Motocross is not Nascar

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
The November issue of Dirt Rider Magazine has a Column with that title, so I thought I would invoke a riot here. Sure we would like the coverage that driving around in a circle has, but as B.J. Smith stated it will never happen. His reasoning was due to the fact that there are only a few riders that dominate the classes and in Nascar anyone could win. I would like to see the world grand prix rounds, which were clearly dominated by Everts this year, the next week like our current AMA series and could if I were a richer man. He also put into words what I have not been able to do for years about those arm chair athletes, whether it be Nascar, football, basketball, baseball, etc…… that “Following a sport that I couldn’t readily participate never made any sense to me”. :whoa:

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Motocross will never receive the coverage that NASCAR does because the bikes/riders move too fast and they don’t have enough area for displaying large corporate logos. IMO, that is why NASCAR speeds are restricted and why they are usually confined to circle tracks. I have sad it before and I’ll say it again…………I can’t get excited about a motor sport where the cars were faster 35 years ago.

As an example, Indy car (road courses), F1, and World Rally are all far more exciting to watch and the drivers are far more talented but the coverage is virtually nonexistent. It’s all about advertising and visibility for sponsors.

trakkerman

Nov 12, 2001
Another thing...Kinda off topic...

Just about every other form of motor-racing continues in the rain. Why can't NASCRAP?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Also in that article, RC himself commented on the fact that he's not necessarily good for the sport, used a football reference ( paraphrase) "if you always know who will win, you won't bother watching" was RC's comment. That's been my point about not digging the fact that he wins all the time. Some like to say I don't like RC and that's just not the case. I dislike the dominance, which leads me to pull for JS like I do, he's the only one that's come close.

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
Stewart will be way out front next year if Carmichael doesn't run the full season, so another domination begins. I hope some of the newby's step up an run the pace but I'm not expecting it.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Okiewan said:
"if you always know who will win, you won't bother watching" was RC's comment. That's been my point about not digging the fact that he wins all the time.

Interesting point. Kinda like the McGrath era too? :nod:

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I thought that was a good article. I think the dominance thing will always be a part of SX/MX. The rider plays such a huge part in the equation. I guess they could start adding weight and reducing displacement on the bikes that win. Restrictor plates for RC and JS!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
To an extent, I'd agree, but when was the last time someone when undefeated so long, or lapped the entire field?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
RM_guy said:
Whats NASCAR? :laugh:

It's this thing where a bunch of rednecks get together on Sundays and ride around in circles in taxicabs all day.. Sometimes they run into one another.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Okiewan said:
To an extent, I'd agree, but when was the last time someone when undefeated so long, or lapped the entire field?

No doubt Carmichael is a super freak. It seems like its usually crashes/injuries or rider burn out keep streaks like Ricky's from happening.

In the 13 or so years I have been keeping up with MX/SX I can only think of a couple years where I didn't feel like I already knew who was going to win the title before the season started. Still I find myself on the edge of my seat every race knowing one small mistake or mechanical can change everything.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
NASCAR, unlike ANY other major motorsport, dinks with the rules whenever it feels like it in order to improve "the show." They are just short of the WWE on fixing the outcome of "races" by their asinine rules. The only thing NASCAR has in common with actual motorsports is that both use engines and round, black tires.

As for MX/SX ever succeeding like NASCAR in the marketplace, it will never happen. Those big hoods on stock cars are ALL plastered with corporate logos; logos that show up quite well on TV coverage. Compare that to the Makita logo on RC's RMZ, which isn't visible at all when the bike is moving. Corporate sponsors in NASCAR get lots of TV coverage in any given race and that exposure is worth the millions of dollars they pay for it. Dirt bikes, in comparison, have virually no useful marketing space on them and the little that they do have is frequently covered by dirt during the event.

Not to mention that most folks cannot relate to motorcycle riding, yet every idiot has a car and can relate to the "go fast, turn left" BS NASCAR puts on every weekend.

Most importantly, MX/SX never gives the fans the opportunity to drink copious amounts of Budweiser in a stadium while waiting for the next ten-car pile-up.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Looking forward to when MX/SX reaches the same intense level as Olympic Curling.........that's what I'm talkin' about. :think:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…