JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
I’m looking for recommendations on mountain bikes.

Between my higher than normal blood pressure (147/101), smoking(pack a day) and weight(212) my Dr. wants me to start exercising. If I run or jog outside my knees end up hurting and the treadmill is just too boring. So I thought about taking up mountain biking. I’m not to far from the foothills so I think I might actually enjoy it.

I have tried doing some research on the internet but I haven’t come up with much. The only thing I know is that I want a hard tail and don’t really want to spend more than $700 unless its really worth it.

Anybody have any experience with mountain bikes? Any positive or negative comments are welcome

Thank you
Jeff

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Don't go with a Wal Mart special. A hundred dollar bike will spend most of it's time broken. :) I've got close to 500 miles on my hundred dollar beater but I spend lots of time wrenching on it. It's a bicycle for christ sake. LOL

There are TONS of entry level mtn bikes in the 3-500 dollar range. I would definately stick with a hardtail vs. full suspension. Mainly because of the extra weight of a full suspension bike + you lose some of your pedaling power when it's transfered through the rear suspension. Giant, Raleigh, Trek, Haro, are a few names that put out some decent entry level bikes. Your best bet is to go to your local bike shop and ask to sit on/ ride one of their demo bikes. Before you spend some money on a new bike, be sure it's comfortable and you'll enjoy riding it. Good Luck!

Quitting smoking will help your blood pressure too. ;)

jaction125

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2003
I have a Gary Fisher Marlin that I paid $400 otd for. No complaints, and I would call it a little better than entry level. But I don't really know a whole lot about mountain bikes.

AS250

Jun 30, 2005
specialized makes a pretty good entry bike its called a hard rock comp. it has front suspension and front and rear disc breaks for about 500 bucks

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I got a Giant Boulder (entry level) for 230 bucks. Couldn't be happier, so far.

funny thing is, I've ridden a bicycle more in the last two months than in the prior 22 years

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
The most important thing is to make sure that the bike fits you right. A bike that is too big or small can cause anything from sore knees and back to fatigued arms. You're good to go for a hardtail if for nothing else than the value, though the suspensions are catching up quickly in bang for the buck. If you look around for values you can usually find a bike well under its MSRP at a good bike shop. I got my kona caldera for 670 bucks in Moscow, ID; that's about 1/3 off, so there are some good deals out there

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
JWW said:
my Dr. wants me to start exercising.

Hey Jeff, I was wondering where you had been?

Why would you want to pedal ? I tried it and just kept trying to twist the grip. Come ride more, do some enduros, it'll get you in shape quick.

Other than that: My recommendation is to start playing poker. Shuffling and dealing have to burn some calories and raking in a pot of 11oz chips is sort of like wieght lifting.

Or you could always get a new Doctor? :clue:

You know me man, I'm alway here to help. Hope to see on a ride soon. :cool: :ride:

bike_rider250

May 6, 2005
get a norco sasquatch. I've got one and up here there around 1300 but in the states dont know if its around 700 but there great all around hardtail. I used mine for mt. biking doing anything from 5-13 foot drops and jumps with like 15-20 foot gaps. but if your going to be into mt. biking doing big drops and jumps upgrade the rims also get shin pads. but good luck

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Try several. Fit is VERY important. Many places in CA rent bikes. Rent a few over the course of a month and see what you like. Riding a MTB around the parking lot doesn't really tell you much. I saved quite a bit on my first MTB until I figured out that it really wasn't made for any kind of real off road riding. That ended up being a few hundred dollars I wish I could've invested on the second bike.

$700 is a pretty good price point these days. You should be able to get something nice that will last. I like Trek, Gary Fisher, Specialized and K2. I didn't really like my GT all that well, but that was the cheap bike that looked like a MTB and I thought was a MTB.

Find an honest bike store that has employees that will take the time to explain components and what a bike is REALLY going to be good for.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Thanks for the replies.

Scar- Its hard for me to get away. Im trying to spend alot time with my family on the weekends. I should be good to go soon. I can definetly make time for a Silverwood trip though. It just needs to be on a weekend when my son stays home. Let me know

Thanks again

Jeff

May 26, 2005
If your willing to spend $700.00 you can get into a nice Specialized Hard Tail. Trek makes really nice bikes as well K2. I have a really sweet full suspension full carbon fiber K2 thats dying of loneliness in the corner under a nice thinck layer of dust. Poor MTB :(

A Specialized Rockhopper Comp or a Hard Rock are both in your price range. I would lean more toward the Hard Rock myself as it makes a great all around MTB.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Any of the speciality brands (i.e. not stuff you would find at wall mart) make great bikes. In my experence Iron horse, Kona, Giant and Specialized tend to be the strongest players in terms of value (of course they also make some high end stuff too).

for the record I've got a
Kona Stab (8" travel dh bike) - great bike, super durable

Proflex/K2 Animal/K1000 free-ride/XC bike (decent, but rather finicky, frame flexes too much and breaks too easily). I would strongly recomend against K2 as they do not stand behind their products and do not honor their warrenties. My head tube seperated from the rest of my bike while riding, of course I crashed shortly there after. The seperation/break occured while riding in bumpy, but normal off road conditions. When I bought the bike it was advertised to have a life time warrenty on the frame. I sent it in to K2 through the local bike shop as per proper procedure. K2 responded that their experts determined that i drove into a parking garage with it on the roof of my car and that's how it broke, of course this was not the case, I don't even have a roof rack and it was obvious how it failed. After months of hounding them I still had no success getting it warrenteed and couldn't even get my broken frame back.

Cannondale R400 rode bike, great quality, ride is a bit stiff.

Ridgeback messenger bike (commuted to school while living in the UK on it) - great bike, components are a little disapointing compared to what you'd get in the US for the same price.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
What you ought to do is start making trips to the local bike shops and get an idea of what bikes are in your price range. Get brochures, take notes, ask the bike shop employee questions and just do your research. Then when you get it narrowed down to a couple of bike go to the shops that carry those brands and try a couple of different sizes of each to see what fits you best. As far as brand there aren't any real bad bikes in the $700 price range.

Steve

bike_rider250

May 6, 2005
marzocchi is a great shock company.put a big crack in my marzocchi dirt jumper 3's right in the stanion so i send them in for warrenty and got them back within a week. also i got black stanions in them instead on silver and now it looks ten times better

sparky970

Mar 2, 2005
I have a Trek mtn bike. I've put over 2000 miles on it, according to the little computer. The only thing I've had to do is adjust the derailers because of cable stretch, and change the tires.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Have fun, mtb's are a great way to have fun and stay in shape:)

BTW, if you are not familer with mtb components start reading up. Below is a basic list of shimano stuff from high end to low end. IMHO anything LX and above works really well and unless you are into competitive riding you will not notice a huge difference from LX to XTR but will notice a huge difference sub-LX to LX. There are many more variables for suspension components, do the research. Also, IMHO disc brakes are wonderfull and well worth the extra few $$. Hope is my favorite maker, but any discs you find on a real mtb tend to be pretty decent for most riding.

XTR - the really good stuff, shifts will be very crisp.

XT - Good, working man's stuff, fairly crisp shifts, but not quite like XTR.

LX - good quality, works well, shifts about the same as XT, a bit heavier than thoes above.

Deore LX - slightly lower grade LX stuff

Alevio - low end but functional, but not all that durable, shifts
are not very crisp, rather heavy.
Below that - don't waste your time.

I have XT on my cross country bike and XTR on the downhill bike (where super fast shifts can be criticle). Both work well. My previous cross country bike had LX and it also worked very well, shifts were just about like XT stuff, but it all weighed a bit more.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
At that price point they might mix componant levels as well. Like use LX shifters and XT derailluers or another brand of brakes. You still get a good bike just with some slight compromises so the manufacterer can sell you a better bike and still get the prices down.

Steve

Jul 20, 2005
I have a giant boulder se, spent about 350$ on it. It is the best bike i have ever had. Nothing breakes, and i ride it hard, in and around the olympic mountains. I love it. I have the mens bike, even thought i am a women, and it is comfy, and durable.

Wankel

Apr 22, 2005
K2

Sunny State KDX,
You still ride your K2? (Well ok, maybe not Lately due to the hurricanes :ohmy: ) . I was just curious. I have a '99 OZ (K2) and love it.

-Wankel

Sunny State KDX said:
If your willing to spend $700.00 you can get into a nice Specialized Hard Tail. Trek makes really nice bikes as well K2. I have a really sweet full suspension full carbon fiber K2 thats dying of loneliness in the corner under a nice thinck layer of dust. Poor MTB :(

A Specialized Rockhopper Comp or a Hard Rock are both in your price range. I would lean more toward the Hard Rock myself as it makes a great all around MTB.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I'll 2nd for the Trek Bikes

Top Bottom