My 99 yz400f is really hard to start(PLEASE HELP)it takes like a million kicks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CR_RIDER

Aug 4, 2007
I took the spark plug off and it was pretty black!!!!! I havent put it back on yet but I hope this is the problem!!It was pretty hard to take off.The frame was like right above the spark plug hole.But I had too fish the plug out with sissors..lol.Should I clean it with gas and sand it then put it back on?

CR_RIDER

Aug 4, 2007
I can adjust the idler on the fly It is a cable with a wheel on the end.Right by the gas line.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
CR_RIDER said:
Should I clean it with gas and sand it then put it back on?

The plug is JUNK go buy a new one. If you're smart you'll buy a few of them.

CR_RIDER

Aug 4, 2007
well Im just trying to find out if the plug is the problem.If not then why waste money on a plug when the one you have works?I put the plug on the frame and kicked it over and it has a few blue sparks.BUT I was only using my hand to push it over.Is the plug still good?Im just trying to get it running tonight.I will get another one tomorrow!Trust me I am listening to you rich.What should I do Bout the wiring.How should I check it?Should I take the connectors off and check for corrosion?

CR_RIDER

Aug 4, 2007
Oh yeah I no the spark plug buying procedure...lol.I owned many 2-strokes......I bought like 8 for the cr for its 5 months of being with me...

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
GEEZUZZ you are thick. Your bike won't start because you fouled a plug. BUY A NEW ONE :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

I'm done burning time on you. Do us all a favor, go play Xbox. It seems like motorcycles on a tv screen are more your speed.

CR_RIDER

Aug 4, 2007
Dude what do you want me too do?The nearest shop is like 30 miles away and my parents allways gripe me out for asking anything.I DONT HAVE A CAR OR LICENSE!!!!!And no way too get anywere.I have to beg my parents for like a week straight just for them to take me 2 miles away to ride my dirtbike in a field!!!.Let alone 30 miles.To get something that isnt the problem???.Im not fortunate enough for my parents to care about what I love and what I pretty much look forward to the weekends for.My parents dont care about my hobbies/sport

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
If the spark plug is bad you'll just be wasting your time doing anything else.. maybe even making things worse...

Your best bet rite now would just to get a new plug... buy one online and get it delivered to your house.. Or wait till you can get out there.. Any parts store will have it, and if they don't, they can get it for you. Maybe send a friend to get you one.

CR_RIDER

Aug 4, 2007
Well I was just curious if the bike would start When I cleaned the plug and sure enough...................................................IT STARTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thank god and rich and moparman.And everyone else for helping......I will get a new plug soon.I no this plug wont last long.It started 2nd kick!!!!!

CR_RIDER

Aug 4, 2007
so do you think any auto parts store would have them?It has a br8es or eg(cant remember) in it.Is that the stock plug?What are some new plug suggestions?Should I get a performance one.Or would a good ol' ngk r work just as good?

Cabot

Sep 3, 2007
You can get a spark plug almost anywhere.
Any Hardware store should carry them.

There will be a code of numbers and letters on your spark plug.. find one with the same code OR look in the service manuel (you should have one of these by now) and it will tell you what spark plugs to run.

We posted at the same time, but I run the ngks, and never really have a problem.

glad its working..

Oh, and by the way, don't forget to check/change the oil often!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
CR_RIDER said:
I bought like 8 for the cr for its 5 months of being with me...
that right there explains why the temperature drop didn't bother your CR125- it was jetted way to rich and when the temp cooled down the jetting was correcting itself. That bike if jetted properly would have been quite a bit more powerful and faster

CR_RIDER

Aug 4, 2007
ok I heard you have to run the bike a few minutes and then check the oil is this true?And how do you change the oil filter?I was reading my owners manual and It said you have to take off the header!Do you have to or is there a way too ease it off?do yall use the disposable oil filter or the cleanable ones?Oh yeah what kind of oil do you use semi synthetic,regular,or full synthetic.Thanks

CR_RIDER

Aug 4, 2007
I just laughed oldguy because I noticed the honda was running REALLY good when it cooled down...hahahaha.You are exactly right.That is funny.I never fouled plugs everysince......But its gone im sure the guy that has it now is VERY HAPPY!!!

CR_RIDER

Aug 4, 2007
Ok guys I went out there after cleaning the plug and it wont start again????Could someone let me no the jetting specs on a edlebrock quicksilver for my bike.and how to tune it for 50 to 60 degree weather?do you have to take the carb off?please I need to try this and then If that fails then I will have to get the valves checked.Or you could guide me through the checking the valves procedure.Im done with being scared to fix it.I will just man up.I really wanna get this bike running.And when you check the valves are you checking the valve springs or the valves?Are you checking the exhaust valve or the other one?or both.One more how do you check them?What are you looking for when checking them?I am ready too listen.....I am determined too get this bike running.With me doing the work!!!!!!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Kid, you have a fouled plug...plain and simple. You got lucky after cleaning it.
But the fact remains it needs a new plug. These engines are notorious for this, even though conventional wisdom says it only happens with 2strokes.

All the rest of your questions can be answered by doing simple searches here. They have all been answered and fully discussed before.
Nobody is going to spoon feed you everything you need to know in this one thread.
Heck, you don't even seem like you want the good advise given you, and would rather depend on your own personal assumptions. Not a good way to continue to get help, IMO.

Oh, you are NOW ready to listen?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Oh and btw, now that you are listening...
GO BACK AND FINISH SCHOOL OR GET YOUR GED!

What is wrong with you? No crying and moaning allowed, go back and finish. Geez.
I personally have very little patience for whining quitters.

CR_RIDER

Aug 4, 2007
YOU NO WHAT JAYFAG Im tired of being riticuled on these forums I found a NEW home on THUMPERTALK!!! I had a guy help me out with the same bike and same carb.And yeah he SPOON FED ME ALLRIGHT.hE GAVE ME HIS NUMBER AND TOLD ME STEP BY STEP EVERYTHING TO DO TO ADJUST THE CARB AND DO JETTING.So screw all of you crap talkers.You only say what you think the problem is the other one shows you how to fix it!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom