brandolph

Oct 7, 2002
I've got a '96 RMX that's driving me nut's. It makes an awful rattle at idle when the clutch lever is out. Pull in the clutch and it's quiet as a 2-stroke mouse.
I've essentially completely rebuilt the thing in the last two months but the noise hasn't changed.
It's got-
-a new top end-had the steel cylinder bored to the piston size
-new powervalves(due to a catastrophic pv failure) that are properly shaved for the overbored cylinder
-new crank, countershaft, driveshaft, and shifter shaft? bearings and seals
-and the last thing I did, only to try to fix the rattle, was to put a new clutch hub, bearing and spacer on it. Went with OEM parts on the clutch hub as I couldn't afford a Hinson.
But the damn thing still sounds like it's full of marbles when it's in neutral and the clutch is out.
The only things that I can think of that are left are the water pump bearings (that I wouldn't think would be affected by the clutch and seemed in perfect shape) and more new clutch parts.
Could the clutch hub cause this?? Or worn pressure/friction plates?
The clutch works great so I didn't change em.
There's still a lot of play in the new hub even with the new parts.
I've been trying to ignore the noise but it's pretty damned loud and I'm easily annoyed by stuff like this.
Somebody please help before I put this thing out of it's misery!!
thanks
bob

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
A lot of bikes make that noise. It is caused by some kind of slop in the clutch system, probably a bearing. Take off your clutch and inspect that.

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
Its called clutch rattle, do a search on it if ya like but to my knowlege totally normal for my bike does this ,2000 cr250. Not to mention I put a new clutch in it 3 weeks ago,
A quote from work:

"If it aint broke, dont try and fix it"

not trying to be rude, but thats what i get told when messin with stuff at work, but i can help it, i guess cause im used to fiddling with my bike :)

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Nice bike there.

Neither of mine make this noise, but if exercising the clutch causes the noise, it's in there, not elsewhere my friend. Perhaps a clutch part was not replaced or tighten/torqued/installed incorrectly?

E-mail me for more RMX stuff: millenniumdsj@hotmail.com

yamahaxt

May 23, 2001
I have a 96 RMX that does the exact same thing. I've bought new plates and springs to replace, but like the other person said, if it aint broke don't fix it.

brandolph

Oct 7, 2002
Yeah but it sounds like it's fixin' to break at any moment. And my friends keep giving me hell about it breaking down in the middle of nowhere. And it makes me nervous!
This'll let ya'll know how dumb I am but does the countershaft quit spinning when the clutch is pulled in? I'm calling the shaft that the clutch assembly is on the countershaft and the shaft that the front sprocket is on is the driveshaft. Could bent shifter forks rattle on the countershaft when it's in neutral and the clutch is out and stop rattling when I pull the clutch in??
Guess I'll have to learn to live with it 'till it breaks because I'm sick of spending money on it.
Damn thing's makin' the last of my hair fall out.
Thanks all-
bob

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
bob I would think it has something to do with the bearings for the clutch. maybe the one in the center of the outer basket(forgive my ignorance for not knowing the name of the bearing.) I sure its something you checked but sometimes the most simple things are the over looked ones. I once forgot to tighten the locknut for the clutch assembly(caught in time thankfully!!!) anyway its a good chance its just a quirk for that model. sleep well bob if you've done all your homework im sure its fine.

Top Bottom