Help! Compilation Music CD using Roxio?

B

biglou

I tried a couple times, unsuccessfully, to make a compilation CD for a friend using Roxio. Not mp3 format, but regular CD music file types. I had roughly 17 songs from 10 different CD's. I put each CD in, click and drag the tracks, then when I click "Record", it prompts me for each CD, one at a time. Problem is, after about the 8th CD, the program just stopped responding. :bang: I tried the "Create CD from a CD Image" option, which pulls the songs off each CD and saves them in one giant file on the hard drive, then burns it to disc. This is supposed to eliminate "buffer overrun". The process is the same, insert each CD, click and drag, then when you click "Record" to extract the files to the hard drive, the program prompts you for each CD one at a time. Same thing happened-around CD #8, the program just stopped responding. :pissed:

Memory or hard drive space is not the issue. I remember my previous computer ("El Diablo", as I fondly referred to it...), I had the other big disc copying program (I cannot remember the name of it for my life). And if I tried inserting the individual CD's when prompted, it would also stop responding. I discovered that I could right click the tracks and I had an option to "Extract To File", and it would save to hard drive. I would then compile all the songs in one folder, and click drag from there and successfully create a compilation CD. I don't seem to have the "extract to" option on the new(er) PC. And when I go to the drive directly in Windows Explorer, the only file types I see are 1kb shortcuts to the individual songs.

I have no problems creating Data/mp3 CD compilations. These files are click-dragged from my hard drive, though.

So, question is, how to extract native music CD file types to hard drive to gather up for compilation CD? Running XP Home, Roxio Easy CD Creator. I've got Windows Media Player, of course, and also Music Match Jukebox, which I never use. Do either of these have a way to create a compilation CD?

motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
What I would do is use windows media player and rip the cd's onto your computer and then just make the cd using the songs on your hard drive. The other burning software that you couldn't remember is probably Nero.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I watched most of that info go over my head, but I've used windows media player to make a compilation CD. It's waaaay easy.

I now have that Nero setup at home, because momma wants to make DVD's out of old videos, but I somehow have to convert them thru this Dazzle digital video creator.

someday I'll figger this stuff out.

B

biglou

Yeah, Roxio works great for recording stuff off the HD. I'll use WMP to rip them to the HD. Thanks! It wasn't Nero... I think I killed that brain cell. I also think they and Roxio merged a couple years ago?

buck_y_lee

Sep 22, 2004
Lou,
Is it possible that once it gets to the eighth CD or so that you have already filled up the disk?

If you need to rip to disc first, use WAV format. It takes up a lot of room but you will not lose quality like an mp3.

B

biglou

Nope, disc isn't full. It shows me across the bottom how much room is left. I tried ripping them as .wav files to my hard drive, that went fine. Burning them to disc went fine also, but the home player didn't recognize the file type. I believe ".cda" is the file type I need. Looks like WMP can do that for me. Thanks for all the help! :cool:

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
Lou,
I use musicmatch 8.1, and velcro just pulls the songs off the CD's, and it caches them, and then just compiles them to a new disc. we can chage format too. I hear the kids down my street use MMM with no problems too. roxio is ok for general copying I never had any luck beyond that. hope this helps.

Top Bottom