emaxxer2002

Sep 22, 2006
The bike I'm looking at purchasing is an '87 YZ 80. I've been looking for a few small things and mods I'd like to do to the bike. I'm new to 2 strokes, so I figured I'd ask a few questions here.

I've been looking around, and it seems I can get almost any of the parts I'd need for this bike at sites like;

bikebandit
temeculamotorsports
worldofpowersports

A few questions now, I'm looking to do some small mods, I was thinking just a pro circuit 304 factory sound silencer I found on bikebandit, some Boyeson reeds and I was thinking of adding a UNI filter just for a little extra measure and at a cheap price. Also, does anyone know if the 304 silencer will be any louder then the stock pipe? I don't really want a loud bike that just draws attention. Judging by other 80's 2 strokes I've ridden (two DS's and a YZ) I'd imagine it'd be quieter, the stock pipe is loud as hell as it is. I'm just hoping to improve the look and performance of it, I don't want louder.

Now a few more 2 stroke questions. Will it be a problem if I were to replace the factory silencer and not the expansion chamber/header? Obviously it might look strange, but I was thinking of just pulling off the stock expansion chamer, sandblasting it, and then polishing it up just so it looks a little better then stock and black. Plus I can't even find an aftermarket header for this bike anyways, and I don't wanna fork out a bunch of money for one. Also, is there a difference between reed valves and reeds? I was looking at some FMF reed valves and some Boyeson reeds and they looked identical but I'm not sure.

Also, what exactly will the reed/reed valves do for me? Will they make a difference on a stock bike, or will they just be a waste of money? And are there any changes I'll need to make if I were to buy and put these things on the bike like plugs, carb adjustments, etc?

-Thanks, Brandon :)

Last edited:

emaxxer2002

Sep 22, 2006
Rideblue4ever said:
you should look for these parts on rockymountainatv they are cheap and shipping is free over 100 dollars and its fast

I didn't specify what site I'm gonna order from, all 3 I listed and the one you listed are good. All the parts are roughly the same price on all sites, the main reason I made this thread is to ask questions about the mods I listed and the effects of them. Thanks though.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
I had a '90 YZ80. No real mods at all, just spot-on jetting and clean air filters. I didn't think that the bike was "loud as hell". Oh well, anyway, if I can remember correctly, I believe that DG made a pipe and silencer for these bikes. I would check it out, as they carry alot of exhausts for older bikes.

Top Bottom