More problems with the RM 250 Reving like crazy!

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Well after taking the carb apart numerous times, ive made sure the slid and everything is working properly. When i pulled the bowl off I noticed there was some really thick oil in the jets, I'm wondering if i left the fuel line on when I dumped the oil in first? Either way there was fuel in the carb and it definately seems more like an air leak to me. Sorry to hear about the car Dave, I have a suzuki manuel but I really need to get a clymer's. I drained the fuel remixing it, and will try again but I doubt its going to make a difference. Thanks for all the help everyone its greatly appreciated.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
While I have never tried straight pre mix oil before, (man at the hp increase!) I do know a guy, he tried blocking off the jets to see the difference? The engine WILL draw fuel some how, and through the damnedest places? I have yet to hear someone yanking the right crank seal and running straight pre mix oil in the tranny? Back to the issue, an advanced ignition could be an issue for high revs? What does the plug say? You should be able to tell if its lean from fuel or timing? Or just something hanging the throttle?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Good point on the timing. Chris, did you line up the marks like it shows in the manual when you re-installed the stator?

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Yeah I made sure the timing was dead on, and this plug is a little wet still from before when my stator was dying! I'm 99% sure its not the throttle, the boots have no holes, and everything in the carb was right. This bike has been such a mystery since I got it, so much for an ex supercross bike maintained by a crew.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
if you pull the pipe off can you see the valves?? if so i would manually open them to make sure that when you checked for the lever action it is really opening them.

whenever i repair a machine at work and it still doesnt run right 50% its something to do with the repair i just made the other 50 is when i find the root cause of the damaged component, you didnt have any damage as far as we know

eagles22793

May 25, 2008
I have had the same problem with one of my bike and the slide in the carb that has the needle throw it was backwards so make sure that is in right it should have a tab for the idle on one side but maybe can go in another way i dont think the crank seal has anything to do with it and yes it can be changed without splittiing the cases

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
okay well this may be a first... I must have left the fuel shutoff valve open and straight oil ran into the carb. Like I said in my previous post the carb did have thick oil in it. I cleaned the jets and put it back togather today, and to my amazement it fired up and ran right! Wow and here I thought i needed to replace the crank seal, thanks for all the help guys this forum is awesome!!!

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I have never run my bike completly out and had to mix in the tank, but if I do i'll remember to shut the valve off...thanks for posting the rooot cause!!

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Once I got it fired up, it smoked about as much as a forrest fire until I ran it down the street a couple times. I'm really having issues now with my neighbors who are in their early 30's and have a two year old kid. Everytime i start my bike or anyones I work on and even ride it down the side of road once they are complaining! She's like my kid is sleeping blah blahh blahhh and its in the middle of the afternoon, when all kinds of loud cars and people blasting their music drive by constantly.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
...until I ran it down the street a couple times...
Yeah, you should avoid doing that. If you feel you really need to start it up to check out something at least let them know so you don't piss them off to much. Ask them when a good time would be and then stick to it but don't make a habit of cruising up and down the road. If they see that you want to work with them you'll have much less trouble. OK, preacher hat off...

BTW, glad you got it running!!!!! :)

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Yeah it sucks not living in the country where you can do what you want.
I've been quiet for about 2 months but last night we got out the kdx and the kx and did about 15 laps around the house, I laped my buddy who was on my kx125 2 times and then we put them up and left for some wings

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Well today me and my buddy went to go riding at the trails, and it was really hard to start up when yesterday it was firing on the first kick. Got it running and it ran okay for about 10 minutes then the idle started to creep back up and surging a bit like an air leak again. I put the choke on, and it didn't seem to make a big difference but it did help a bit. It's almost like its starving for fuel, and leaning out... I've about had it with this bike, nothing but problems. All my friends keep telling me to get a 4 stroke, but I love the 2 stroke 250.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Verify that the plug is wet or dry. Lean and ran out of gas, or lean from an air leak. Checking rubber boots is flexing, rolling and looking for small hair line cracks.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
I pulled the plug and its slighty brownish to almost white which is scary when it used to run rich always. The bike has V force delta reeds that came with it so I'm not sure how old they are, and i noticed the carb bowl now has a slight leak... One of the screws is kind of stripped so I'm guessing thats why. I'm also going to drain the tranny oil and make sure it wasnt buring it, and might be low where it was now sucking air? I'm not going to give up though, I love the bike.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The left crank seal, not the right. Pull the rotor, douche some baby powder around the seal. If it sticks around the sealing areas, its leaking. The front lower, center of the cases is another good area for a leak. Rocks and pry bars are attracted. You may see an oily spot at the seal area? The reeds are good for not getting sealed up good, not the brand. Them gaskets are not reusable once installed. A light wipe of appropriate gasket sealer can pay off on questionable areas. And the float bowl sealing is kinda important also. If its the crank seal, double check the crank throughly! And the rubber boot on the carb, check it again, for cracks especially by the clamp. Vintage Bob

Top Bottom