Molybdenum grease on new piston !?!?

johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
Hi,

I am in the middle on installing a wiseco piston kit in my 220.

The service manual indicates "If a new piston or a new cyliner are installed, apply a thin coat of molybdenum disulfide grease on the new piston and cylinder bore". It continues ..." Apply 2 stroke oil to the piston surface, piston rings and cylinder bore".

I'm confused. Why the heck would you apply Moly grease? Then apply 2 stroke oil over it. I have some Moly grease my shop... its think and mainly used for wheel bearings type of applications. I fear that the grease will build up in the ring groves and in the KIPS no matter how thin I apply it.

What do you think?

johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
Thanks Trailrider, you must be right. A quick search on the web tells me that cam lub or break-in lube are also known as Molybdene Disulfide LUBRICANTs. Not sure why the service manual says GREASE.

I was just checking out if you guys knew your stuff... ;)

One last thing that I should of asked in the first place:

Do you guys apply a thin film of silicon on the base and head gaskets when you reassemble the top end ? Looks like Kawasaki did not apply any at the factory. As well, the service manual doesn't specify this step. So, I guess, none is required. Right?

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
John- In my 96 factory service manual they showed putting the kips valves parts(forget name) BACKWARDS. I think their is a link somewhere on this site that shows proper installation. In newer manuals this typo may have been fixxed. Good luck

johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
I knew about that one, thanks to this forum and Canadian Dave's excellent web site.

By the way, I'll keep using Amsoil... With 2 solide riding seasons on the bike, all the parts look like new. No build-up, no sludge...

Top Bottom