MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
You know there have been a number of kids bikes stolen here recently and that is just downright WRONG. Sometimes no matter what you do or where you put your bike, they are going to steal it. Thieves are thieves and they just don't care about your feelings or your kids feelings. They don't care how many hours you worked to pay for that bike or how much you put into it.

SO, Is your bike insured????? What if someone steals it?? I have my YZ125 insured for Fire, Theft, and Vandalism for about $80 a year. I just added my kids XR50 for only $14 a year . I consider that pretty cheap. I don't like having to pay for insurance but when you need it you'll be glad it's there. I don't sell insurance or know anyone personally that does. I just think some of you might want to think about getting some just incase the bad guys come around.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
we insure our two primary bikes. we have a jr 50 that is uninsured. maybe i'll add it too.

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
Yep, full coverage on my 2002 Rm 250 comp. (theft vandilism) and collision (crash, falls out of my truck on) $250 deductables for $12 per month. No coverage on my old honda 82 CR 250.

ars0n

Sep 10, 2003
Who would I contact about getting my xr50 insured? Is there a insurace company that does these things because my car insurance people said they can't do it. There has been a lot of theft around my house of xr50's and I don't want to get screwed. Any info would help, please e-mail it to [email protected]

Thanks

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
I can't imagine not having it! I pay around $250 per year on my 300 through Progressive. Kinda high, yes, (but thats what I get for being young I guess) if something ever happened, its well worth it.

I'm just happy that my premium went down $170 from last year.

bratt

Pain in da butt
Mar 22, 2002
Since my yzf is financed I carry full coverage on it. Comp, Collision and I pay somewhere around 200 a year. Considering all the dirtbike thefts I read about I don't really think being without insurance is a smart choice.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i have the following bikes insured through progressive: 03 honda cr 85 expert, 85 honda nighthawk, and 73 yamaha enduro. comp, collision, liability; actual cash value w/ $100 deductible. grand total of $82 per year.

when i had a '00 cr 250, it was $50/year.

Last edited:

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
man, something has to be wrong, i pay about $750 a year to insure my berg, I have comp, collision, fire, theft, all that but i have a $500 deductible. I think its a waste of money at that rate. I did check around and progressive was the cheapest. i plan on dropping it when my year is up.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by jaction125
Who is that through 547? I didn't realize it was that cheap, I,ll be insuring mine soon me thinks? :silly:

progressive. the rate varies by state. for some reason, oklahoma is cheap. also i get a multiple vehicle discount (our cars are insured by progressive too), ama discount, no tickets on record, and i'm old.

the yamaha enduro costs $4 per year. yes, four dollars.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Ummm Progressive wanted like $800!!! a year for our two bikes!

We ended up putting them on our homeowners for maybe $250 a year?

B

biglou

Dave-You should see about dropping who you have now and taking the prorated remainder as a refund. Even if they hit you with a fee, you will still prolly come out way, way ahead!

I've got mine insured through Shelter Ins. I have the choice to do only comp and collision through some loophole since my truck is insured with them. The kTm is/was $48/yr and the 426 is $78/year with $500 deductable. According to my agent, they are insured "No matter what happens to them. Falls off the trailer, out of the truck, stolen, fire, house falls in on them, tree falls over on them, etc." Hopefully I'll never have to find out!

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Had ours on State Farm, which covers our house and autos as well, but then switched to Progressive over a year ago.  Just over $100 a year for both KTMs.

Progressive was MUCH cheaper for dirt bike coverage.  Street bike and auto coverage were higher at Progressive, so we left those with State Farm. 

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by Senior KX Rider
Progressive gave me a better deal than State Farm and SF insures everything for me, house, cars, life. State farm does me right on everything else but it seemed like they were not much interested in insuring dirtbikes :|
Senior - I had the exact same experience with SF and Progressive. And my SF agent is a good friend who tries to give me the best deal he can. In fact, he told me to go to Progressive - SF just couldn't be competitive on dirt bikes.

www.bike-line.com also has very competitive rates.

crf450guy

Sep 1, 2003
I was told that if the bike was stolen out of the garage of your house it would be covered under homeowners insurance..is this true??? I dont wanna get an automobile policy on it because my driving record sucks and it would cost a fortune....

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
State Farm carries my homeowner's insurance. My agent stated that a dirtbike stolen out of my garage would not be covered under the homeowner's policy because it can be insured under it's own separate policy.

I'm not saying it makes total sense, but that is SF's policy in Michigan.

Also, don't assume that your driving record is automatically considered when calculating premiums on off-road only dirt bikes. Check it out.

wormser77

Sep 10, 2003
In washington a bike in no way will be covered under a homeowners policy, unless of course you can convince them it was used for lawn maintanence :)
All my bike companies also use your driving record for rates, but it doesn't affect the rate that bad. Most policies I see run about $150 for a year of full coverage with some points on the record.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I have mine insured as a rider on my homeowners insurance. You set the value you want to insure the bike for and then pay $4 per $100 of coverage. So the $6000 CDN I insured the 03 RM125 for costs me $240 a year.

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by crf450guy
I dont wanna get an automobile policy on it because my driving record sucks and it would cost a fortune....

im in the same situation, when I filled out the stuff at progressive.com i just told them i didnt even have a licence, then it doesnt ask for your DL# or anything, since my bike isnt licenced on the street, they need not worry about my driving record.

ALarsh

Jul 20, 2003
I just got insurance today from state farm. I got $100,000 in bodily injury, $300,000 in property damage, $100,000 in medical payments, theft, fire, and collision with a $500 deductible for $102 a year on the 03 CRF150F.

I think thats pretty good considering i'm 14.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Just had mine (CRF450 & YZF250) with State Farm for $86 per year.
Dirt bikes are in fact cheap to insure here, however, cars aren't. I'm paying $400 more per year on the 2 cars than I did on the same cars in the Chicago suburbs! Has to do with uninsured motorist coverage, I'm told. In addition, home owners is 40% higher on a much less $ value home. Ugg.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom