jimmy 420

Dec 7, 2005
i hav to shortin my chain do i need a chain breaker to get it apart?

can i just grind the head off the next link and put the master link in there?

should i buy a new master link?

it is a o ring chain just so ya no but i dont think that will matter any inof would help thanks

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
No
yes
is it a new chain? if yes, it should have come with a new master link, if no, you'll be buying a new chain soon enough. Of course it's always a good idea to have a spare in the box.

jimmy 420

Dec 7, 2005
the chain is not old i just changed the gearin so it is the wrong lenght now i was wonderin if i should get a new master link after i take it apart or if the old one can be reused just fine?

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
if you need it done now, as long as your carfull, grinding the heads off and poundinh them through w/ a hammer and punch will be just fine, a chain breaker is just for convienance.

and yes, you can reuse the master link as long as it isn't mangled.

May 4, 2006
Have you got a good vise? Thats what I use, just clamp it in and get a nail or something and drive the pin out of the link you want to remove. I have broken every chain breaker I have ever owned, except for the one that I use on chainsaw chain, which isn't big enough for MC chain.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I have taken apart literally hundreds of chains in the past years, and have never once broken a chain breaker. What you will do is eventually wear the pin out.

Grinder slag and elastomer o-rings do not mix well.

Top Bottom