My piston skirt broke off. Do I have the right idea about cleaning out my engine?

joelyles2004

Mar 5, 2004
I've already turned the crank and alot of it out. Also I put a paper towel between the crank weights and spun it. That got the finer pieces out. Later, I blew the crankcase out with a pocket blow nozzle, and lastly I poured 2 stroke mix in it and shook it & dumped it out. I then relubed the crank & bearing with 2 stroke mix. I payed to have a steel sleeve put in it, $300 parts & labor. I'm puttinga wiseco piston kit in it & new gaskets. Do I have everything covered??????

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Without splitting the cases to visually inspect the crank bearings, you'll only know by trying it. If it makes it 15-20 hours, then you can figure you got it all. If you want to be completely sure and safe, you'll need to split the cases and the crank to have all new bearings put in.

Honestly...you've done more than I would do. I'd just run it and stay away from any big jumps for the first 10 hours or so.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Don't cringe all.

Had the same thing happen on my first bike a 1982 RM125. Being the spode "mechanic" I was at age 14. I turned the bike upside down with the cylinder off and flushed the crank out with a garden hose! I spun the crank back and forth and put about 10 gallons of water in it. Then I dried it out and filled it with 2-stroke, dumped that out. After that I sprayed some WD-40 in it and hit it with my blower. Then I put it all together and she ran like a champ!

BTW, the skirt cracked off because the piston had excessive slap due to it probably having 100 hours on it. A wonder it even ran.

Mike

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
Hopefully your good to go, but like Gomer said, you can't be certain unless you split the cases. When my piston skirt broke, I split the cases and discovered that the cases had also cracked underneath the crank :| I wouldn't have seen this without spliting the cases.

Top Bottom