whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Stupid projects superseding my goal(dirtbikes) never ends! But, this may turn out pretty cool. I was working in the flood zone of Munster Indiana. Guy opens his garage and I am staring at some type of contraption that looks like a buggy? Come to find out, its a 1960 Volkswagon frame, with a 1965 140 hp Corvair Turbo engine and drivetrain "mortised" to the rear end. He then put a conduit frame around it, he was going to fiberglass it later. Well his son who was helping died, he lost interest over the years and let it sit, since the early 70's. Then when the Munster pumping station lost power, it got submerged in 4' of Munster's finest sewage and storm water. After a week, its alive! It does yank the front end off the ground! I will have to get on the pics. I am looking into some type of bodies. No dune buggy styles. The conduit will be replaced with a tubular rollbar and minimal frame work. I have all the titles, making it street legal is a goal. So is Silver Lake Michigan! And yes, driving it at Attica Indiana is not out of the question. I will race any quad!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Ahh, noo! Right rear only, very cheesy donuts. Posi trak or something else for sure. It sure corners quick, real tight radius. I would be surprised if it weighs near 800 pounds. Good power to weight ratio! But when it breaks loose, nada. A lot sure seems french to me. But it did come with the oldest clymers I have ever seen!

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Ahh, noo! Right rear only, very cheesy donuts. Posi trak or something else for sure. It sure corners quick, real tight radius. I would be surprised if it weighs near 800 pounds. Good power to weight ratio! But when it breaks loose, nada. A lot sure seems french to me. But it did come with the oldest clymers I have ever seen!

Bust out the welder! :cool:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Need a connector stat! I did find out it is a 6 cylinder horizontal 1965 1x4 Spyder engine. Engine alone, in the water still worth 5 grand. Hmmm, I smell a dirtbike? Hope I have some potatoes for my eyes later.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Geez! About time! Still have not got this 1960 VW front figured out? The motor rips! Pitched the old distrubutor and points. Need some epoxy coil? And the new manifold is coming, already have the Holly. Got a sweet deal on a VW roll cage, now adapting it to the Corvair rear. And something about a spool for the differantial, or 400 dollars for new spider gears? 140 hp air cooled Ralph Nader nightmare, Silver Lake is calling!

Attachments

• buggy1.jpg
    buggy1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 123
  • buggy2.jpg
    buggy2.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 117
  • buggy.jpg
    buggy.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 123

SVTMc-G

Apr 1, 2006
SWEEEET! I love buggies. Man...sell that motor and get yourself a bike!!haha I dunno though....nothing more fun than a man-kart!!!!!!hahaha :ride:

SVTMc-G

Apr 1, 2006
oooooohhhh. you're thinking smart!!!! I'm sure there's a corvair forum somewhere and there is someone there that would love to have that motor!!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom