Zsolt67

Jun 10, 2002
What I think is incredible, is I watched Doug Henry ride on Wednesday near my house on a seriously rough sandtrack, bust out at least 2 straight 1/2 hr motos and tell us he hasnt even ridden much. Must be in the years of training.

Superchief

Feb 11, 2003
Originally posted by Okiewan
Mine is similar, but I don't get the holeshot and after the second lap I just fall over and go for any sympathy I can get. An oxygen mask also comes in quite handy.
does it work, maybe i can try that theory too?

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Originally posted by nikki
Anyone have a site where it says motocross is the second most physically demanding sport?
Nikki, I remember reading about this in one the MX magazines a couple of years ago. Can't remember which one. It told of a study in Switzerland? I think that was testing people for balance, coordination, physical fitness, etc. and they supposedly put a local who raced motocross through the test and he tested extremely high. They figured that it was a fluke so they tested another rider and his results were similar. Using this info they decided to start having their downhill skiers start racing MX in the off season to see what it did for their results. The article claimed that they went from being ranked out of the top 20 to being ranked 1 and 2 in the world or country or something to that effect. I don't know who they are or if the article has any truth but it sounds good to me.

Birken Vogt

Apr 5, 2002
How come nobody has come in here defending NASCAR? Now it isn't my favorite sport to be sure. But I wish I could remember the quote, they did a study of some race car drivers and found it to be just as demanding as any professional sport. Fighting the G forces is what takes the strength there. You aren't likely to pull a muscle or anything like that but it takes it out of you just the same. And of course the amount of mental concentration always has something to do with it.

Birken

Kxrider03

May 8, 2003
I am racing june 8th at a track in Canaan, NH its small but I guess its really fun, but like you all said, ITS EXHAUSTING. But hopefully my practice in soft sand in pits with get me ahead of the game, then again maybe not... LOL

Cristi28

Apr 24, 2003
Oh man come on, it's got to be the gayest sport in the world..Ah well but yeah motocross is definetly exhausting, specially out in Cali...It's mega hot..So like after half an hour of riding your like dead.

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
Motocross seems a bit different than other sports to me. I played 3 years of college basketball so I got a lil exp with other sports. For me, motocross takes so much mental concentration that you are not focused on how you are doing physically until all of a sudden you realize you can't stand up for the 50 ft tabletop you are approaching in 4th gear. I usually have no idea that I'm getting tired. I just crap out suddenly because my mind is constantly scanning everything thats up ahead. This may be do to my lack of exp. but this one aspect has not improved even though my riding has improved.

In basketball there are always breaks, timeouts, fouls, whatever to get your breath back. I don't think it required nearly as much concentration because its just you and the other guys. Motocross is you , the bike, the track and the other guys i no particular order cause anyone of them will take you out.

I'm not saying that this makes motocross more difficult just more unique.

Top Bottom