jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
This past Sunday I was at a place called Hillsville (certainly worthy of the name) here in PA. They have a few sand tracks there with some nice sized whoops and turns but no real jumps. I completely loved it, but I can honestly say that there were times when I just had to pull off because I was physically exhausted. I've played football for 8 years and lift weights 3-5 times a week and consider myself in good physical condition, but on a real track I doubt I could last two laps.

Today I was watching SX and I completely admire and am astonished at how they can do 20 laps, at that pace, on these demanding tracks. Motocross is just as physically demanding (probably more so) than football, and maybe even basketball too. The pace never slows down and it requires so much energy. So many people like to say motorsports are for people without athletic talent. YEAH RIGHT. Now I still don't believe NASCAR requires that level of conditioning, but any type of motorcycle racing certainly can compare with any conventional sports, and often times would require more stamina.

Anyway for those of you that do race, I give you all the credit in the world because it sure ain't as easy as guys make it look. But even on a little track like that without competition, it's still one of the funnest things on earth. The rush from that is amazing and I guess I just wanted to share my story LOL.

chowder6

Dec 16, 2002
It's known fact that moto-x/super-x is the second most physically demanding sport...u won't believe what is first...............................Soccer!??? I'm not a doctor, but i beg to differ w/ these ratings.

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
I really was thinking that same thing. Now I am not a big fan of soccer but I must say it's very demanding, just from playing in gymclass. Now I would have said that swimming would have been very high though because it requires the use of the entire body's muscles, against the resistance of the water. But anyway that's an interesting fact. Might have to tell my coach that next time he says "riding those dirtbikes doesn't take anything"...

calamari racer

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2001
The next time your coach makes a statement like that, invite him out to ride your bike to prove his point. And don't just putt around. Ride it like it is supposed to be ridden. Maybe even make a bet with him. :p

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by jaypro55
on a real track I doubt I could last two laps.

i can only last about two laps too. my strategy is to get the holeshot, get the biggest lead that i can, then start blocking. it often works. ;)

i'm also a youth soccer coach so i know for a fact that it is very demanding. the oft quoted study naming motocross the second most physically demanding sport, is probably the one mentioned in "on any sunday" which is over 30 years old. i'd like to see a current study done. anyone know of one?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
i can only last about two laps too. my strategy is to get the holeshot, get the biggest lead that i can, then start blocking. it often works.
Mine is similar, but I don't get the holeshot and after the second lap I just fall over and go for any sympathy I can get. An oxygen mask also comes in quite handy.

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
Yeah I drank over a gallon of Gatorade after Sunday. You can't beat the powdered mix. I'll have my kids drinking that instead of Kool-Aid when I have them lol. But I can't wait to practice on a real track this year to see what it's like...

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
mx547,
i saw somewhere that the average midfielder will run 4 to 6 miles in a game. if you watch world class soccer, they aint jogging. i would also think that hockey is a high effort sport. most lines can only go 45-60 seconds on the ice before coming off for a breather. to me the thing that seperates the stick and ball from motorsports is the level of concentration required while doing a physically strenous activity. imagine how many decisions are required on an outdoors national track in one 30+2 moto or GNCC race at national level speed.

kx_guy86

Feb 6, 2003
yes, motocross is tiring/hard/demanding. But neither it nor soccer can come close to the demands that rowing makes of your body. Anyone here row?? (2000 meter pieces on the rowing machine, much pain) My point is, don't just say that any one sport is the hardest. And no i don't think rowing is the hardest sport but i would guess its close. :) peace

MX145

Dec 29, 2001
Thanks for setting me straight guys.... all this time I thought the most physically demanding sport was putting my bike back up on the stand after the moto !!

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
kx guy86 yes rowing uses all of your body but how much concentration is required. to be honest i think free climbing is the "hardest". better be in good shape physically and mentally ready to perform under stress conditions. there is no where to pull over when climbing with no lines. you only get one mistake.

i guess the original question is which sport is the most demanding. soccer is a sport of endurance and speed. the speed part over 90 min is what makes it hard. im sure there is a fitness clinic somewhere that has published results. i wonder how cross country ski and long distance skaters rank. seems they would burn lots of calories in a race and would require high areobic capacity too. then there is the boxers who go toe to toe for 12 rounds. usually one will have it harder physically than the other. finally, we have rodeo in which the cowboy gets physically punished 95% of the time. kinda like a car crash everytime he gets on that mad cow.

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
Motorcross is very tiring. I rode 2.5 hours on Saturday and didn't want to get out of bed Sunday, let alone ride, but I did.

I played rugby all through college and that was tough, but I get tired alot quicker on my bike, but that might have something to do with my age and fitness level. I was in good shape then. We would run 3 miles before practice, then practice, then after practice we would lift weights. I couldn't do that now.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Loading your bike (no helpers, don't cheat!) into a tall truck after 5 20 minute motos in 100 degree heat.. Now that's the toughest sport! :confused:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Anyone have a site where it says motocross is the second most physically demanding sport? I know I've seen/heard this before... but would like to print it out and show my physical therapist. We were talking about my shoulder injury and returning to riding and she was like "well all you have to do is sit and twist the throttle" and I had to set the record straight on how every muscle in your body aches after a 25 minute moto if you still have the endurance and breath to ride that long in the first place.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
Nikki

Throw that physical therapist on your bike for one lap and ask them how many muscles are hurting. Sit and twist,  tell them you got something they can sit and twist on, your foot.

I suppose they wonder how you got such an injury doing something so simple.

kx_guy86

Feb 6, 2003
tx246, believe it or not, rowing does take an enormous amount of concentration (I have found) to go fast, especially on the rowing machine where there is no fun (rowing) just the pain. When you have over half a workout left and the lacitc acid is burning your legs and you feel like your about to pass out, the mind really plays a huge role in deciding if you are going to die or if your going to force yourself to finish. Yes, I'm advertising rowing, I think everyone should do it, I'm adicted! :)

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Originally posted by Camstyn
Loading your bike (no helpers, don't cheat!) into a tall truck after 5 20 minute motos in 100 degree heat.. Now that's the toughest sport! :confused:
No, throwing your KTM620 in the back of your F250 (without a ramp) after 5 hours of an enduro in sand-whoop hell!  (But none of us would be that dumb)

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
I think there are no easy sports. If any of them were truly easy for the majority of people to excel in then everybody would do it. Where would the fun be without the challenge? Take football.. lots of running, constantly knocking the crap out of the guy next to you, moves very fast, high level of concentration. Everybody seems to rule football out very quickly as a difficult sport, but it is actually a lot harder than people would think. NASCAR, Tennis, Hockey, Dirtbike racing, Lacrosse, Swimming, you name it it will be physically demanding. This discussion is actually quite pointless to a certian extent. However the part that really bugs me is when people, like Nik's doc, make the wrist twisting motion and say "How hard could it be? This is all you have to do." YEA RIGHT!

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Originally posted by nikki
Anyone have a site where it says motocross is the second most physically demanding sport? I know I've seen/heard this before... 

Nikki - I think everyone is quoting the line from 'On Any Sunday'. The movie didn't offer a source where that came from, though.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by yzguy15
I think there are no easy sports. If any of them were truly easy for the majority of people to excel in then everybody would do it.

Yikes! I'm exhausted just from reading this thread. :scream:

yzguy is right. If it was easy, everyone would do it and they would call it golf or sumthin like that. :confused: :laugh: (jk golfers) :laugh:

Top Bottom