Moving to Meridian, MS

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Well, being transferred to Meridian, MS in two weeks. I ran a search and found that there's a riding area in Meridian. Can anyone give me directions and details? A guy at the local track here mentioned that there was a MX track near Meridian too-- nothing popped up in the search though. Ideas?

B

biglou

You poor soul! :p I spent a little over four years in Meridian working on the TA-4J's before they decommissioned them. Still know a few folks in the maint. dept there. Also, met one of my best friends there when he was in training. Flies Prowlers out of Whidbey now. He saw all the MTB stickers on my truck in the parking lot one day and left me a note saying that he was new and looking for trails. Got me into racing MTB while I was down there. Sorry I can't help with the moto stuff. Just felt like sharing! :)

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Yep, TA4's are gone, but the T-2's are still there. That'll be my new ride at least for the next 6-12 months. Then the sweet little T-45! Good mountain biking though? I like to do that too! Found a place 5 min. from Lake Okatibbee (sp?).

B

biglou

Yikes! Yer scarin' up names I haven't heard in a while! :scream: I tried to block most of that from memory! OK, let's see (reaching way back into the brain cell folder here...) The hiway that runs up to the base is Hwy 39 North (regardless of the direction you're traveling-It's a Mississippi thing). If you go about 1/4-1/2 mile south of I-20 on 39N, there is a park there called Bonita Lakes. That used to be the hot spot for MTB. Just as I was leaving there, they were gutting some of the woods around there to build a mall. Can't have too many empty stalls and shoe stores, yanno... The place to race is the summer series at Forrest Hill Park in Jackson. About 90 miles west on 20. Pretty flat, beginner friendly. They used to run a four race series. Also, they used to hold the "Mississippi State Games" MTB race at Bonita Lake. Not sure about either of these anymore though. (been gone a while) A really cool place we rode once was in Alabama, and I will have to spell out the name of the park phoenetically here, "Chick-uh-suh-bogue" state park. Really cool place to ride. My SP (at the time) friend and I stopped off to ride there once on the way to the Naval Aviation Museum in P-cola.

An interesting fact about that town-The population of that town never fluctuates by more than 1k or so for the last half century. Keeping that in mind, there is generally only so much business it can support. So, if a new shop (of any kind) opens up, it will either fold, or another one will go under. It's really quite the interesting study.

There was only one bicycle shop in town, and I really had my fill of them after a while. The owner was an unappreciative prick. Just generally an angry little man lacking in inter-personal skills. I can go into more detail if you want, but I would recommend mail order if you can do your own wrenching. As for moto, this was pre-moto days so I don't know what's up in that scene down that way.

One of the better apt complexes in town is called "The Mark", right across the street from Foodmax, 3315 North Hills St. (it runs east-west. Again, more confusing Mississippi stuff...). A one bedroom was $450 in 96. Fireplace, deck, laundry hookup. If you can, I'd go for base housing, although I'm not sure if SP's can get in there or if that's just for the IP's.

The closest relief will be 3 hrs to New Orleans or Biloxi/Gulfport, although coming from pcola, that may be a bit underrated.

One last useless bit of tid: At the museum in pcola, there is a Harrier hanging there. S/N 158945. I worked on that jet in the Corps. They were calling it an "AV-8A" Harrier, when in fact it is an "AV-8C", which were modified A's, but the B was already on the board at the time, so that letter was taken. I put in a suggestion slip that they relable it-could you check that out for me before you split?! :)

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Sounds great! I appreciate the tidbits. I checked into base housing -- pretty nice and plenty of empty units, but I've got two cats and a dog and dig my "space" if ya know what I mean. I found a place in BFE on 3 acres with 2000sqft for a hundred bucks less than the housing allowance. I've got a wife so I don't figure I'll be drifting far for the night life, unless it includes roost, doubles, and premix.
Yeah, I guess the "Bonita Lakes Mall" is the local attraction, seems like every realtor we met with referenced their rentals in relation to the base or the mall.

I love the museum. They've got a lot of great stuff to look at. I've been here for a year and have probably been there 50 times. I've been meaning to go back, so I'll definitely make a trip this week and check out that Harrier for you. I know which one you're talking about (well, it is the only one there) so I'll make a note and take a look. I've been meaning to do the flightline tour but keep missing the bus.
Anyway, thanks for the "lowdown" on the MTB riding!

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
BigLou, I went by the museum this morning. The Harrier they have in there now is tail #158975. It's listed as an "A" model as well.

B

biglou

I was close! on that S/N! Yeah, it's a "C". The "A" has the photographic glass on the side of the nose cone for a camera. There are other differences, but that one there is a "C". I can understand them wanting to keep it simple, seeing as how it is an older molder compared to the "B" that McD's built.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Well, I'm finally settled in Meridian and still looking for some riding! I've been to the bike shop and he said there was supposed to be a riding area just south of town, but had never been there and couldn't offer any directions. Anyone been to the track in Pearl (just outside of Jackson)? Looks to only be an hour drive or so, just wondering if it would be worth it! Still open for any other tracks anyone can recommend within a couple hours!

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
There's a very good riding area just east of town.  I don't have the directions but you can contact Randy Parke (rparke51@aol.com) who is the SERA and Ridge Runners Enduro Club president.  He can give you information on joining the Meridian riding area and SERA if you race Harescrambles and/or enduros. 

A few of us may be riding at Millcreek (www.millcreekmotocross.com) on Saturday.  It will take you about 2.5 to 3 hours to get there but it's a good track. 

Monstermountain is also not that far from you and is likely to be one of the new stops on the National tour (www.monstermountain.com).   Bubba was there riding last weekend (no not your everyday Alabama bubba, the real Bubba :yeehaw:  )

LaRider20

Dec 27, 2000
I have your track! It is in Kentwood Louisiana and called Wildwood MX. The owner is named Lynn and his phone number is 225-776-2305. I don't know how far it is from Meridan, but I can tell you this; it is a fantastic national sized MX track. Kevin Windom rides there frequently, and he turns consistant 1:42 lap times. It has ski jumps, step-ups, doubles and table tops. It runs through the woods, pastures and creek beds. It also has a bike wash. You would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't check it out. I travel there frequently from Houma La. which is a 2:10 minute drive.

Troy

WBBLUE272

Nov 1, 2002
There is a really good riding area in Meridian. Take Hwy 19 South/East after crossing Hwy 45 turn right on Sandflat Loop Road, take another right on Sandflat Road, take another right on Golf Club/Country Club road. Riding area will be about 1/2 a mile on left. Park and ride on both sides of the road. Best contact is Randy Parke that was mentioned in the previous reply.

A groud of us from N. Florida are making a weekend trip and will be there on 7/19 and 7/20.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Thanks for the posts gents! I'll definitely give Mr. Parke a call! Unfortunately I've got to work Friday night/Saturday morning so won't be able to ride, but keep me posted and I may hook up with you in the future! Mill Creek looks like a great track and mapquest only shows it to be 3 hours away. Monster Mountain looks fantastic too, but possibly 4 hours --- maybe on an extended weekend I could force it! Blue, have you got something worked out with him this weekend? I could possibly meet up with you and your group on Sunday morning.

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
You can make it to Monster in less than 4 hours if you take 80.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
there's a state park up at pontotoc that's open for riding for $5/day & there are public riding areas on usfs land not far from you.

you've also got lots of good hs races & enduros all around you, if those interest you.

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
FYI, the Pearl MX track closed about two years ago. It was a lot of fun while it lasted. Kevin Windham has a track and trail complex about two hours south, southwest of Jackson, MS where I live.

I'd like to come ride in Meridian sometime and check it out. If you're looking for someone to ride with, e-mail me at jwoods100@jam.rr.com. We're trying to put together a group to make a few 2-4 hr trips to good riding spots.

Thanks
John

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…