Mx-tech

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
I just sent my forks off to John at MX-TECH at there PA location, but I forgot to ask a few questions. I'm having my forks revalved and probably new springs put in. What springs do they use and why don't they offer a .38 spring for the kdx. I'm worried that there .40 might be to stiff.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Presumeably there was a good deal of discussion (or at least a data sheet) that included your weight, riding style and preference for the 'feel' of it all?

Isn't the person to ask, 'What springs are you using,' the person putting in the springs?

Or, do you mean what brand of spring? Jeremy has relatively recently started using springs from..uh..springtech is it? He used to have a note on the front of his website about it. I don't see it now.

Another question for the poeple doing the work, isn't it?

Call the guy up! You don't want someone else's opinion...you want the facts, right?

FWIW, mx-tech did my suspension. I have .40 532mm XR honda springs in my forks. Well, I did ask for 'em.......;)

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
I plan on calling him Monday, he should have gotten the today. I did talk to John for a while, I was just curious about what brand springs they use(thanks CC). He told me for my weight (155 lbs) and 15-20 lbs of the riding gear the .40's would work. But I believe FRP recomends .38's for my weight. Anyway I'll call him next week, I'm just like kid at X-mas waiting to get my forks back! :)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
One of the advantages of having a good tuner do work on your stuff is benefitting from his expertise.

That said, each tuner has his own 'flavor' of things.

THAT said, I'm a bit surprised of a .40 rec for a 155# rider. It would be curious if, not having .38s, a rec was made for .40s. That obviously wouldn't be right.

Here's some alarming news for 'ya!

I just ran: dirt, kdx200, 155#, enduro thru the mx-tech spring rate generator on their website. It returned as choice for fork spring:
Your recommended shock spring rate is....0kg/mm
Your recommended fork spring rate is....0kg/mm

And the list that follows that of what's available indeed shows .40 springs as the lowest available for the 36mm kyb fork.

I'd be making some calls pretty quick.

No, I'm not a tuner. Still, my flavor would be: .38s would probably be better than .40s for you.

wink-wink..there are .38 530mm long springs available from honda for your bike! They are for a 1996-99 XR400. Have 'em setup with 3mm preload. Oil level at 120mm.

A suggestion for your monday conversation................

If you have ANY question whatsoever, get ahold of jeremy. He may be interested in a .40 spring rec for a 155# rider.

But then, maybe you told him (and maybe you are) you're going to run this thing on the track. I'm assuming you will use it for its intended purpose....a woods bike. If you fashion yourself as some kind'a jumper or something, a heavier spring IS called for.

Last edited:

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
Thanks for your response CC, I was thinking of the .38's my self. That is what FRP recommends and just did the spring calculator again on MX-TECH. I got .38 for 155 lbs and .39 for 170 ibs(with riding gear), I'm definetly going to call him back Monday. I talked to Jeremy two weeks ago and he said I could probably get away with my stock springs. I told him they felt stiff enough for me at 8 clicks out. And I don't ride motorcross, I'm usually in 2nd or 3rd gear racing over (hare scrambles) a lot of rocks and roots. I'm going to tell John I want .38's put in, be it Honda, Race tech or there own brand of springs.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…