Rode my KDX00 on the MX track yesterday, not too shabby.

kx250kev

Jan 17, 2005
Well, I rode my KDX200 back to back with my KX250 at the MX track yesterday. The KDX did pretty well. It didn't have raw power out of the corners that the KX has, but I was actually impressed with it. For play riding on a MX track, the bike works well. Granted, the suspension was soft, but if you clear the doubles properly, you don't need stiff suspension. Yes, I'm much faster on the KX, but for anyone out there wondering if a KDX will work on a MX track...the answer is yes. When it comes to MX racing though, I'd have to say....the KDX just doesn't have the power/suspension to compete. However, if I was to race an enduro or harescramble, I'd probably ride the KDX because I can ride it longer without getting tired. ;)

KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
Good to here how well the KDX performs in comparison to your KX. I think the KDX is a great bike. It is just under rated by the mass. Once I install my KX forks it will be that much more fun if I hop on a track for fun. Now if I could only find a 2003 KX wheel.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
Though its been awhile, I had taken my KDX to a track that featured more old school type topography; milder jumps then normal and sweeping turns with lots of elevation changes. With this type of the track, the bike wasnt that bad. I passed a few MX bikes in the turns, especially the off cambers. I cant account for the skill level of those I passed, but I surmised that they were of beg skill level as thats about where I peg the skill meter, give or take. I plan on maybe taking advantage of the local vintage clubs offer in competing in the modern day class. I have seen a one another KDX out there, and he usually finishes on or near the podium while competing on a track designed to accomodate bikes from the 70's. Do a search and will you read others fairing well in local organized MX events, usually in the B or C level classes. It was in reading these postings that prompted me to do the dame thing. I am a firm believer that at the novice/beg level, especially in the vet and senior aged classes and even the raw beginner regardless of age, less is more in terms of power. Hell, I once bared witness to a guy racing MX on a basically stock XR250 in the novice 45 + class. He got a 5th or 6th out of what, maybe 14 riders.

kx250kev

Jan 17, 2005
I should note that my KDX200 is completely stock with the exception of Moose bars and .37 Kawi fork springs. With a 224 big bored engine and further front suspension mods, this bike could easily go from mild to wild. I'd like to drive a fully modified KDX on a MX track to see how it compares. Maybe someday my bike will have these mod's. Ongoing...

redramhemi

Jan 27, 2004
kx250kev said:
I should note that my KDX200 is completely stock with the exception of Moose bars and .37 Kawi fork springs. With a 224 big bored engine and further front suspension mods, this bike could easily go from mild to wild. I'd like to drive a fully modified KDX on a MX track to see how it compares. Maybe someday my bike will have these mod's. Ongoing...
where in wisconsin are you? Im from central MN I have a fully modded 225 KDX I think would be fun. You ever ride Arkansaw cycle park?

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I've done some MX riding on my KDX200 as well (no longer have it). I actually managed decent lap times at Budd's Creek, slower than my KX250 or YZ125 but still faster than most C and some B class MX riders:) Jumps fine as long as you hit the downslope, I did everything at Budd's except for the big gulp (up hill double, requires much more hp than the KDX has).

Top Bottom