More technique quetions...

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
Ok, so after a couple of lessons here's what I've believe I've learned correctly:

1. I should be standing up on the balls of my feet unless I'm in a turn with legs straight but not locked.
2. my head should be over the handle bars (so I can read the number plate if I looked down) and it should move little to none between standing and sitting.

So how do you shift gears then? You have to move you foot forward right? And to brake (though this seems less of a problem since I'm learning to rely much more on the front brake)?

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
i only ride on the balls of my feet when in deep ruts or woods riding for safety. the point is to get a little suspension action out of your ankes.......if theres a jump you dont get a good enough run at and need a little extra preload i guess it could help, but other than that i would rather concentrate on something other than foot placement . after a while foot placement becomes 2nd nature anyways

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
I have read on here and have been instructed by Matt Lee (I went to a MX school also) that shifting should be thought of as a whole leg motion more then a ankle motion, because with boots on its alot harder to shift. So you should just slip you foot under the shifter and pop the whole thing up by lifting your leg, so yes, I would imagine if riding on the balls of your feet, you should have to move your foot forward a little, unless you have huge feet.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
1, Yes, I generally ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs and scoot them forward to shift or brake as needed.

2. Fore/Aft posistion totally depends on what you doing, sometimes I'll have my head over the bars, sometimes I'll be farther back on the bike. The importaint thing is to get comfortable moving around as needed to get the bike to do what you want. Generally, its good to bend at the waist and knees a good bit and squeeze the bike with your legs for better controll (plus gripping the bike with you legs/knees goes a long way in eleminating headshake).

good luck and have fun:)

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
haji where did you go for lessons if it wasnt from a buddy
your in tampa right i was thinking on lessons also and then some novice racing up here in dade city (when bike is fixed)
also there is new track in brooksville i might check it out also

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
thanks for the tips,
sparky, we've been once to the Dade City school that runs Saturdays from 9am to 1 and once to the Bartow that runs Fridays from 6pm to 8.

They're both good, the Dade City one has a lot more students, so they split up into groups.

The Bartow one is less number of students so a little more personal, but you maybe riding with some experts. Vince Devane, the instructor, is a former factory rider. We'll be going to the Bartow one more for now because its closer and the boy has Baseball games on Saturday mornings. Both are well worth the $25 imo.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
As mentioned, you don't stay over the bars. You move around in preparation for what you are getting ready to do. If you are accelerating, you should be forward. if you are braking, you should be farther back. If you are turning left, you should have the bike laid down lower than you and your crack on the right side of the seat with your weight primarily on your right foot and knee.

The second thing Ike DeJagger teaches is proper body movement for different situations. The first is control placement so you can use them when your body is in the correct place.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
What helps me the most is just staying loose. Don't try to fight the bike, if it dosen't feel right, it probably isint. Probably the most important thing is to squeese the tank/seat at all times, it helps you hold on much better and leaves the arms/hands free to controll the bike.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…