pdiddy

Mar 5, 2004
I have an 04 KDX200, air box lid removed, twin-air filter, boyseen reeds, and I just installed a PC platinum 2 this afternoon. Right now the jetting is 152 main, 42 pilot, stock needle. I have also set the float level on the low end. The bike STILL seems rich. Today I went for a spin at 40 degrees and 2000ft. So in the spring when I ride at 65 degrees and 3000ft to 5000ft, it will be even richer!

I run castrol TTS oil and when hot, the bike should hardly smoke. Yet is still smokes too much. It also has a bog on the bottom. If I am in the low to mid part of the RPM's and grab a handful, it just goes blug blug. Oil is dripping out of the end of the silencer and the junction between the pipe and silencer is dirty. The bike also sputters on the bottom and at idle. The top seems to be ok, but the people behind me say that I throw quite a cloud of smoke.

I am thinking going one smaller on the pilot and main, so down to 150 main, 40 pilot. Is anyone running jets that small? Keep in mind that I do ride at fairly high elevations, 3000ft to 5000ft typically.

thanks!

domino dave

Sep 24, 2003
I ride similar altitude,(northern calif. woods)...Boysen reeds, stock needle one notch leaner, 148 main ,42 pilot. Runs great, maybe a little rich.Do a search on jetting. Dave

hunter1

Feb 27, 2004
If you have a low bog this is an indication of a lean condition, drop the clip on the needle one position and see if this helps, even two positions just to see if this is in fact the problem.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
When you "wick it" at low RPMs does it cut out then take off or sputter like it's loaded up and needs to be "cleaned out" (lean vs. rich condition)? When you do the same with the choke on does it get better or worse? If it cuts out then catches and takes off (lean) put the air box lid back on and try it again.

If that's bean oil you're using what's the ratio? I'm not familiar with what effect bean oil would have on your condition.

When you say 'low on the float level' do you mean that your fuel in the bowl is at a slightly lower level than stock? How's your needle and seat look. Is it seating good? It just seems to me that you are at least lean enough on your jetting that I wouldn't expect a rich bog even if you are a little bit on the rich side.

pdiddy

Mar 5, 2004
Rhodester said:
When you "wick it" at low RPMs does it cut out then take off or sputter like it's loaded up and needs to be "cleaned out" (lean vs. rich condition)? When you do the same with the choke on does it get better or worse? If it cuts out then catches and takes off (lean) put the air box lid back on and try it again.

If that's bean oil you're using what's the ratio? I'm not familiar with what effect bean oil would have on your condition.

When you say 'low on the float level' do you mean that your fuel in the bowl is at a slightly lower level than stock? How's your needle and seat look. Is it seating good? It just seems to me that you are at least lean enough on your jetting that I wouldn't expect a rich bog even if you are a little bit on the rich side.

I will have to try it with the choke on tomorrow. I just have a hard time thinking it is lean with how much this thing smokes, sputters, and how much oil is dripping out of the silencer.

I am not using bean oil. Castrol TTS is a full synthetic oil, and I am running it at 36:1 I believe.

The fuel in the bowl is lower than stock (the bike would flood everytime I shut it off and then tried to restart a few minutes later, so I lowered the float level and solved that problem) and the needle and seat are good. I made sure to inspect them before re-installing last time.

Thanks for the help.

domino dave

Sep 24, 2003
pdiddy said:
The fuel in the bowl is lower than stock (the bike would flood everytime I shut it off and then tried to restart a few minutes later, so I lowered the float level and solved that problem) and the needle and seat are good. I made sure to inspect them before re-installing last time..
You should not have to adjust your float lower than stock... Something is not right.It may be your float itself. I had one that leaked,(just a little).The result was that the float was a little bit heavier, thus not shutting off when it should, and causing a choking type situation.(The float bowl was overflowing). A new float solved my problem.Dave

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
You can go 2mm lower than stock and be fine. I did this to eliminate "peeing" when the bike was on the kick stand. It does seem to me, as domino dave said, that there is a float problem. Either the needle and seat are questionable or (more than likely) your float is sinking causing it to flood and/or run rich on the bottom.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
All good advice -- your problem is probably a bad float. Before or after try a 40 pilot with the needle clip in the next to top position. You are definitely running rich. Change one thing at a time on jetting. You should be lean enough on the main jet. Usually engines do not seize at low speeds! Cheers John

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom