Most power robbing part?

KAWA200'sRule

Mar 15, 2004
I asked about doing the airbox mod and it didnt sound very convincing to do it. So my question is what can I do to the silencer? Is there a good aftermarket one for it (i doubt it) or can I cut out the baffles and whatnot? Are there anyother mods that would be helpful i was considering boyesen pro series reeds how much will that help?

Matt.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The most power robbing part of most bikes is poor jetting.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
And....kinked up, rusted out, o-ring chains that have never seen more lube than the spooge coming out of the pipe.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
never seen more lube than the spooge coming out of the pipe.

You mean that's not the reason why all of that oil comes out of the silencer!!?? So all of that "self-lubricating" mumbojumbo was BS? Guess you learn something new everyday! :thumb:

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
I have a tube attached to the bottom of my airbox to redirect the excess filter oil to my chain aswell. :)

levert

Jan 29, 2002
Wow , everyone missed it.
Your gut, yes the extra luggage around your midrift.
Amazing what people do to lighten their bike by 3 lbs but will sit there and ram 8 tacos down the old hatch.This is free ,free,free performance upgrade, no cost, yes jetting is probably the real answer but improving the power/weight ratio is real.
Off to the gym for some treadmill work!!!!!

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
The biggest improvement on my bike's performance was to upgrade and jet the carb correctly. Thanks to Rich and others here, with their patience, even I was able to get this done. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy spending money like a drunken sailor on the latest "smoke-n-mirror" upgrade. It's just that the most felt improvement was the carb.

Last edited:

KAWA200'sRule

Mar 15, 2004
Ok, i work out alot like running,sit ups,push ups,chest presses,and all that fun stuff and I wiegh only 140 pounds. So I dont think I'm weighing the bike down. My bike is also jetted very good. It starts right up, idles,no bogging,no sputering and revs out good. My buddy is great with bikes and helps me out alot. I dont know whats up. I guess zI am going to go for a new silencer. These stock ones are very restrictive right. Does answer still make silencers for my bike? I want the least resrictive silencer I can get but it seems like they are the only ones to choose from.

KAWA200'sRule

Mar 15, 2004
It says for all years and all but in '86 the sub frame changed so usually if they do make silencers for older kdx's they dont make 'em for the '84 and '85. Thanks anyway. I think its fine the way it is now that I think about it. Its runing perfectly so I dont want to risk it for 1 or 2 ponies you know what I mean.I think if I do anything I am gonna do something to those forks! When I do a wheelie and land it the front just about bottoms out and sometimes it does! Are the newer like '86 - 90 stiffer and will they bolt up?

KAWA200'sRule

Mar 15, 2004
I was just thinking about this today... All of these people who are questioning the quality etc of KDX's and compare them to other bikes and all. Well if the quality of kdx's were bad would all of us own them? Would they have there own forum and website? The bikes that they are comparing to do they have there own website and forum?I'm not putting down other bikes or anything but does this make sense to anybody else?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…