motor cuts out under long WOT

sean

Apr 26, 2000
Hello All,

I have a 97 KDX 200. FMF pipe and everything else is stock.
When I am running 6th gear wide open the motor cuts out completely once the revs start to reach their maximum. Soon as I let off it runs like normal.

Motor runs perfect in all other conditions. My orginal thought was jetting but it runs really good 99% of time... its just the ocassional wide open runs.

Thanks
Sean

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
Make sure that there isn't any water or dirt that might have gotten into the float bowl.

Last edited:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I agree - sounds like fuel flow.

If you are running a fuel filter, remove it and do a test run. Those filters will flow less as they get old, so if you feel the need to run a filter, replace it with a new one.

There is a screen in the tube that feeds the petcock - disasemble and clean.

Also, make sure the vent in your gas cap is not obstructed and that the breather line is not kinked.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
dirt bike dave said:
I agree - sounds like fuel flow.

If you are running a fuel filter, remove it and do a test run. Those filters will flow less as they get old, so if you feel the need to run a filter, replace it with a new one.

There is a screen in the tube that feeds the petcock - disasemble and clean.

Also, make sure the vent in your gas cap is not obstructed and that the breather line is not kinked.

and too the carb vent tubes (down by the swing arm) are most likely dirty and pluguged.......cut a V shaped notch at the ends off them to help keep them from plugging with dirt/ mud

I had same problem as you but worse ( bike cut out completely) and found the vent hoses from the carb where plugged up..check them :cool:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom