More action needed on the lead ban in kid's bikes

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Go here to take action:
http://capwiz.com/amacycle/issues/alert/?alertid=14353321&queueid=[capwiz:queue_id]

On July 7, Rep. Denny Rehberg (R-Mont.) attached an amendment to the House fiscal year 2010 Financial Services Appropriations bill which prohibits the use of funds by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) for the implementation and/or enforcement of section 101(b) of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 (CPSIA) as it relates to youth-model off-highway motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs). To see Rehberg's press release on his amendment, Please Click Here .

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Here I went and believed the Common Sense amendment would take care of this? Stupid politicians! Thanks RM_Guy. Vintage Bob

Politicians have no common sense. Obutthead is proof of that.

Thanks for the link RM Guy.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Well I'm glad that at least 30 some people took the time to even look at this thread :( Talk about apathy in our sport. :uh:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
RM_guy said:
Well I'm glad that at least 30 some people took the time to even look at this thread :( Talk about apathy in our sport. :uh:

You are one hundred percent correct RM_guy. :cool:

I just shake my head in amazement sometimes by the people in our sport that don't give a crap about this stuff.

They will drive thousands of miles to a race but won't bother to drive 30 miles to a city or county meeting.

They will spend all day on the computer emailing their friends and playing on facebook and web sites like this one but, won't bother to send an email or letter to stop a land closure.

They will spend thousands on new motorcycles and much more to buy all of the trick goodies for their bikes but, won't send a few bucks to many of the good organizations that are fighting for our rights to ride.

I blame these people for the terrible state our whole country is in right now. Apathetic morons that expect someone else to do the work for them. I have several friends like this. When you ask them, "Are you going to the meeting next week to help keep our riding area open?" They say, they don't have time. But they have time to watch their favorite tv show or drink beer with their buddys. I have a couple of neighbors that I ride with that are like this. I ask them to go to the meetings and they say they don't have time. Then on the way home from the meeting, I see them in their garages drinking beer and bs'n. Pretty pathetic.

The way this country is heading, we won't have to worry about our motorcycles. If this communist health care bill passes, and it probably will since very few people are really standing up to it, we won't be allowed to participate in dangerous sports like motorcycle racing. If you do, your injuries will not be covered. I guarentee it. This will include every sport that they deem as dangerous. You better sell your skateboard too while it is still worth something.

If this Marxist administration has their way all public land will be off limits to the public. The huge land grab going on in Utah right now is proof of that. Some of the best off road riding in the world is in Utah. (Moab) It is also an area that is rich in minerals and oil. Do you really think they want it locked up because of the off road vehicles? :think:

Wake up America. Stand up to these Leftist morons that only want to control everything we do. If you don't, you will find yourselves in a very bad situation a few years down the road.

Sorry for the rant.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Don't apologize for ranting!! We need more people with the fire in their belly to make a difference in this "changing" country.

I see it all around me too..."I still have a place to ride so why bother" or "One person can't make a difference", and on and on and on. It really pisses me off.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Ditto 89er! Anyone lazier than me/computer illiterate has some real issues! I will stay atop this. I do not want to be an outlaw and jailed for taking my grandson riding. I erased the profanities. Vintage Bob

tommie d

Sep 26, 2008
I have wrote to all my representatives several times about all the issues of this "lead ban" but what gets me the most is the manufactures might have started all of this.

This is from another forum: 11/17/09

This article just came out in Powersport Industry News. Very interesting

OEM ACTIONS PULLED POWERSPORTS INDUSTRY INTO THE CPSIA
Originally designed to protect the nation’s children from toys, jewelry, clothes and other merchandise containing harmful amounts of lead that could be “mouthed” and ingested, the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 (CPSIA) ballooned to ultimately include small displacement ATVs, motorcycles and snowmobiles before being passed into law on Aug. 14, 2008.
So how did the powersports industry get drawn into the federal rule? Multiple documents point to the powersports industry itself –namely, to major vehicle manufacturers who, working together under the banner of the Coalition for Safe and Responsible ATV Use, unwittingly precipitated the action via a lobbying campaign launched to stem the tide of small displacement powersports vehicles coming from manufacturers, mostly from China, who were entering the market in growing numbers – and who were slowly chipping away at the market share amassed by the leading OEMs.
In 2005, Polaris industries – one of six major ATV manufacturers involved in the Coalition, alongside BRP, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha – urged passage of a bill to prohibit a manufacturer from distributing any ATV unless it complied with safety standards accepted by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). In other words, the Coalition had agreed to give the CPSC unfettered power to regulate youth-sized powersports vehicles.
Three years later, in July 2008, after OEMs invested hundreds of thousands of dollars on lobbying efforts, the Coalition published a press release that “applauded” Congress for passing a bill that required all companies that import or sell ATVs in the U.S. to comply with the same vehicle safety standards and to implement the same training and other safety initiatives that "established" ATV manufacturers have followed. The bill, which created immediate mandatory standards for all ATVs sold in the U.S., within one month became a part of the CPSIA.
However, while the Coalition initially sought the government’s assistance in codifying safety guidelines, including appropriate configuration and performance aspects of ATVs, speed restrictions on youth ATVs, free hands-on training programs, and promotion of helmets and other proper gear, the OEMs’ willingness to allow the CPSC to regulate vehicle standards experienced an unforeseen blowback.
On Oct. 16, 2008, the CPSC held a public meeting regarding the application of the CPSIA to ATVs. In the presentation it was noted that ATVs would have to comply with other sections of the CPSIA beyond the section specifically labeled for ATVs, including the lead content sections that outlined that products sold for use by children 12 years of age or younger 1) could not contain more than 600 parts per million (ppm) of lead as of Feb. 10, 2009, 2) could not contain more than 300 ppm of lead after Aug. 14, 2009, and 3) may not contain more than 100 ppm after Aug. 14, 2011.
That’s when the true impact of the CPSIA became apparent to industry stakeholders – manufacturers, dealers and consumers – and resulted in the same OEMs who had for years lobbied together for tighter restrictions governing youth sized powersports vehicles to go on the defensive in an effort to turn back the new requirements, and the loss of millions of dollars inrevenue, they had instigated.
Learn more about the CPSIA HERE.
GoDaddy

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I was hoping the above post was false? Anybody? So the oems lobbied to get this past, no kidding? They can not meet these standards, no one can! This sounds stupid enough to be real. So sad. Vintage Bob

army4744

Dec 13, 2009
The ban??????

I guess i don't understand why they are trying to ban kids bikes,are we raiseing our kids and makeing decisions for them or is the goverment? The last time i checked i was paying my kids bills and putting food on the table for them, isn't this America, land of the free home of the brave? WHATS NEXT???????????? I served my time in Iraq,i think i should have the right to decide if my kid should have a bike or not. Oh yeah i just bought them two Yamaha ttrs for christmas, this summer is going to be a blast with my kids! :nener:

Top Bottom