Mr8

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I have had trouble finding a VP supplier. I finally found a guy who is doing quad work in a shed close to me and he is getting VP.
He has offered me a deal on MR8 for $8.80 ($44 a can) in sealed 5 gal cans. He was charging $52.80, but if I buy three cans at a time he will deal. I think this is a good deal, but I'm not real familiar with MR8.
I fairly certain I will have to fatten things up a bit. Am I correct in this assumption, and am I getting a good deal?
Also, I am running a stock bore 125. Would I do better to go with C-12 ($33.75)and stay away from the oxygenated stuff?
I'm sick of Turbo Blue in a bulk underground tank and I'm gonna definately do something different.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
There is nothing wrong with oxy fuels for you application and MR8 is great fuel but it is serious overkill for a normal 125 MX bike. C12 would work great for the application plus it's really easy to tune.

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I kinda thought so too, Rich. The cat is getting C12 in 55 gal drums and I told him no go on the drum stuff...he said "hell, I've got a nice little pump" :)

I really don't want to use his bulk stuff. He did mention that if I really wanted he would ask his guy for it in cans. I feel that I will be happier not having to jet as much. We sure can have some fluxuations here in conditions and I'm thinking the C12 may jst be easier to deal with. Nicer for the ole pocketbook too.
OK, Im talked out of the oxy fuel. :)
Maybe next season when I get my Red thumper...Opppss, don't tell anyone I said that!

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
Maybe I'm losing it,...but what is MR8? We have been using MR2 for over a year now with incredible results. Am I outa the loop?

D

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Well...my guy screwed up on getting my C-12 in time, so he made me a good deal on 3 cans of MR-8 @ 7.80 a gal.
So, I guess I will be oxygenated for DW. I will switch to C-12 aftwards because of cost, but my bike will have a weird smell for awhile :)

VP MR-8

SG .7295 @ 60F.
Lead: 6.0 g/gal
107 Octane
RVP: 6.69
Oxygen: 2.4%

10% @144 F
50% @203.7 F
90% @218 F
EP: @237.3 F

SuzookKING

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2002
I have been trying out some B32 with 20% MTBE blended in for good measure :worship: + :flame: = :yeehaw:

Typical B32 specs before blending:
SG @ 60/60*F .724
RVP = 7
Inital = 99*
10% = 142*
30% = 176*
50% = 210*
70% = 222*
90% = 256*
End Point = 301*
AKI = 110
TL = 4.0mL/gal
not sure of specs after the blend ;) I am guessing on O2 around 2.8% to 3% but not sure :eek:
SIDE NOTE:
*not used in competition events as it doesn't meet fuel specifications/requirements

Last edited:

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999

Make sure you take extra brass :thumb:
You will prolly want to jet richer for that fuel Jay. Switching my bike from C-12 to MR2 I had to go 2 on the main 1 on the needle and 1 on the pilot. ;)

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Mark,
LOL....That is what I'm afraid of! :(

I have brass both ways. ;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
He is talking about jets, commonly referred to as brass.

luvtolean

Oct 3, 2002
The oxygenated fuels are not overkill for anything. They will make any motor make more power provided you get the mixture right. You can go too high on octane and actually cost yourself power however.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by luvtolean
The oxygenated fuels are not overkill for anything.

An oxygenated fuel like MR8 with a lead content of 6.0 g/gal is most certainly overkill for a generic MX application.

Originally posted by luvtolean
You can go too high on octane and actually cost yourself power however.

Octane level in and of itself has ZERO influence on power under normal combustion conditions. :silly:

Last edited:

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich

Octane level in and of itself has ZERO influence on power under normal combustion conditions. :silly:

Unless your tring to start a fire right Rich? Or are those just stories of last years DW not true? :) :)

I would have been dancing like :yeehaw: just cause of the purdy blue flames.

Phillip

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by IrishEKU
Unless your tring to start a fire right Rich? Or are those just stories of last years DW not true?

The stories are true but not because of octane :)

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Rich,

Is MR2 still a better oxy fuel for MX then? I can get that locally and since I'm still jetted for Cooperland vs. 4200 ft msl, I'm considering making the switch and dealing with the jetting changes.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by MX-727
Rich,

Is MR2 still a better oxy fuel for MX then?

IMO yes. It still has too much lead for my tastes but I think the overall spec of MR2 is more appropriate for MX use.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Is that because of the lower 10% and 50% evap.? Better throttle response?

What does the difference in reed vapor pressure really mean?

luvtolean

Oct 3, 2002
Rich, my octane comment referred to people who go buy 76 race fuel in the highest octane they can find thinking it will make more power. I have friends that do this all of the time. Octane itself by definition has no bearing on burn rate.(as you certainly know) But some high octane fuels suck and you'd do better on pump provided there's no predetonation.

I am curious what do you have against the high lead quantity in MR8. Also I'll do a search, but maybe you could answer a question I have; are the new MX bikes set-up for unleaded fuel from the factory like GP bike motors?

SuzookKING

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2002
I think the excess lead can cause lead deposits on the plugs. (unless you like throwing plugs at your bike)

The extra lead can make plug readings have that extra variable that can throw results amiss sometimes. :|

IMHO in most two-stroke motors the main thing to be affected from the lead in fuels would be the spark plug.

If you can get the same performance from your motor on unleaded fuels then why add the other variable into the tuning equation. :think:

I use both leaded and unleaded fuels....it's kinda like the almond joy / mounds delima.....sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't. :yeehaw:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…