Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
It's been right at a month since I rode my 1st MX ever. For those who haven't read or know anything about me I'll fill you in a bit. FWIW in another thread, I'm a young 42 years of age and never raced in my life till last month. The last bike I owned till last year was a 73 Yamaha 80 enduro that my Dad bought me brand new. My 1st race last month I placed 6 over all with 8 riders in my class, I was happy to just complete the race unscaved. Since I've been there and done that I figured it was time to take it to the next level.

Today's race report is as follows.
Me & Tigger got to the Waco Eagles track last night about 20 minutes before dark, I was excited about the race the next day cause I had been practicing and felt pretty comfortable on the track. As we pull in I notice the tractor and bulldozer scraping the ground where the hair pin S curves and finish line jump had been, I had just about mastered them on Thursday. In their place was a 40' table top, about 40 more feet then a double that looked incredible then immediately a 80' table top. I didn't have time Sat. night to try before dark so I watched the only two guys on the track try it. One guy just kept sizing it up but never actually did it. The other guy jumped it every time but it launched you almost straight up in the air making it hard to judge the speed needed to comfortably clear it without over jumping.

After an almost sleepless night (too close to the train track) I woke up this morning to a dense fog. I gassed up the pumpkin and geared up to run my practice. The track felt good and I felt surprisingly good then the new section of track. Nobody was attempting to jump this thing. I figured "why do I need to roll this thing, just commit to it and do it." I nailed the berm, jumped the tabletop then stayed on the gas all the way up the face of the new double. Wa la, I cleared it and it felt good. The crowd was in augh. I impressed myself. I made about three laps of my practice and headed to the RV to conserve my energy.

Headed over to the riders meeting and got the race order, oh man, I'm race 11 out of 12. The races started with the D class and these guys were wild. On the next to last lap one of the guys over jumped a 50' table top and bailed instead of letting the bike soak up some of the impact, wrong thing to do. He ended up laying on the track for about 45 minutes with 2 broken ankles.

My 1st moto came at 11:55am, the sun was good and hot and the damp ground had turned to dry powdery dust. The gate dropped and I took 2nd in to the 1st turn. Another rider quickly passed me and that put me in 3rd place for 4 out of 5 laps. I made a mistake in a turn headed for the whoops and was passed again. I never could quite catch him again. Ended up with a 4th spot and 8 guys behind me.

2nd moto, 3:30pm. I figure I need a good start and I can at least place 3rd. The gate drops and I'm right there with 4 other guys right before the 1st turn. The guy on my left slams into me and knocks me into the guy on my right. Our forks somehow locked together but neither one of us were going to let off. The 2 of us ended up going straight instead of turning before we and suddenly got free. The amazing part is we somehow managed to get straightened up and back in mid pack in the next 100 feet. The first tabletop was there & I nailed it with authority and passed a couple of guys. Down the long sweeping straight away to a step up and I passed another on over that jump. By this time I was in 5th and balls to the wall. On the 3rd lap I had been watching the 4th place rider in front of me and I was on his tail. Using the experience I picked up in moto one I pulled off an amazing block pass in the S corner and I was gone. By the 4th lap I noticed I was almost half a lap in front of 5th but still a long way behind 3rd. Since I'm an old guy I just decided to maintain my pace as I was getting tired. Ended up with a 4th over all and my first trophy.

In summary I had a great time. It was flattering and almost funny to a point at the people wanting to go ride with me next week to learn some tips and pointers. If they only knew.:confused:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Over 40

The top 2 riders in that class also ride in the A class and the 4 stroke class. I'm not sure about the 3rd place guy.

If I can get my self into better shape I want to ride more classes. They had an over 30 class I think I could have done well in. The beginner class I would have done well in too but I'm not too keen riding with people that ride that much out of control. They don't hold lines very well and would appear that they don't look much further than in front of their fender so it's not a safe place for a person with responsibilities.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Way to go.

I have two motos under my belt and would like to do it again. Dry and dusty you say? My first one's were swamp motos. I didn't mind the mud but look forward to better track conditions. Good Job.:)

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Jeff: Glade to hear your second race was a good one. I just hope that this heartland spodes second race after my 10 year layoff is in dryer conditions. I had so much fun, that I'm kicking myself for stopping 10 years ago. But at least I was out there! Looking forward to your next race report.

Sawblade

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
My second MX

Well, almost, my second MX. I went to Cooperland on Saturday and met OKKx'r and his son. We got to the track around 11:00 on a beautiful sunny day. This was the practice day before the winter series race on Sunday. To our dismay, they stopped practice at noon and started watering.:(
We took a loop thru the woods and shot the bull for awhile then it was time to hit the track. Water the track:think , they flooded the long uphill and backstretch before the finish line jump. It was extra nasty. They had disked the area so there was HUGE mud clods throughout the tenth of a mile section. I took a less the graceful fall and just got rolled over enough to keep from doing a face plant:scream: . First practice, over for me.
The second practice session showed some improvement but the same section was still sloppy. The track layout was reasonable. The jumps were safe with no big kickers and several off-camber sweepers that tested your tires. I did much better and felt more comfortable than before. Second practice over.
The third session started and off we went. OKKx'r followed me thru the first half lap until I got arm pump real bad and pulled over. After a brief rest, I took off and cleared a small double heading up the nasty uphill towards the finish line jump and made the sweeper pretty good. Down the front straight and first two corners, the Mamba and I looked we were in tune. I took the first two tabletops clean and coasted into the third that immediately turned to the left. As I made my run thru the low area I started to hear a thumper closing fast on me. I gave alot of room at the next hairpen and Guy Cooper comes around on his KTM520 like I was standing still (I was). I was spent. I made the remainder of the lap and was "stick a fork in me, I'm done". Cooper was railing every corner and airring out every bump and jump (as if I didn't look bad enough before he showed up).
The track was fun and pretty safe. I decided against racing Sunday and will likely go trail ride. All in all, it was fun and OKKx'r and his crew were great and will look forward to riding with them again.
Cooperland gets a thumbs up for fun:cool: but the dude running the water truck should be a little more observant.:think

Last edited:

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Go Jeff! Thanks for the follow-up. My first-ever race will be Saturday the 3rd. I finally hit all the jumps on the track a week ago. I'm still not comfortable with the big downhill double (only 50 feet or so) and I overjumped the spectator table big-time. I almost collected a "Dot3" impression on my forehead ala Gomer. Crank the helicopter! I think I'm READY...:eek:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by Julius Pleaser
My first-ever race will be Saturday the 3rd. I think I'm READY...:eek:

Good luck Julius, focus and ride within your limits. Oh yea, don't forget to breath. Let us know how it goes:)

Top Bottom