MP Music File Editing Before CD Burning

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
I have downloaded some live music from a smartFTP site and converted it to a mp file using mkw audio compression tool. This music has been recorded direct from the mixing board during the live performances with the artists permission since his groups music is no longer available commercially. Hey, had to throw that disclaimer in there! Anyway, I have burned a few CD's with no problems but would like to be able to edit the mp files before burning to eliminate the talking between songs. Example: The total track is 5:23 with the actual music running about 4:12. Is this possible? I use Windows media player to burn my CD's. Is there other software on the net I can download to accomplish this?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Sawblade

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
We have an older version of SoundEdit Pro (see Eddie's first link) that we used on many occasions-- it's pretty easy to use, but still has lots of features/flexibility.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Eddie/Lori,
Thanks for the information. I have downloaded Audiocity, Soundedit Pro and MP3direct cut. I have been messing around with all three for the last few nights and can not figure any of them out. All I want to do is fade out at the end of the song and delete/cut out the garbage after that to reduce the time of the track. Either I'm a idiot or these three programs are not user friendly. Either way, I'm open for suggestions once again.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Sawblade, Audacity is actually pretty easy. Open the file you want, select the parts you want to work with using your mouse and delete, apply an effect such as fade in, fade out etc. You can open up 3 or 4 Audacity windows, copy parts from one song to another, split the song into left and right channels, add delay, reverb etc. Check out three samples I did this morning. The first is the original sample, the second one just has a fade out effect and the third on fades out, then fades into another song.

Right CLICK & Save As

Right CLICK & Save As

Right CLICK & Save As

To export as an MP3 you'll need the encoder dll (lame_enc.dll) from
HERE

Download that, unzip it somewhere and when you go to export as an MP3 the first time (from Audacity) it will ask you where that file is. You'll only have to do this once.

If you'd rather not mess with all this, e-mail me the file and explain what you want and I'll do it for you.

FYI - If you've ever wanted to listen to an MP3 backwards Audacity is the schiznit :)

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom