my clutch 'drag's on my '04 kx125 , stalls when dropped into 1st

slipp3ry

Apr 20, 2009
Hello i just got this bike 3 days ago, it runs great so far but i am having trouble with it in 1st .

as soon as you drop it into first, it will stall unless you rev as you drop it into gear. It will also jump very slightly when put into 1st, emphasis on very slightly though.

But when you release the clutch as you give it throttle, it wants to go and lurches forwards but usually sputters , goes forwards a bit and stalls.. It takes several tries to get it going, i give it more throttle than necessary and sometimes it just catches and throws the front wheel up. But once it starts going, then its completely fine and shifts through all the gears perfect. As long as i only come to a rolling stop (dont stop completely), then it takes off again in 1st gear no problem.

Im really a bike noob but i tried to describe this as best i could. Please any advice / things i could do to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Check for proper clutch adjustment at the lever, you should be able to move the clutch lever about the equivalent of thickness of a couple of nickles before the clutch starts to work. If you have proper free play at the lever you may be looking at a notched up clutch basket that the plates are hanging up on instead of moving freely.

KIWI KDX

Apr 21, 2008
hey mate, sounds to me like your gera oil is too thick, when you have ger oil that is too thick your cutch plates stick together, when you give the bike a rev as you let the clutch out it can free the plates.

once the bike has been running for a bit the oil thins out this is why the clutch will seem fine.

hope this helps.

mas2de

May 3, 2009
If neither of the other suggestions work, (of course check your play at the lever first as Chili said) then it is a very slim chance (since it's a newer bike) that your clutch pushrod is too worn. in which case as far as I know you just have to replace it. good luck

Top Bottom