the morning sorting out gear and rejetting the 200 for the 5000 foot elevation, but we managed to be on the trail heading out by 11ish.

Klondike Bluffs Trail - The start of this trail (because of where we parked) started with about 2~3 miles of easy fire roads. Reaching the gate for the trail, we found a wide single track style trail with numerous lines that eventually tightened into one line as we approached the hills bordering Arches National Park. One last little challenge and we found ourselves at the border of the park and a fence with a personnel gate. A hike of ½ mile rewarded us with our first view of the park. After many photo-ops we reversed our path and returned to the truck for a break in the shade. Noting a large area to the south of the Klondike Bluffs trail we headed out again to see what we could find. We soon stumbled onto the ...

Sovereign Trail system and found some challenging single track and a great little ATV loop that was very new and not grooved for ATVs which allowed us to open the bikes up. This entire loop reminded me of Moonrocks this spring without the whoops. Great stuff and much of it negotiable in 5th gear at half or more throttle. Big uphills followed by blind downhills added greatly to the pucker factor. As the sun was falling on day one we tallied up about 50 miles total for the days ride, not bad for one experienced rider and two wantabees.

A quick trip to the City Market procured ice and dinner and we soon found ourselves happily stuffed and snoozing in space 46 on aisle 3 of the Moab KOA campground.

Day Two - May 14th

Morning dawned on three tired and sore campers (we slept on the floor of the trailer) but coffee and breakfast got us up and stirring, looking for new challenges for the day. Again heading north, we targeted the opposite side of 191 and the daunting prospect of the ...

Golden Spike Jeep Trail -Situated on the bluff across from Arches National Park the Golden Spike Jeep Trail offers heart stopping views off of bluffs easily 1000 feet above the valley floor towards Arches to our east. Black Diamonds and Double Black Diamonds sprinkled the last 60 percent of the route, so I began the ride by discounting our ability to ride the entire length without a gas stop. Boy did I underestimate the Medium and Medium + trails. There were many an outcrop to climb and more than a few challenges that brought us to a halt to contemplate a line through the maze. We were eventually rewarded with a stop at the edge of the rim overlooking the park below and a sun high in the sky. A conversation with a couple riding south to north (we were heading north to south) left us with a better understanding of the trail ahead and the decision to turn back while we still had fuel for the return trip. Never mind that the next 4+ miles was all Double Black. After lunch and more fuel we headed back out towards ...

Gemini Bridges Road - Don’t let anyone kid you about roads, they were often little more that goat paths that some cruel individual had originally traversed in an old M38 jeep many years in the past. This road provided many great views to the west.

Tired and ready for dinner, Gene volunteered and we dined on some of the best butterfly porkchops I have ever had the pleasure of eating.

Day 3 - May 15th

Saturday dawned with the renewed purpose of riding until our wheels fell off as this was it. Heading south we pulled into the parking spot for the ...

Behind the Rocks Trail - Just a mile or so up the road from the parking area the map noted a “Very difficult 4WD maneuver”. That turned out to be an understatement and it turned out to be the second obstacle of the day. Not a ½ mile from the parking area we were faced with what appeared to be a unridable object. A wall of rock 3 (or so) feet in diameter was strewn and stacked across the entire trail and sprinkled liberally with loose rock and sand. Approaching 20 feet in total height, it left us hunting a way to get the bikes to the top. Twenty minutes of studying, cursing and prodding got us to the top with many hours of daylight ahead. Now on to the “Very difficult 4WD maneuver” Rounding a bend, I was faced with a bottomless pit covered with rubber from the many attempts made by jeeps on the face. The path dropped 30 (or more) feet only to rise almost as quickly back to the same height we currently inhabited. While I looked for the bridge across the creek bottom Gene found another route to the bottom and off we went. The hill was soon 2 and 0 in the lead with the two strokes losing the battle for the title of “King of the Hill”. As has been said, the third time is the charm and in this case it was as Gene rode my 400 up the gnarly hill from a heretofore unseen angle that conquered the hill and brought Gene the title of “King of the Hill”. The celebration was short-lived as we had only made maybe a mile and a half in an hour, so it was off to Picture Frame Arch. A nice cool breeze, and shade awaited us at the arch. Heading west again, we continued along the ...

Kane Creek Canyon Rim Trail and the fabulous views of Kane Springs Canyon and Trail below. The trail became quite rocky and at some point I contacted Mother Earth with my expansion chamber on the 200 (although at that point undetected) and began the process of making my bike a mess with spooge. Stopping at an overlook we watched a truck slowly traversing the trail below, all the while listening to his stereo like it was next door. Gene and Jeff both recognized the artist/tune although I have to admit I hadn’t a clue.

Returning to the truck, we discovered the errors of my ways and spent a couple of hours beating the pipe back into submission with a ball pien hammer and a chunk of 4x4 I found in my truck. Not prefect, but close enough we headed out to ...

Kane Creek Canyon Trail - Totally unlike anything else encountered at Moab, this trail left me wishing we had started there that morning. It was beautiful and full of life like many hidden areas of the desert. The trail wound along the southern face of the trail, crawling up, over and around boulders in its path until rejoining the stream trickling through the bottom of the canyon. All the while, I noted, another trail followed the creek along the northern edge of the canyon. This memory proved to be important as we encountered two more seemingly insurmountable rock formations and the lower trail cut out one on the return trip. A race against sunset pitted us against time and we finally stopped and reversed course at 7:00 PM, racing the loss of sunlight back to the truck. One last short spurt down Highway 191 as the last rays of sun faded left us tired and satisfied with the days ride, wishing only that we had seen more of the canyon.

Wendy’s served up dinner as we were all too tired to consider cooking and it was off to bed.

Day Four - May 16th

While Gene packed the trailer (he is heading back in a month with his wife and kids) Jeff and I completed a whirlwind tour of Arches National Park. The scenery is without compare and well worth the time (actually way more than the slightly over two hours that we spent). 11 Am found us hitched up and on the road back to civilization.

Regrets: I regret not getting OnAnySunday’s message on Saturday. Just south of Amarillo on 287, my phone woke up to the fact I had a message. Sorry Wally, we will plan better next time. Another regret is not being able to share the time with a bigger group of buddies. This is a must ride and if you don’t have it on your list of places you have to go ... (trust me on this) ADD IT!

Until Next Time!

MelloYello

~SPONSOR~
Nov 22, 2002
Great report, Tony! I am so jealous, I've been wanting to go to Moab for awhile now. Maybe in the fall. But until then, I'll re-read your report every now and again to keep the fires stoked. Thanks!:thumb:

Where are the pictures, man?

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Thanks for the report Tony, it's almost like being there. Just how much time did you spend with my Mom? She's single you know. Can I call you Dad? Can I have a new bike? How 'bout the keys to the Duramax? Twenny bucks for the prom or better yet a hunnert-an-twenny for my 30 year reunion? :)

TreeTalker

May 8, 2004
Man what a great time it must have been. I have mountain biked for years before starting on a dirt bike last year. And Moab is was the must go biking area also. I will start saving my pennies for a future trip. You guys didn't happen to take pictures did you??? If so post them please, as I am sure lots would love to see the beauty of the area.
Till next time......dream big guys.....Lee

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
TreeTalker said:
You guys didn't happen to take pictures did you??? If so post them please, as I am sure lots would love to see the beauty of the area.
Till next time......dream big guys.....Lee

300+ :yikes: ... I will get some up on the site as soon as I can.

I failed to mention the fact that there were a bunch of mountain bikers there while we were there. We didn't have any problems and only a couple snubbed their noses at us. Oh well ... Jeeps and bikes documented the routes long before mountain bikes took their first trip down the slopes of the Sierra Nevada mountains.

March~May seems to be the prime months with fall coming in second (I would assume less wildflowers then). I also suggest reservations before leaving for Moab. We stayed in a KOA campground with and camped out with my 7x14 trailer acting as home away from home.

The terrain is without compare and should be on everyone's MUST DO list.

Other thoughts ...

Be sure and purchase as copy of Moab East and Moab West maps by Latitude 40. Great maps and very accurate.

You might also consider purchasing copies of Canyon Country Off-Road Vehicle Trails books for the areas of interest. They have broken the area into various volumes. They are available from Amazon and likely some other places. Not many are available new, so start collecting early.

There are some GPS routes available, but as I don't have a unit as yet, I haven't much information on them.

Nestrick

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 6, 2003
Tony ... awesome report ... I've read it twice just to be sure I didn't miss anything. Looking forward to the pic's ... bet they also will be out of this world!

Hey, quick question or two if you get a chance. Other than jetting for the elevation ... did you do anything else to ready your ride for this area? How about tires ... what did you have on your bike and how did they fare under the conditions at Moab? If you had to install different tires ... any suggestions. Last question ... are there trails that folks who have only two or three years riding experience might be able to enjory without being a total burden to more experienced riders in a group ... or is this fundamentally an area for the expert rider only?

Again ... I recognize the time it takes to compose the words you put together that weave the story we all can enjoy ... thank you ... I look forward to your next adventure!

terry nestrick :cool:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Photos for Day 01 and 02 have been posted. There will be more to follow. Click on the DRNs Photo Gallery and sort by latest and you should find my name at or near the top.

Enjoy!

For the record ...

Day 01 photographs were taken with a Canon Elph 4.1 MP pocket camera

Day 02 photographs (and the balance) were taken with a Canon EOS D30 4.1 MP SLR camera with a 28mm~200mm F1:3.5~5.6 lens and circular polarizer filter.

I chose to move to my SLR because the light was too strong and the polarizer filter does a great job cutting down haze and glare from desert phtographs.

I will add more photos soon.

For anyone that wants a copy, I have all 300+ that I can burn to a CD. Shoot me an email or PM for info on how to get a copy.

Nestrick said:
Looking forward to the pic's ... bet they also will be out of this world!

I hope thay can do Moab justice.

Nestrick said:
Hey, quick question or two if you get a chance. Other than jetting for the elevation ... did you do anything else to ready your ride for this area? How about tires ... what did you have on your bike and how did they fare under the conditions at Moab? If you had to install different tires ... any suggestions. Last question ... are there trails that folks who have only two or three years riding experience might be able to enjory without being a total burden to more experienced riders in a group ... or is this fundamentally an area for the expert rider only?

We dropped the main a couple of sizes (175 if remember correctly) and raised the needle one clip on my 200. The 400 was fine and never missed a beat. Four stroke bikes don't seem to be as affected by the altitude (Moab probably averages 5500~6000 ft with Dallas being at 900ft). Regarding tires, almost any tire will likely work as the traction is better than riding on the street. Picture 60 grit sandpaper and you have the idea. Zero wheelspin on slickrock. I don't think I would put a new tire on for Moab. A new tire would not be needed unless your knobs are almost gone. There was some soft sand so a fairly good tire is required, but clearly not a new tire.

One last thought regarding preparation. The place is rocky, so be sure and have a skid plate and pipe guard (2 strokes) because you will hear rocks being lifted up by your front tire and flung at your cases a lot! I managed to taco my pipe on my 200 and am going to have to order a new one. This pipe gets put on the shelf for the next trip to Moab. :yeehaw:

Regarding experience ... there is a great deal of variety and riding available for all levels of experience. I will leave the burden answer to others ... I "felt" like a burden many times, but always tried to keep laughing.

Why don't we just start planning for next March/April? Works for me! :aj:

Last edited:

strsfan2

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2003
Nestrick, I have only been on a bike about five times now. I have to say this has to be the best trip so far. I don't think you have to worry about being a burden. Gene and my dad were such great help, they had advice on how to tackle certain obstecles. Don't let my dad fool you he does know what he is doing. I enjoyed every trail we went on, even the black diamonds. As I ride more and more, I find that the experienced riders of DRN are only there to help you get better.

Jeff Eeds

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
As the third wheel on this trip..............I gotta get my two cents in. Moab has been on my mind since I firtst rode thru there in 1992. I was a young adult suffering from a recent wifewhodumpedme episode. I didnt have any money but i had an fj1200 yamaha. I went out to western Colorado by myself. I wandered into Utah by no planned design. I found myself on Utah SH128 and soon found myself stunned by RedRock Country. It was a long way from Texas but man was it ever love at first sight. The whole southeast corner of Utah is spectacular. I returned on streetbikes for the next 8yrs with many friends and even a new wife. It was 1994 when i picked up my first dirtbike and when I went through Utah on my street trips I couldnt help but see the possibilites of riding off road.

For years I have been trying to make it to Moab on a dirtbike. Tony and I had talked about it several times but logistics for a trip like this are anything but easy. Its 1100 miles one way from my doorstop. This March I get "The Call" from Tony. I think it took me exactly one hour to find my wife who was out of town and get the kitchen pass. (thanks maggie). Truth told, she knew I would go with or without her approval but It sure makes it easier to come home. Tony had a convention in Albuquerque and the plan was hatched.

In years past we always rode thru Moab in late June/early July and there has never been a problem with lodging. Little did I know that March\May is BUSY!!! My fault for not securing lodging and it wont happen again. Anyway, we arrive with no set place to set up camp but I do remember the campgrounds outside of town and we use that for the first night. KOA and a very nicely equipped trailer end up as our 24/7 base for the rest of the trip.

This much anticipated trip was really happening. With maybe 3 hours sleep we ride the first day at Klondike Bluffs. I brought along both my 00 cr250 and 86xt600. I thought hey lets give the xt a chance and saddled it up for the day. I have owned this bike since 99 and the times I have ridden it on the dirt can be counted on one hand. Its a very large heavy motorcycle for the normal type of riding we do. Truth be told, I was kind of freaking about running out of gas on the mx bike. The riding we do around here rarely finds us more than a couple of miles from the truck. Anyway, the xt does great. It is tractable and comfortable. In the deeper sand it wasnt fun. The front wanted to tuck...........but hey its the original tire with 1900miles on it. Soverign Trial was awesome. The single track was gnarly and we got some seat time on it. After a dicey section, I look back and could tell that I needed to get off this trail or face a mutiny ;) on the part of our junior rider. Tony looped us onto the ATV portion and we had a blast. The day ended the way it started............I was bliss.

Day 2 found us riding the aforementioned trails that Tony talks about in the original post. The map showed the trail as being more technical so i pull out the CR and it runs like a top. This was the first time I have gotten to ride the CR since I did the subframe/seat shave modification and boy why did I wait so long? On the mx track I dont care but it always seems that when I need to put my foot on the ground on a trail,I cant even get close............much less starting the bike. Its a long day but we have a great day. We ran into quite a few moto folks on the trail today and Tony just slobbered over a KTM 400 that a lady was riding. It had a lowered suspension and it fit her like a glove.

Day 3 found us south of town and on new trails. They were even more technical but we were getting better at it. First part of the day found us on a tough rim trail but we worked thru it and it was worth the view. By the way Tony, the song/artist coming from that yellow 4x4 was "Shook Me All Night Long" AC/DC. Of course a trip without ADVERSITY is boring. Our trip was not boring. We get to the truck for lunch and Tony notices the pretzeled pipe. What Tony didnt tell yall is how long he banged on that thing in an attempt to get the thing back on when it would of been easy to just throw the bike in the trailer and call it done. Thank you Tony. We were rewarded with the coolest trail of the trip. It was late when we started in but the Kane Creek is just fantastic. I noted a very rough descent into the canyon and knew we would have to work our way back up so i marked my watch for a turnaround point. We continued on and made it 8 miles before having to turn around........very reluctantly. As it turns out we made it back at darkfall and the decison to turnaround was good.

General points about the riding include rocks and rocks with rocks on top of rocks. Just dont fall and everything will be fine. This where the dichotomy comes in. Every obstacle is a rock infested uphill or downhill. Falling is not an option. God rides a Montessa. Thats what kind of stuff you encounter. Lots of verticals sprinkled in those hill climbs too. More than one place you could see where an engine lost an oilpan. This is no place to be a hero. If you break a bike or yourself...........you are a long way from help. We rode a lot on the pilot jet and still had a way bitching time. At times, the gravity of an error in judgement, either riding or navigating was impressed upon me. Everybody in the party has to be error free to make Moab a trip to remember. Old tires are best. I added more air than normal to help prevent pinch flats. Lots of sharp edged impacts in the terrain. Its been said but worry as much about the water you carry as the amount of gas you put in your tank.

The guys I rode with were great. Very good company and always ready to ride. It was fun to watch the father/son relationship during this trip. Reminicent of me and my dad. As stated before, Jeff hasnt much seat time under him but his enthusiasm overcomes. Ive ridden with Tony quite a few times and I think after his long, long layoff he is getting all of his skills back. Great job Tony. By the end of the trip, Jeff had found the clutch and gas on uphill transitions. Keep it going Jeff.

MOAB ROCKS!!!

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Tony,

I truely was my pleasure and I too hope we can get together and ride sometime.

I am working on getting the information I gave you in a format I can share with anyone who wants it (guess I need to learn to make a web page) Including photos and GPS, unfortunately I broke my GPS antenna this trip. :think:

Just got back myself from the area this weekend and here is a mini trip report.

Tony did a good job of summing things up. But I want to say a few things in addition to his comments.

First, Moab is about so much more than just the ride...if you are going out there looking for tight single track or tree riding look elsewhere, almost all of the trails are accessable by Jeep so keep that in mind.

If you HATE rocks or sand...don't go, because that is pretty much all there is rocks X10 and if it ain't a rock it's sand or a sandy rock or rocky sand...take your pick ;)

If you are an A or AA enduro guy and are looking for the hardest nastiest stuff, I can point you at some of that...but most of the miles of trails you might find boring (I have no illusions of my skills, I find many areas challenging but I know I am an average rider at best...took a really fast guy out and he was dissappointed...but he could care less about the scenery)

But Moab is AMAZING for the sheer grandure of it. It truely is a national tresure. I've been there 20 times and I still burn 3 or four rolls of film each trip. Every 30 feet is another Kodak moment.

My best riding bud (and best friend) is now back in Denver from the east coast (job transfer) and he met a friend from New Jersey who he talked into coming out.

Jay, Doug and I left Denver Thursday afternoon for the 6 hour trip into Utah. Ford F-250 turbo diesel three bikes and a 30 foot camp trailer. Pulled into Moab about 10 pm.

Friday morning we geared up and headed to Moab Diner (only place we eat breakfast) then up to Potash road (we're dual sported) to Poison Spider Mesa, rode through to Golden Spike to Golden Crack then down to Gemini Bridges trail head. We took a video camera and naturally I did a dirt sample in the first minute of filming (I'm such a spode)

Quick trip to the gas station north of the trail head then off to Gemini Bridges, BLM has run a grader through this since my last visit so not too much to write home about. Down to Bull Canyon for a view of the bridges from below.

Day one milage 100 (includes a few mile of interstate) We intended to finish this day with a evening ride to Klondike for sunset..but our east coast guy was pretty beat! Cold local brew and a pie at Eddie McStiffs rounded out the day.

Saturday we head out to Sand flats, run around the slick rock trail then out to fins and things connect into the "back door" to Porcupine rim. Road the "rim" all the way through, the end (where most people turn around and go back) is about 4 miles of the only "real" single track in the area. Much of this is "hike a bike" for the mtn bikers (yea the pedel guys have to carry their bikes over much of this) Side hill with 200 feet down on one side and a wall on the other. Half way in we catch a guy who looks at our cycles and says: "You DO know what the end of this trial is like, right?" Yep.

Pull the highway back to camp, total for the morning 68 miles. Eat and drive up to Arches National Park, hike in to two arches including the 3 mile loop (1.5 miles up hill, 1.5 miles down) to Delicate arch at sunset. Total hike miles, 5 man I miss my KTM on these trips!

Sunday, "Technical day" Start the morning at the Diner then west to Pritchett Cyn. the Canyon is only about 5 miles long but with our skill sets it takes almost two hours. There are 7 major obsticals including a 4 foot vertical ledge. Most have silt sand leading up to them so getting a run at them is not an option. One bent subframe and broken bark buster later we get out of the canyon and onto "Behind the Rocks" as noted by Tony. Pull that through to the Highway with a quick stop at the sand dunes. Run to "Hole in the Rock" to refill the camelbacks then down to Kane creek. Complete the loop and your back to Kane Creek road in town. Total for the day 80 miles, total bike damage total...about $300

Sunday afternoon means shopping for trinkets in gratitude for the kitchen passes.

Monday we head out the old highway and stop at Dewey bridge for a quick trip to Top of the World. Part of the Kokopelli Trail, it sits 30 miles out side of town so it doesn't see much traffic. But IMO the best view point in the region (well second to maybe Dead Horse point)

Not a bad weekend (our east coast buddy, used to 90% humidity and tight trees, sleeps a good protion of the ride home) guess it was a job well done afterall :)

NOTE: We are in great danger of losing this incredible riding area. Southern Utah Wilderness Assoc. is trying really hard to get the BLM to close many of the areas. Unfortunatley the influx of Quads has not helped, there is much trail blazing going on in the desert. So please stay on the trails, pack out your trash and remember it takes years for things like banana peels and human waste to decay because there is so little moisture in the area.

What can you do to help? Join BRC at Sharetrails.org or more directly to the area join Utah Shared Access alliance at USA-ALL

Last edited:

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Oh MAN, Tony, this sounds like one of the most AWESOME trips to Moab you could have; I'm SO GLAD ya'll had such an adventure!!! That place is kinda like dirt riding Mecca, isn't it?! SWEET STUFF and Rod knows all the best trails for sure! ...Ya know... not everybody would have latched on to that "only 6 hours away" thing; that takes a certain type of maniac to say, "oh yeah, that's no big thing; let's GO!" LOL! I'd really like to ride with ya'll again so I hope you come back and we try to do this again sometime!!!

crf12002

Jun 24, 2004
Sounds like alot of fun. I live just 3 to 4 hours from Moab but have never ridden there. I need to make a trip down this year. I have ridden in the Bookcliffs that are in that general area, and it was a hoot. Lots of fun "obsticles" just like Moab.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Great writeup. I was out to Moab last October, Drove 26 hours straight thru one way to get there from Michigan. I could see the obsticals that you mention as clear as if I was there.

Behind the Rocks was a blast. As was poison spider trail. The Moab Rim trail is also a hair raising adventure.

Slickrock bike trail as well as Hells revenge is also a fun ride. Not too dificult but very cool.

Your right about the Kane Creek trail. That was just incredible. Such a nice change playing in the water compared to he normal dry desart trails we had rode.

If you go back contact www.Ruxtonnoble.com Ruxton works for the Forest service in Provo. He rides all week doing trail maintance. He is incredible in the rocks. Ran us into the ground. As he told me it dont take much to get him out for a ride.

When we went in October we pretty much had the place to ourselfs. There was very few jeepers and even fewer mountain bikers. The campgrounds were bare and we had the run of the place. It was great.

Last edited:
Top Bottom