terrible

Jun 26, 2006
I'm thinking about putting some money in my rm85 before winter gets here. The bike is just about brand new with maybe 6-8 tanks threw it. I'm looking for a bit more low end without losing any mid-top end. How well do the aftermarket pipes help these bikes? Would a new muffler do anyhting buy its self? What about reed cages with cf reeds? Thanks! :cool:

Cody305

Jan 19, 2006
terrible said:
I'm thinking about putting some money in my rm85 before winter gets here. The bike is just about brand new with maybe 6-8 tanks threw it. I'm looking for a bit more low end without losing any mid-top end. How well do the aftermarket pipes help these bikes? Would a new muffler do anyhting buy its self? What about reed cages with cf reeds? Thanks! :cool:

We had '02, '03' & 04 RM85's and put a DEP Pipe and Silencer on all of them, added a V-Force3 Reed Cage and jetted the bikes. We also added Race Tech suspension.
The DEP pipe works extremely well on the RM for extra low end power. You can also port the motor.

On a side note: Everyone seems to bash the Honda 85 for having no lowend power. We thought the same thing until we bought one in '05. The Honda has as much low end as the RM does and still pulls harder up top.
We switched to the Honda after we broke the frame on our '04 RM. We race a lot at Millville, MN and my son puts up better lap times on his stock Honda vs his mod RM.
Something about not having headshake on the hills :cool:
I am not bashing the RMs at all, the Honda just fits my kids riding style better and his results show it.
Dependability, I'd take the Honda over any of the brands every time! The RMs tend to "rattle and shake" and wear out parts faster then our Honda. The KTM...sorry, not for me. They are fast, but not reliable enough. I hate dnf's!
Oh ya...OEM Honda parts are cheaper too :boss:

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
biggest bang for the buck is the V-Force 3 reeds. Even the V-Force 2 are good. you can sometimes find them on the auction site. we run the entire bike stock except for the reeds/bars and the bike is very competative.

Top Bottom