My Confirming That Less Is More

duke

Oct 9, 1999
Recently I spent the afternoon riding my freinds 2001 YZ250. Equipped with all the goodies, the bike is in excellent condition. The offer to ride it was predicated on his need in selling the bike to pay for his new CF450F. I rode the bike on the track and a little of the adjacent natural terrian that bordered the track. When all was said and done I said that his bike was great but not for me. I am faster on the KDX I said. Were I to have the time to ride once or twice a week, then I would take the bike. But here is the reality of things: I am 46 with a busy life style that currently allows maybe one good ride a month. With the YZ my time would be spent always trying to play catch up with a bike that is demanding and abrupt. With the KDX, my long absences between rides, isnt a concern. The KDX's ease of riding is always accomodating. As I said, I was faster on the track with KDX due simply to the comfort level it affords me. Single track isnt even a consideration here. My reason for sharing this is to offer some insight to others who are contemplating the purchase of something faster, but are without the luxury of having the oppurtunity to try a theoritically faster bike without an obligation in having to buy it. I now know there is credibility to all those other posts wherein the writer(s) made similar assesments about their lack of need for a more powerful machine. With a few H/S and off road GP's planned for 05, I have concluded that with my "moderate" skill level and lack of time to improve, the KDX will serve me well.

highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
This is really a very good post and alot of people forget this point. We are often so busy trying to get a bigger/badder version to compete with someone else, that we forget what our limitations and skills can handle.

I will not deny that if you are an ultra competitive pro that the bike may have something to do with it, but for the most of us I truly think that a bike's power and power delivery is more of a hinderance than a help.

I well set-up, reliable, well delivered 30-35 hp may actually be better than 45-50 hp for most of us (especially lower level amatuers). Would you rather ride aggressively or ride with fear and on the edge of out of control? BTW talking off road here and not drags or desert.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I agree with both of you. With my age and lack of fequency of riding I find that too much power just wears me out. I used to have an ATK406 that handled well if ridden aggressively. I found out, however, that if I wanted to relax a little I'd better watch out. It absolutely demanded to be ridden hard and fast or that good handling would just go away and I'd risk ending up on my butt.

RBSOB

Jun 24, 2004
Very well stated. Most of us in the 40+ crowd can appreciate the point of view. I got back into dirt bikes to enjoy the sport with my son but I won't even attempt to keep up with him as he develops in his abilities. He is 15 now and on a fast YZ !! Jim G

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I really enjoyed my KDX on the SX track I had built and then rebuilt as I improved on the kdx. I could be full throttle over the jumps and very much on the pipe. The feeling that I had pushed the kdx to its limit made me more excited than on a 250 mx bike that I would have to lug around on the track or risk over jumping and landing on the flats. The kdx throttle was not as touchy as a 250 as well. At 35, I don't need big risk any more, give me the thrill in a safe environment.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Duke,
Nice post.
At the same age with a similar lifestyle, I suddenly like my KDX more.
Is it fair to say that mid 40's with moderate skill levels, one would need to ride at least once a week to warrant the need for more HP and some what better handling?

duke

Oct 9, 1999
Theres always room for better handling, but more HP is a big debate. I suspect it is based on what it is you do. If hill climbs and sand drags is your only cup of tea, then have Fredette design you a nitrousoxide kit..LOL In terms of riding regime, I think its the quality over the quanity that will serve the "recreactionally time challenged" best. Putting around is ok, but sme form "riding scrimage" is a good, time effieicent means of refining and sustaining your skills. Every time I ride, be it the track or off road, I spend about 10-15 minutes doing figure 8's. It sharpens my braking skills, reminds me of proper body postioning, etc, and serves as a good warm up. I feel that a bike that is inherently easier to ride, will for most people be the better choice. Thats why on occasion you see riders competing in events with bikes that are theoritically slower. IE, racing MX on XR400 or a high end enduro bike, like an EXC. And yet, quite often these riders do well. Why? Becuase the component most often over looked in the equation is the rider. This isnt car drag racing where the vehicle does all the work. Motorcycle racing involves the rider as an intergral component. As such, the rider must match the skills of the bike. As you get older, your ability to react slows. Riding a bike that it too demanding and requires constant seat time just to control it isnt a sensible option to me. I think thats why as of late, you see so many older vet/senior mx riders involved in horrific accidents. Part of it is the tracks design of course. This by the way isnt limited to "40 somethings." Being 16 does not not in itself make one a factory rider. Without digressing too much, let me say that for me, with my mediocre skill level, a refined KDX is enough.
In closing, I was educated by a recent college grad, who earned her degree in some type of sports education discipline. She spoke about the theory of reaction time (the biggest enemy of the "aged") and its applicabilty to sport for the average joe. In essence, instead of trying to master a large amount of techniques for every situation, focus on a few, versitle moves that will work for most situations. As a result, there is less information for the brain to categorize and review in the heat of the battle or race.

Last edited:

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Thanks Duke; good advice.
I hadn't looked at it from the point of view of reaction time as much as strength and stamina. The idea of focusing (and mastering) a limited number of techniques for multiple situations makes a lot of sense when training and riding time is at a premium. The idea of practicing figure 8's is something I never considered. Do you practice them at slow and higher speeds (with varying radius size)?

duke

Oct 9, 1999
I allow the available conditions to dictate the speed. Slippery hard surfaces requires a more judicious approach then a loamy berm. Regardless of the surface, I maintian the basic position of keeping my upper body forward and relaxed, elbows slightly out, weight the outside foot peg a little, etc.... In reading the magazines there seems to be a different way of doing things for every little different surface nuance. Even then, some articles contradict the other. But trying to recall all these variances and apply them at speed requires daily practice and the fast twitch muscles of a talented 19 year old. I don't have either at my disposal, so basically I execute the same thing for every turn. It maynot always be the fastest, but it will always get me through the turn safely.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom