My new (used) bike. Video and questions.

Dec 8, 2007
Bought a used 2008 crf450r from my friend, it's completly stock. He's a top 10 finisher in the C class, not a real aggressive rider. The bike had about 40 hrs on it when I bought it and I've put 7 hrs on it. The previous owner did almost no maintenance. When I bought it I changed the fork, steering dampner, engine, and trans oil, regreased the steering stem bearings, installed hour meter and checked the valve clearances (they were in spec.)

Heres the video of me riding it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqTaRJUPpNk

Questions:
1)The manual says I should replace the piston and rings every 15 hrs. So it's about 32 hrs overdue. How realistic is the manual service interval? Should I not ride it until it's replaced?
2) Wiseco makes pistons up to 12.9 compression ratio. Stock is 12.1. Should I get a higher compression? If so, whats the highest I can get away with on 92 pump gas?
3) Should I buy a new cylinder also?
4) The chain is worn out. I want to get an o-ring chain. Can I just put it on or do I have to reverse the front sprocket, or do I need some spacer?
5)In the first turn in the video, before the little double I have experienced a bog a couple times. Do I need to do some AP mod?
6) What else should be replaced for a crf approaching 50hrs. Timing chain? Tensioner? Anything?

Ok thanks.

Top Bottom