MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
Yesterday afternoon I was looking over the GG and noticed that my neighbor had his 00 Husky TE610 loaded in the back of his truck. I went over and asked if he was going riding. He informed me that he was going out to the local short track for some TT racing in the knobby tire class. So, with that I decided to join him:scream: I loaded the might GG EC200 up and headed for the Lodi Cycle Bowl. Once I arrived at the entrance, I was greeted by an older gentleman and I told him that I was going to be racing the knobby tire class tonight. He informed me that there was only 1 other rider in the class. No big deal, I signed up and I elected to ride in the VET C OPEN:eek: After tech inspection I managed to get in a few hot laps on the blue groove! Man; talk about a wicked ride! The course had several right and left hand turns, along with a nice little jump, a long front straight and a hairpin that exited out onto the long front straight! I had a brand new 752 on the rear and 755 up front for the night’s event! My first lap I took it easy wanted to get a fill for the track and to see just how far I could lay the bike over with the knobby tires. Once practice was over I pretty much knew that I could lay the bike over much more than I thought at first. I head back into the pits for some water and adjust the air in my tires.

I was in heat 18 for the night. So I had plenty of time to check out the entire trick TT bikes in the pits. There was plenty of CR and YZ 250’s that were set up for TT / Short track racing. In the 4stroke class, the C&J framed TT500, ATK 600’s ruled and there was plenty of YZF 400, 426 and 250’s out there! I was really amazed by just how fast the kids in the 80cc expert class were going!! I’ve never heard an 80cc motor being screamed like I did last night as they flew down that front section of the course.

After about 1:45 minutes of racing it was my turn to line up and head to the staging area. At the staging area the rest of the riders in my class were waiting to move to the staring line. There were 3 TT-500’s, 1 Super Motard XR400, 1 Husky TE 610, 1 Motard Yamaha WR 250 and my little GasGas EC200. I knew I had my work cut out for me if I was even going to attempt to ride with these guys. The Husky and me were the only 2 bikes on knobby tires; the rest were on Goodyear short track tires. Once we got the call to proceed to the starting area I was thinking about what gear to start in. 1st was to low, and so I decided to go with second and give it all she had to try and get the jump on those big thumpers. I staged in the lights and waited for the staging light to go “yellow. Once the yellow light was on, then green would follow, but in no set amount of time. As the motors screamed 2 of the TT 500’s jumped the light, to the back row they went. So now it was the mighty 610, 1 TT 500, XR400, WR250 and my 200 on the front row. I staged again, waiting for the yellow light. With my engine screaming, we had a steady yellow light, BAM!!! Green light, I slipped the clutch a bit not wanting to carry the front tire too much I managed to pull a second place off the line and into the first left hand turn. By the end of the 1st lap I was in last place, those thumpers all managed to get around me on the front straight, but I could close the gap somewhat in the tight turns. What an awesome feeling coming off a sweeper turn, feet up on the pegs, 6th gear WFO with the rear of the bike sideways:scream: As I approached a tight left hand turn, hard on the brakes, down shifting, the rear end sliding around, setting up for the turn I had a grin so big I could hardly concentrate on riding! As the end of my 4-lap heat race came to an end, I was pretty proud of myself for at least staying somewhat close to the big Husky. As I pulled off the track and headed back to the pits I yelling with happiness under my helmet. That was a kick in the a$% ride. I had about plenty of time to think about my heat race and what I could do to pick up my speed.

As the night wore on I was really stoked about main. The guy on the TE 610 packed up and headed for home, and WR 250 crashed out of the race. So we were down to 5 bikes in the main. I checked over my bike, dropped my tires down to 10 pounds to try and get more bite in those fast turns. The main was a 6-lap event and I was ready. I lined up on the second spot from the inside, which gave me a better line into the 1st turn. As I staged waiting for the yellow light to go green the XR400 jumped the light and was sent to the back row. As the light went from red to yellow, then quickly to green I managed to pull a RUDE hole shot on those thumpers. I held my line into the first turn, over the first jump, but then going into the first right hand turn a TT 500 pulled me out of the turn as my rear end of the bike broke loose. I stayed in second into the hair pin turn and then through the long left hand sweeper that lead down the front straight I was in 6th gear WFO going down the long front straight, that was were the rest of the field caught and passed me. I went from 2nd to 5th in a matter of a few seconds. I remained in 5th place until the checkered flag. I was very pleased with my results considering I was in a class where I was out cc’ed severely by all the bikes and I was racing on there turf with knobby tires. I really can’t explain the feeling of being WFO on a hard packed, blue groove track letting the rear of the bike sideways with the feet up on the pegs! I received several comments from other riders on my ability to go as fast as I was and still maintain control of my bike. Most thought I was crazy for even attempting to race. :cool:

I had not been on a short track or even a TT in 25 plus years. If you live near a short track or a TT track I challenge you to get off the couch and try! The feeling of being WFO in a smooth blue groove track is like on other. I truly love off road riding and racing, but I had a good time last night. Where else can you go and have a great time with your bike and not have to wash it after a race.

Thanks Terry, I had a great time...

For you Nor.Cal riders check out http://www.lodicyclebowl.com/

Rick

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Nice report -- sounds like a hoot. Sounds like a tad taller gearing and you could have staved off those dastardly four strokes in the straight.

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
LT,

If I had tires that were a little "sticker" then I would have been able to run WFO into the last turn before the long straight. I had to chop the throttle a few times to keep the rear end from sliding all the way out from under neath me. Once I reached the appex of the turn, then I was WFO. Not sure about taller gearing. The inside section of the course was kinda tight, and I had plenty of power, in some cases to much lowend comming off the turns because I would break the rear tire loose and start to spin! My feet would be up on the pegs, and the rear end would start to slip out....Talk about a kick in the rear!!

Rick

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
MR. WR. Awesome report. You are right, the feeling of a good, controlled, feet-up power slide on a blue groove track is like no other.;)
The bigger the track, the better the rush.

By the way, I got lost in Lodi once.:confused:

Ol'89r

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom