sixds

Mar 25, 2007
I'm having trouble shifting while standing up on my bike, especially shifting up. I normally ride on the balls of my feet and moving my foot forwards to click into a higher gear seems to put the bike off balance. Changing the shifter position on the shaft didn't seem to help.

Whats really bugging me is that i see people shifting while standing up doing wheelies and stuff, and they just seem to think its no harder than shifting while sitting.

Is it just technique or should my bike be set up differently?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
technique...

I don't have a problem shifting sitting or standing.

You just need to get comfortable moving your feet around on the pegs when standing.

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
I'm just a beginner so don't take this as knowledgable advice.

I've been practicing not only changing my foot positions while standing up, but literally jumping on my pegs. Just to be able to find my pegs when I lose contact. I want to have the confidence I can find those when I'm landing.

I think it is really important to practice things like weighting your pegs if balance is the issue. It's not a bad idea sitting or standing. Moving your foot standing will change your balance for sure! That it kind of the whole point of riding motorcycles and what makes them so scary fun. ;) You need to know what that feels like and more importantly how to use it to your advantage.

I'd recommend doing drills slo-mo. The idea is to get the feel of it going slow, then go fast. Drills are awesome confidence builders.

Flux3D

Aug 8, 2007
Yeah, number one thing to do to help with shifting while standing is to just practice and figure out what is comfortable for you. But you might try supporting your weight more with your arms on your handlebars while shifting. This way you have less weight on your feet and it is easier to move your foot to shift. Of course you want to return to supporting most of your weight with your legs when done shifting ;)

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
Actually my instructor gave that same advice about more weight on the bars- which, sitting at least- is exactly the opposite of what I've been working on for a year.

For my part- and I realize this is your thread Sixds- but we're working on the same skill- my issue with riding standing up & shifting standing up at the moment is finding the right hand placement. I have fairly small hands and my levers are set up well for a split fingered approach to both throttle and brakes....We don't want to change their position at this point. But I'm struggling. I have only once had that moment where they felt like they were where they needed to be fluidly. So I keep working on finding my balance and feets, stomping jumping and shifting and getting in touch with my back brake. I'm hoping the hands thing will work itself out while I make busy with the other. I'm open to suggestions however!! It just doesn't feel right.

Moving the shift lever position worked for my girl's shifting while standing up. It was too low.

MSB22

Feb 19, 2008
i dunno..you might want to even practice while the bikes on the stand..not moving standing up...I dunno if its hard on it to shift while its not running but..i doubt it...

Maybe get you comfortable doing it...

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
well i found an open field and started practicing. the big mistake i was making before was using two fingers to pull the clutch in. using one finger still lets me have a good grip on the bars, but i can still pull the clutch in. leaning forward seemed to help a bit as well.

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
You can pull your clutch in with one finger? :yikes:

I wish I could do that. I have a very stiff clutch, and have to use three fingers. I would use four, but my lever is busted off too short for that, so I use three and a mighty full body yank. Although generally, I don't use the clutch unless I have to.

Hopefully once my hands get stronger from riding, after a winter of being lazy, I will be able to do it with two....I hope :blah:

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
250girl said:

I wish I could do that. I have a very stiff clutch, and have to use three fingers. I would use four, but my lever is busted off too short for that, so I use three and a mighty full body yank. Although generally, I don't use the clutch unless I have to.

Hopefully once my hands get stronger from riding, after a winter of being lazy, I will be able to do it with two....I hope :blah:

i never used to be able to on this bike. i just bought a new motion pro cable and some cable lube so mine is smoooooooth

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
250girl said:

Get yourself a new clutch lever. YOu need the full length, think leverage, it will be easier to pull in. Also, I recommend moving you clutch perch in towards the center of your bars some, this helps in 2 ways.
1.. Gives you more of the needed leverage

2.. If and when you fall, the lever is not hanging out past the bar end.

Hope this helps,

Rick

jasonent0613

Apr 20, 2008
yer i use three fingers for the clutch but i am often taking them off the lever like when im half on a flat corner or on woops i hold on with all my fingers but other than that i use three fingers.
ill get a new cable, that should soften it up

jasonent0613

Apr 20, 2008
yer i use three fingers for the clutch but i am often taking them off the lever like when im half on a flat corner or on woops i hold on with all my fingers but other than that i use three fingers.
ill get a new cable, that should soften it up

jasonent0613

Apr 20, 2008
ive never had trouble shifting gears sitting or standing.
but i can see how someone would have trouble, i think you should just stand up riding for like 5mins or more if u want and not think about shifting just consentrate on going fast and not hitting a tree
and i think it will come natural.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom