tphss

Apr 6, 2004
Hi,

Soon i'm buying a new bike (probably a 250F motocross maybe a 125..).
What do you think are the first and most important mods to do (besides an aftermarket exhaust system)?

I mean, on a stock bike, if you had 500 dollars for mods (not exhaust system, that i'm going to get anyway) what would you spend it on?

Thanks alot!

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
#1 - Aftermarket bars

# 2 - Suspension

# 3 - Tires

That should just about remove that $500 from your pocket, but will be worth every penny.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
va_yzrider said it all. BTW, I'd forget the exhaust and go straight to yzriders list.

SULLY

Apr 17, 2002
Assuming you can get the bike jetted right (I would not consider this a modification) then ...
1. Suspension
2. Suspension
3. Suspension

Not that I even know these bikes, but for any given rider he/she will be able to outride a similar skilled rider on a quicker bike if the suspension is better.
Poor suspension = slower speed, no exceptions

tphss

Apr 6, 2004
Ok,

Suspension it is. But what to do with the suspension? to buy anything? Race tech springs or something? or just make sure I set the suspension right?

Thanks.

SULLY

Apr 17, 2002
Firstly, I have to say I am no suspension expert. Alot of people I meet around the scene claim to be , but often when they say what they have had done to their bikes all I hear is the sound of money being parted with!

Get yourself a workshop manual, understand what all the various 'clickers' (the adjustment screws etc ) on your bike are called, and what their function is ...IE rebound, compression etc...notice I don't say what they 'do', this will take time to understand, try not to listen to others too much, instead learn yourself.

In the manual should be a basic table of what to adjust to compensate for an unwanted behaviour from the suspension. Take a photocopy of this page and take it with you to the track (saves the main book getting stinky)
Start with all the clickers in the middle. Then set your race sag (search this forum, there are loads of threads) Then assuming you are not v light , or v heavy you should be able to experiment with changing the various adjustements, in conjunction with the manusl and record the effect.(if you are way heavy or way light you may have to change the springs front and back to bring you within the range that the adjusters on the suspension can cope with) ALWAYS write down what you do and what the effect is, I cannot emphasise this point enough, it is always too easy to fiddle with a screwdriver at the circuit, and lose track of which way you went with which adjuster....
Many people say only move the clickers in small incriments, whilst I agree with this, you may need to move them more coarsly to get you in the 'region' then finely as you near perfection!
I have never has suspension revalved..so before you ask I can't comment on this, I'm sure it improves things, but at the mo' I can't afford it so have to work with what I have. (My son has just gone to 125's, he is v light so I have had to replace springs etc...and we just got the suspension close over the weekend...although It was very wet, so the conditions plus the weight of mud on the bike made final tuning impossible, we'll get there soon though!)

Good luck...Sully

WWR

Sponsoring Member
Jul 15, 2000
1)tools
2)tires
3)consumable items (plugs, grips, oils, etc)
4)service manual/service-maintenance knowledge

These are the basics you will need. Period. The reason they are so important is this: the number 1 thing that will make you faster is more seat/tracktime. The list above is the necessities needed to achieve this. You can't say that a pipe will help, heck, most pipes do nothing for the tracktimes of an average rider. Suspension mods won't help, if you dont know how to service and adjust the (already good) suspension that your bike comes with. Until you find the limits of something on the bike, it doesnt need to be improved. Keep your bike in excellent working (stock) condition, and just ride it a whole lot.

If anything, upgrade only the bars and chain/sprockets for purely durability reasons. You can also add protective items like skidplates, radiator, and handguards. These are good upgrades that will protect your fragile investment from your accident. Trust me, you will go down, you might as well be prepared.

Besides, it's more fun to beat that "bling, bling" rider down at the other end of the pits because of your superior skill on a bone stock bike.

Top Bottom