My letter to the media - lack of coverage of SX

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
All:

I have been busy this morning sending emails to my local TV stations and newspapers. Why? Because I am sick of the media treating our sport as a "fringe" element. Supercross is ignored because is is not a typical ball and stick sport. These guys need to wake up. Here is the basis of the letter I sent today:

+++++++++++++

To the sports editor:

I am writing letter to call your attention to the fact that a major sporting event is occurring this weekend in Dallas and your station has not called any attention to it.
Do you know of the event to which I am referring? The AMA Supercross series is making its’ annual stop in Dallas this weekend, and as usual, I predict that your station will give this event, and the AMA series little if any coverage. I do not understand why the media shrugs off this sport and refuses to give these talented athletes the coverage that is given to other athletes that participate in so-called “ball and stick” sports. Supercross is one of the most physically demanding sports out there and these athletes take their careers very seriously and have trained for years just be able to compete at this level. To win at Supercross takes a level of commitment that very few are willing to make.

Why does your station and others like it continue to ignore the growing phenomenon that is Supercross? Here are some statistics that might make you reconsider your stance that Supercross is a “fringe” sport:

-Average attendance: ~50,000 (this is especially notable since many of the races are held in areas that are not considered to be major metropolitan areas)
-Number of events in series: 16
-Number of people that went to SX events in 2001: ~800,000

These figures are growing every year, yet traditional information channels refuse to give coverage to this sport.

My Challenge is this: Go to this year’s event. Watch these tremendous athletes perform. Speak with them. Speak with the fans. I predict that whoever accepts this challenge will become a fan too. I also predict that this sport will continue to flourish and could very well be the next “NASCAR”. Wouldn’t you like to say that you were there first?

Sincerely,

+++++++

I urge each of you to do the same. It only takes a minute....

-jeffd

jharmon

Aug 1, 2001
Jeff,

I'm not defending the media, but this problem has existed for a while, and there are several people at fault. The biggest culprit are the Promoters. They don't know what they are doing. And all it takes is a little creative ideas.

NASCAR was in the same boat about 10-12 years ago, and now look at it

I went to school at Kent State and majored in Public Relations. I would love to have the chance to promote this sport. I seriously believe it wouldn't be that difficult to elevate to the NASCAR level.

We have to keep in mind, motocross will never compare with Baseball or Monday night football, but it can compare with other sports such as NASCAR.

I heard Jeremy McGrath Productions just came out with a new movie. I haven't seen one commercial for it yet. Here is a perfect way to promote motocross. Sure it may take a little more money, but if the film makers teamed up with the promoters of Motocross (or Specific Teams) and they promoted the movie to be a block buster, then the sports would gain more attention.

This is simple to do, and I don't know why nobody has tried it.

Here's another idea. Send PSAs (Public Service Announcements) to all radio stations. When the DJ, runs out of things to say and is still looking for a song, he usually grabs a PSA and reads it, so there is no dead air.

This is free!! And yet, I don't hear a thing when the motocross comes to Broome-Tioga in Binghamton, NY.

I don't get it either. Maybe someone will start doing something right.

Thanks for letting me get that off my shoulders.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
I'm sure that Clear Channel does send out press releases. In today's world of radio with automation and voice tracking, the DJ is never looking for filler. They don't read PSAs just to take up time. There's a committee that decides what PSAs are going to be aired, then they are recorded ahead of time, and stored on the Traffic systems hard drive. The traffic manager then schedules the PSAs on the log just like regular commercials and songs.

Clear Channel currently owns more than 1200 radio stations, 19 TV stations, and billboards in 46 US markets. Clear Channel alone could make SX seem like it's everywhere without even going outside of it's own company.

Clear Channel owns these 7 stations in Dallas:
KDGE-FM - 102.1
Format: Alternative
Metro: Dallas, TX

KDMX-FM - 102.9
Format: AC (MIX)

KEGL-FM - 97.1
Format: Rock

KFXR-AM - 1190
Format: Sports

KHKS-FM - 106.1
Format: CHR (KISS)

KTRA-AM - 1190
Format: Sports

KZPS-FM - 92.5
Format: Classic Rock

These are the stations that will be promoting the race. These are the stations that are giving out tickets, and these are the stations that will do live remotes from the races.

The ball is clearly (no punn intended) in clear channel's court. SX will be whatever Clear Channel makes of it. No more, no less.

Now, as far as legitimate News coverage, the local TV stations are lacking when they chose not to cover a major sporting event of this magnitude in their own city. That's a good letter. I wonder if they will reply to you. They probably won't.

Last edited:

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
I got a reply form KXAS' Scott Murray. It is a good start. He gets points in my book just for reading and replying.

-jeffd

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Here is Scott's reply (KXAS Dallas Sports Anchor)

-jeffd

+++

I'm on my way to Texas Stadium to do a story on it right now.. but, unless
people like yourself (somebody called me yesterday) let us now, sometimes
those things go unnoticed.. thanks.. Scott

JimmyD2

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2000
Clear Channel promotes SX more like Monster Truck shows than a real sport. They even have the same guy do the voice over on the commercials. I'm not sure they realize there is a difference...

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Originally posted by JimmyD2
Clear Channel promotes SX more like Monster Truck shows than a real sport. They even have the same guy do the voice over on the commercials. I'm not sure they realize there is a difference...

Good point. I think Live TV coverage for all rounds would definately move the sport forward. Not just because I would like it, but it would help to legitimize the sport, and newcommers would be able to find the events EVERY Saturday night.

Top Bottom