LosT_PropheT

Jul 23, 2007
My wife wants to go out on the trails with me and was just looking for some advice on a first bike. I was thinking about a CR80 expert or maybe a CRF150 or CRF100, any thoughts?

1) 5'7, 140 lbs
2) Medium aggressiveness
3) Woods, Trails, fields
4) She has no riding experience.
5) No racing.
6) I've been learning how to work on two stroke engines, but no experience on four strokes.
7) No real brand loyalty. Maybe slightly towards Honda or Yamaha. I personally have a bias towards two strokes, but I know that four strokes are usually better for beginners.
8) We have a Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha dealership around, but I don't plan on using them.
9) Up to $2000-$2500 probably.
10) Don't live in California
11) 22
12) I'm trying to keep her from falling down an excessive amount, because I don't want her to get turned off to riding.

Any thoughts would be nice. Thanks. :p

9)

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
Stick with the bigger wheels, a four stroke and an electric start. Her height could easily handle the crf150 or something comparable. Good luck and have fun.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I would suggest a Yamaha TTR125 LE (or TTR125L). It's a great trail bike for a beginner, the LE has an electric start (L doesn't), it's a big wheel model, and you might be able to pick up a brand new one in your price range. Bike weight is around 170 lbs. without electric start and 185 with the electric start.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/237/0/home.aspx

The Honda CRF100F and CRF150F are okay options too, but the CRF100F has a little less motor, same size tires but slightly smaller, weighs about the same as the TTR, and I don't think they offer an electric start. And the CRF150F has a bigger motor, same size tires and a little taller bike, offers electric start, but weighs in at 225 lbs! That's a heavy bike for a beginner.

A CR80/85 2-stroke is usually difficult for a first bike because the power is like a lightswitch... one minute you're boggin, next it's a rocket! So it's a little harder to learn the clutch, and to control the hit and ride smooth on a 80/85cc 2-stroke for a first bike, especially in the woods. The little four-stroke trail bikes are more mellow and smoother with the power delivery. They require less clutchwork and are easier to ride for a beginner.

Good luck!! :ride:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Nikki is right on. My wife started riding this summer on a ttr 125l, no e-start. She loves it. A few little spills, but she does great. We paid just under 2400 otd. I would NOT go for a mx bike, she will be scared or injured.

SHSPVR

Oct 24, 2006
Nikki & Joe is rigth Women and 2-stroke don't mix becuase they get scared real fast becuase of the powerband when in kick in on 2-stroke.
four strokes engines are not that hard to work on
Person I would take a look at the new KLX140L
Main reason why
Rear hydraulic disc unlike the all other with old school Mechanical Drum which are there still living in stone age.
Aluminum swingarm where other are still using Steel swingarm
The rear shock with piggyback reservoir is fully adjustable preload, 4-way compression damping and 22-way rebound damping setting.
I would not suggest a Yamaha TTR125 they have no real power when you need it for flat land it ok other then look at the one above I say next best step is a CRF150F.

May 1, 2007
I would suggest a used TTR125 or klx140L because she needs to learn on something small like that and if you get a deal on it u can resell it and upgrade and not lose as much $. Nothing that you can get will be a good starter bike and not get old at the same time for a women. I have played around on a klx125 and they will putt around alright but once you ride it for some hours it gets old. Plus you would be waiting for her all of the time because they have terrible acceleration and are geared way high for my liking(and hills). Just buy something like that used and sell it in 5 or 6 monthes and get a 125 2 smoke for her.

Mar 16, 2007
nikki said:
I would suggest a Yamaha TTR125 LE (or TTR125L). It's a great trail bike for a beginner, the LE has an electric start (L doesn't), it's a big wheel model, and you might be able to pick up a brand new one in your price range. Bike weight is around 170 lbs. without electric start and 185 with the electric start.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/237/0/home.aspx

The Honda CRF100F and CRF150F are okay options too, but the CRF100F has a little less motor, same size tires but slightly smaller, weighs about the same as the TTR, and I don't think they offer an electric start. And the CRF150F has a bigger motor, same size tires and a little taller bike, offers electric start, but weighs in at 225 lbs! That's a heavy bike for a beginner.

A CR80/85 2-stroke is usually difficult for a first bike because the power is like a lightswitch... one minute you're boggin, next it's a rocket! So it's a little harder to learn the clutch, and to control the hit and ride smooth on a 80/85cc 2-stroke for a first bike, especially in the woods. The little four-stroke trail bikes are more mellow and smoother with the power delivery. They require less clutchwork and are easier to ride for a beginner.

Good luck!! :ride:

ditto , got ttr or i would say crf100. you dont want her over bikes and a 100 would probably be plenty. most likely she wont be doing much other than putting around. my gf rides a little pw50 and she is 5'6" about 130. went out to a big dry lake bed which was great. usually the wifes are putting, not doing the crazy trails. i would give a negative on a 2 stroke for her

bmcd308

Feb 9, 2007
My gf is about an inch shorter than yours and loves her CRF100F. It is a little small for her by most standards, but she is comfortable on it, and she can pick it up. Do not underestimate the importance of a light bike for her confidence. You GF is not going to want to ride in technical terrain if she is worried that she won't be able to pick the bike back up or manhandle it a little if necessary.

As others have said, buy used. Particularly if you get a CRF100F or a TTR125, buy used. These bikes are little tanks, and their engines are reliable. Chances are you won't have any problem out of a reasonably maintained used one. You can then resell in a few months for little or no loss if she decides that she wants a KX450F or no bike at all.

And don't try to teach her to ride yourself. The $100 you will save really is not worth it. There are professional teachers for a reason.

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
Dont go the 80/85 route. I bought my ex a yz85. Although it was in perfect condition and fit her well it was way too fast and she did not enjoy riding. I bought her a crf150 and she loved it. She was 5'6" and could kick start it just fine, although the new 150's are electric start. It held its value well too, i sold it for as much as I paid for it minus oil changes and a tire tube.

Mar 16, 2007
You can then resell in a few months for little or no loss if she decides that she wants a KX450F or no bike at all. :rotfl:

ditto, how many of us bought our wife/gf's a bike because they complain about wanting one only to let it sit in the garage!

Top Bottom