jgino157

May 17, 2002
After this weekend ride, I plan on changing the oil in my forks. I've noticed that if you compress the springs, at about 3'' down they make a slight click and it feels like about a quarter inch of free play until the spring stiffness picks up again. I've never changed the fork oil(just the springs) and any tips on changing the oil and fixing the click would be greatly appreciated........

Dazza

Jan 1, 2002
What year bike?
Generally I find it easier to remove the forks then work on them.
I can't comment on the "inverted" forks.
But I can help you with conventional style (the right style for enduo)

jgino157

May 17, 2002
Sorry, '97 kdx220........I've never removed the forks from the bike. Last year I just popped the new springs in and adjusted the oil level. I suspect the noise is coming from the bottom. Anything I need to know about the bottom of the tubes???? Are they easy to disassemble??

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Did you get a spacer attached to the bottom of each spring you pulled out? There is one (on each). The new springs will NOT seat properly without 'em. And if you don't attach them to the spring BEFORE install, the spring will NOT 'find' them on install.

Curious...having not removed the forks, how did you go about setting the oil level? Compressing the fork (spring out) with it in the bike would be cumbersome, not to mention the angle issue.

Easy to disassy? Takes a BIG allen. Might have better luck breaking them loose BEFORE you take it all apart. Otherwise, you'll need a soft-jawed vise to hold the fork when you wrench on the valve base. Some protective padding for the vise anyway.

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
Did you get a spacer attached to the bottom of each spring you pulled out?
Are you talking about the washer like attachment on the bottom of the OEM fork springs? I just got some Race Tech .38s and they don't have the attached washer. Should I pull the ones off the OEMs and attach them to the Race Tech springs?

BTW, the fork parts diagram on buykawasaki doesn't show this washer

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
I don't quite understand. The spring never gets anywhere near the bottom of the fork. Doesn't it seat on top the fork cylinder?

Dgaffler

Feb 28, 2002
Are you applying the front brake when you are compressing the forks?
If you are try compressing them without using the brake. I had a similar feel to mine but it turned out to be a little play down in the front brake area. Hope this helps...

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Jeffw:
'The bottom' meaning as far toward the bottom it gets..wherever that actually is. No, it's not ON the bottom.....that would be a long spring, 'eh?;)

jgino:

re: what dgaffler said......I hope you aren't referring to the floating rotor? Is that the 'clicking' you're saying is coming from the forks? I took 'If you compress the springs...' NOT to mean you're sitting there rocking it back and forth with the BRAKE on...

If that's it...then GREAT insight from dgaffler!!

jgino157

May 17, 2002
Yeah, I was rocking it with the brake on......I'll try it without the brake and see what happens. Thanks for the info......

Top Bottom