mcdaddy

Mar 26, 2007
All right here we go
This is for my son
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)4'10" 80 lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?8/10
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????MX and some harescrambles
4) Do you have any riding experience?1 year on TTR125
5) Do you think you will race ?Definitly
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?My son is not, but I am
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? nope
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? all
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike? doesnt matter
10) Do you live in California? uhh no
11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion? I have to 12 year old sons and one rides a crf150r and he loves it, but my other son rides a ttr125, and he can't keep up with my other kid on it. He was doing perfectly fine until ryan (150R) makes a bad mistake and lets his brother Andrew (ttr125) ride his 150. Andrew loved that thing, But it is tall for him, and the 150 is VERY loud. He wants a race bike though and I know most of them are loud.

Thanks
John

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
wouldnt that be to small? I had a friend that was 4'7" and he was cramped on a 65.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2007
At 4-10 i dont think a 65 will do it. If you buy a RM85 it is the smallest seat height wise but is probbable the least competitive 85 out there. The YZ85 is the fastes 85 besides the KTM. There are things you can do to lower the bike such as, cut down the seat foam, and lowering link. This might be a bit of a strech for switching between bike. You should probable use a flywheel weight to tame the it and make it easy for slow speed riding. Also, if you find it is too loud the look no further and for only $100.
http://www.thedbsnorkel.com/ Besides 2 strokes are not loud but simply have a different noise pitch.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
2 strokes for life said:
At 4-10 i dont think a 65 will do it. If you buy a RM85 it is the smallest seat height wise but is probbable the least competitive 85 out there. .
I wouldntg say its the least competitive. I've seen kids who go out and rip on a yellow bike and whip yamaha kids butts in races. Also the lowest stock 85 is the CR85, not the RM. Do some research before you post what you don't know.

Jan 3, 2007
150rguy, your one to talk about doing research befor posting. You dont even know what a power valve is do you or a expansion chamber. Byt you will go look it up and tell me what it is wont you. Sure you see kids ripping it up but that is skill not machine. If you recorded lap times for that same person i bet one of the slowest lap times would be on the RM85. The CR is lower but every one knows honda is the furthest behind 2 stroke out there stock. So go home and bend your bars some more.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
2 strokes for life said:
. The CR is lower but every one knows honda is the furthest behind 2 stroke out there stock.

Hondas 2 strokes may be behind, but the 85 is just as good as any other 85s. I did do all my research in this post. It was you who was saying the RM85 is the lowest 85.

Dec 10, 2006
2 strokes for life said:
The CR is lower but every one knows honda is the furthest behind 2 stroke out there stock. So go home and bend your bars some more.
Yeah, but they ended their 2 stroke line cuz they know 2 STROKES are going down hill.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Your son will enjoy an 85 MX bike. They have way more suspension and engine than the TTR 125. I would go to the dealer and have him sit on a few bikes. Pick the one he is most comfortable on. The used market has lots of 85's at good prices. Since most kids only spend a year or two on this size of bike. The 85 comes in two sizes, bigwheel (16 inch rear and 19 inch front) or small wheel (14 inch rear and 17 inch front)

The KX100 is a nice option too.

Keep in mind the bikes at the dealer are new and the suspension will sit a little lower once broken in.

All the bikes are great. Yes, Honda has admitted they are stopping R&D into their 2 stroke line. But lets face it, they were damn good little bikes. Although the dealers are lessening their focus on 2-strokes, the after market is definately picking up the slack.

http://www.forwardmotion.com.mx/hondacr100.html

Good luck, Steve.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
150rguy said:
. Do some research before you post what you don't know.
I probably shouldn't of said that.

Top Bottom