My first ride - my 9yo's first ride - I'm not sure which was more fun!! (Long!)

Kuejo

Dec 7, 2004
I had the opportunity last week (after a lot of reading and careful consideration) to buy a lightly used 2001 KDX 220 from a gentleman just a little older than myself, whose kids have grown up and moved out. It was his bike, and as such, it was the perfect bike - lightly used, but not abused, and bone stock (which means I get to do everything!!) He kept it clean and lubed, ran it comfortably, and followed maintenance schedules - so I was PUMPED.

Even better, because I had made plans to go out this last weekend with a co-worker and his son to do some riding - he was going to let me use his other son's YZ250F, but when I got the KDX I decided to take it instead. He also has a PW80 that his kids have outgrown, and invited my 9yo to come along and ride with us.

Now understand that this was my first dirt-bike experience, but the absolute coolest part was that this was 9yo's too. There is no way to describe the mixture of pride, excitement, trepidation, fear and concern that a father has watching his son climb on a motorized bike - or what it feels like to watch him going down (because you KNOW he's going to!), or to be cruising along at 25 mph or so and see him hit a loose dirt patch and slide a little and worry that he won't keep it together.

I ride a street bike, so I wasn't uncomfortable for myself (just had to learn the power band - well, at least for now - I KNOW there's a lot more to learn!) but of course I couldn't prepare him enough for that first experience. And those of you who have been there - you KNOW what the first event was. Too much throttle, and he fishtailed one way, then the other, then back again, and finally down he went. And all I could do was stand there helplessly wondering whether I should laugh or rush over to help him! But he picked himself up, and we started again. (Good lesson then, too - because we flooded the bike!)

Well he wiped out a few more times, but got it down pretty quick. Steve and his son came back, and so we went out on a ride together - very flat dirt roads (California City, up near the prison) and my son did great. Had some lunch, and went out on a slightly more technical ride, as well as longer. Near the end we hit some downhill whoop-do-doos (I GUESS that's what they're called - big depressions?) Well, I could see it coming - he's going faster and faster, and he DOESN"T have peg riding down yet at all - so his butts coming off the seat, then his feet off the pegs, then his legs are flying out behind him (looked like superman!) and then he dumped it. That is HARD to watch, let me tell you, because I could totally see it comimg, and could do absolutely nothing to help him. But, he picked himself up, restarted the bike, and we finished the ride.

I guess he must have enjoyed himself - he couldn't stop talking about it. Yesterday he asked me if I thought Santa Clause might bring him a dirt bike this year (good timing, huh?). Hmmm. And my six year old put "dert bike" as number 4 on HIS list...

I guess I better get my wife out riding too (funny - when I came HOME with the bike, she didn't say much - and she has yet to ask me how much I spent...Maybe she really DOES want to ride with us...)

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
Great times- last weekend i watched my five year old doing donuts - he taught himself how to load the centrifugal clutch against the brake and break the rear tire loose.

He was so proud. .

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
That was a great story! and though I have no kids I can imagine what you must have been feeling seeing your son rocketing along, or taking a spill...

But take heart! because starting at the age he is, he'll learn all the techniques he needs to to stay safe when he gets older. I started just a little while ago at 42 and so any dump off the bike is a potential trip to the hurt locker :)

Your story about the whoops made me think back just a few months ago when I rode my brother's yz250 the very first time (first time ever on a motorcycle of ANY kind) and so no one gave me those important instructions like not to grip the throttle with a bent wrist on whoops... Hit the first one and cracked the throttle a little, hit the next one and cracked the throttle more, the third one and, well you get the idea :) It was none to pretty and I completely identify with the "superman" image :)

It sounded like a great time for you and your son! and you've got all the times ahead to look forward to!

Have a good one and thanks for sharing!

Feanor

p.s. If you think your post was long, you should check out the dissertations that I spew out! *laughing*

TEEEE

Jul 18, 2004
Right on!

Get the kids some bikes and all the protective gear!

I’m learning dirtbikes with my 5 year old. We got his JR50 this summer about a month after he learned to ride his bicycle without training wheels. I bought my used KDX about a month after that (my first motorcycle). He caught on pretty quick, but right now I’m trying to get him over a plateau...he just won’t go very fast.

He isn’t a real aggressive kid, and I’m trying to get him past his very slow putting along speed. Loose or bigger rocks are pretty tough for him on that little bike, so that adds to it. He loves to go ride, he’s got his own subscription to Dirt Rider, so all in due time, I’m sure....

css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
That has got to be the best story I've heard in a long time. I hope everyone of yas gets dert bikes for Christmas and have a good time.

ELF

kdxiowa

Aug 2, 2004
Great story, looking forward to spending some time with my boy as well. He is getting a XR50 from Santa this year and I am getting some suspension work done on the KDX. Can't wait to see how he does. Either way, I will never push him, just teach him about safety and practice. :cool:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
That is a VERY cool story!! Welcome too the sport, enjoy it I just bought my niece her first "Motoecykwil" A crf50, for Christmas.. She will be 3 next month :cool:

notenuftoys

Sep 3, 2004
Very cool! :cool:

I bought my 5 year old a KDX50, and myself a 200 back in September. I made a similar arrangement as TEEE; once he learned to ride his bike without training wheels, he could get a motorcycle (he'd been asking for about a year). But sad to say, on his first day, he hit some gravel and bit it pretty hard. :ugg: Now I'm putting training wheels on the 50, and trying to get him back going again.

But it sure it sure makes you proud watching your son riding a dirt bike! Congratulations, and get him a bike. We only have 'em that age once.

TEEEE

Jul 18, 2004
Kuejo and notenuftoys are right on...watching your son learn to ride makes you proud, but a little fearful too! Hope it didn't sound like I'm pushing my son...just lots of encouragement and positive reinforcement. :)

Sorry to hear of your son's wipeout. Mine had some painful spills before we got the knee and elbow pads. Its amazing how much those things smooth out the crashes. That, and it can add to your son's confidence knowing he's got more armor.

Merry dert bikin' Christmas :ride:

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
:cool: That's too Awesome!!! Keep it safe and often, it's the best time you will ever spend with them! :yeehaw:

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
Awesome stories everyone! I've got a 2yo son and I'm patiently waiting until I can get him on a 2 wheeler in a couple of years. My hope is that we can enjoy the trails together for a long time.

Ride on!

razrbakcrzy

Aug 12, 2004
I have (2) son's and they both have been involved in a whole host of activities, football, baseball, golf, basketball since the age of 5 or so. This last summer i finally had the chance to buy a dirt bike and (2) quads and I can tell you one thing " If you want to motivate a teen aged boy, buy a motorized offroad scream machine" My youngest son failed the 8th grade last year. I tried every thing to get him motivated. We grounded him, we took away the tv, computer, the radio, the video games, phones & the door to his room. We made him work in the yard, in the house & at his grandmothers for free. we went to school with him every day for a week. We even changed his school. All it took was for me to buy the bikes and tell him " no grades = no rides" I now have a young man who does what he is told on the first conversation, he make all grades C or above. I demand not less that a 2.5 GPA. He even surprised us and made the deans list for the first time since he was in the 3rd grade. My older son Is currently driving the 92 kdx 200 street legaled (baja designs, dot tires, moose lighting coil. trail tech race computer(speedo).) back and forth to school and playing on it on the weekends. Nothing makes me prouder than to see them on the bikes racing across the open areas at our local riding area enjoying every second of being together as brothers. My oldest just got his first taste (sweet) taste of real riding enjoyment on a bike this weekend he has finally got the hang of aggressive riding techniques. His latest accomplishment is a 40' double jump takeoff side to landing side with out being scared. That is he's not scared, i didn't say anything about me and his mother. :eek:

Jim

driftwood

Feb 11, 2004
Great stories guy's ... I agree with TEEEE, the protective gear is crucial for not only the kids but for us old guys too. The times riding with my son have been such a treat and something neither one of us will ever forget. Started my son on one of those old Honda Trail 70's ... remember those. At 12 I moved him up to an 84 DT125. Once he grew out of that I handed him my 89 KDX forcing me to buy an 02 KDX220 ... (forcing, ya right ... I can't say enough about these bikes).

03KDXHOPPER

Nov 23, 2004
I remember how proud my Dad was when I learned to ride the 3 wheeler. That was my first motorized machine... Then onto the 4 wheeler. Finally, after borrowing bikes on vacation for 4 years, Finally got a KDX new at age 23.
The part of the story that gets me is the 'dert bike' part. Reminds me of my sister-in-laws kids. They write stories about our vacation adventures in class.

I agree that riding is a good motivational tool as well. Being grounded from the 3 wheeler was capital punishment when I was a kid!

libskater

Sep 26, 2003
i started riding when i was 3. my parents got me a minibike after i decided i wanted to take the training wheels off my bicycle by myself and learn how to ride my bike on my own. and i did in one day. one thing i do remember from my first time on a bike was when my dad told me to ease on the throttle.... i opened it wide open and took off hit a bump, front end in the air all the way into a ditch. i was laughing the whole time. but i got back up and tried again. i think i scared my parents that first day pretty horribly but now dirtbiking is the one and only sport i love more than anything. it keeps me out of trouble because im always wanting to go ride instead of go hang out with the wrong crowd and do drugs. it keeps me active and happy too. i believe that my parents getting me that minibike and starting my passion for dirtbiking was the best thing they could have done for me. my passion has drove me to become a mechanical engineer so i can learn more about the aspects of how dirtbikes work and what factors are important with them. by all means get your kids started with dirtbiking. its by far the best sport to get them involved in. sure they will get hurt, but everyone gets hurt. its just a matter of how you teach them as to how much they get hurt. but they will get hurt no matter what so dont make them putt around. jsut let them have fun and they will learn what is good and what is bad just like they will with everything else. plus taking away the dirtbike because of grades is a very good way to motivate a child. i know from experience.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
You guys with youngsters - check out www.motokids.com (there might be a hyphen between moto & kids, can't remember). It's a magazine for the little ones.

I ride with little kids a lot (hey, it's nice to be able to keep up with someone) and even though none of them are mine, when they come off I always have my heart in my mouth (never mind I'd have to explain to mum or dad what happened). I'm dreading the day that one does actually get hurt, but I'd imagine mum or dad will be with me or the little one. Watching their confidence grow is amazing, it happens in a day. It's just neat to see and somehow be a part of.

My husband and I help run "family days" for our club and to be honest, it's the smile on the little kids' faces that makes it worthwhile for me. We used to close the trails for half an hour for lunch and one little boy refused to take his helmet off to eat (I'm not sure he even did eat) and just waited till we opened the trail up again. It's those sights and memories that are the ones that really do count and makes hundreds of hours cutting trails worthwhile. Reading stories from proud dads/uncles is also way cool, I just think dirtbiking kids are the best.
Michelle

03KDXHOPPER

Nov 23, 2004
Michelle's comment about confidence growing is key... I fought that battle borrowing bikes and bending shifters on the rocks myself (not to mention bruising my ego and collar bone). My 'mentors' would fix the bike and send me off again.

I've had the pleasure to see my cousin Kristen (age 29) learn how to ride in the last year. She would fall and give up for awhile, but now her wheels come off the ground once in awhile, and she repeats the jumps. Confidence changed somewhere... She got tough quick with a bike...and with no experience prior to last year!

notenuftoys

Sep 3, 2004
Michelle, you're exactly right about the confidence growing. I posted previously that after my son's spill on his first ride, he didn't want to ride anymore.

Well, on Saturday, I took my son and nephews (in town for Christmas) riding. After riding around with me or my nephew on my bike (even some small jumps! :eek: ), he decided to ride his bike without training wheels. It was obvious that riding on my bike, he became comfortable with the side to side movement. Also, since September, he's grown a little taller, and his feet touch the ground easier. So off he went, clearly more confident that he could ride it. It was a short ride, but he did it, and I was prouder than a peacock!! :laugh:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…