Seth_88

~SPONSOR~
Feb 22, 2000
I just installed the Race Tech Gold Valves in my 03 YZ250 forks. The recommended settings for me were the CL8 and the CH5 valving without removing the midvalve and the standard rate springs, oil height 90mm. I'm a 175lb intermediate that just rides MX. The forks have better action now, except that they are still bottoming pretty hard on flat landings from decent sized jumps. If I went up on the high speed valving to the next stiffer stack, would this help prevent the bottoming or just make the ride harsher? Anyone have a shim stack recommendation, or would the next stiffer springs help? I notice on my sheet that without the midvalves removed, the stack is much stiffer that if I had changed it to a check valve(CL5 & CH4 w/check valve). Are the forks more easily tuneable with this modification?

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
The reason they go stiffer with the mid valve removed is because the forks will be a lot softer without the mid valve contributing to your overall damping. Leave the mid valve in but try a little more compresion.

I would try a little more low and high speed. Bottoming can often be caused by not enough low speed as the forks can go thru the first part of the stroke too quick building up too much momentum that cant be controlled by the high speed damping.
IMO the race tech chart settings are usually to soft for fast/agressive mx riders.They run somewhat high oil levels to stop bottoming but soft valving in an attempt to try and give a plush initial feel. IMO the soft valving lets the forks go thru the early part of the stroke too fast. This may be ok when going slow but charge hard into some square edged braking bumps and things can get ugly.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
AND .........Spend an evening with the shim tutorial program that's been posted here a number of times. It's not just as simple as adding a level to either the High or Low stack. You'll get a whole new perspective on how it all works [together]. Having already configured a stack or two - it'll make more sense to you. KEEP GOOD NOTES

Top Bottom