Need advice on clutch and shock repair!

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
I was racing a hare scramble today and I am having some problems now. I noticed that the rear shock on my 2001 KX250 was blown. Fluid everywhere. How hard are these things to rebuild? I have absolutely NO rebound. I took a real pounding today.

Also, I have been having problems with losing a lot of tranny fluid lately. Today though, I lost it all apparently. My clutch was slipping BAD by the end of the race. I'm thinking a crank case seal, but could I be burning up my clutch fluid somehow? I need to know what I should do quickly. I have a race next weekend that I can't miss! What would a bike shop typically charge to repair these things? Thanks! Matt

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Take the shock to a shop, you don't have the special tools and experience necessary, nor the time to acquire them for next weekend. Cost will depend upon how badly blown it is, and any damage.

On the clutch, yes it's possible you were sucking the oil in through the right side crank seal, or else you puked it out through a leaking seal. You're going to have to tear it down and find where it was leaking, and replace that seal and any others. Normally on Kawasaki's, this means splitting the cases.

Good luck getting it in shape for next weekend, looks like you've got a busy week ahead of you.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…