calamari racer

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2001
Thanks to the advice of DRN'rs, I have purchased a 23ft toy hauler. Now I need advice on a 4000w generator. I found a Mitsubishi that is 68dbl and a Generac 4000xl. I don't know anything about their quality or reliability. Any suggestions? Also, what is an acceptible decible level that is not annoying to other campers around me?

calamari racer

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2001
So how loud is you Generac, Senior KX Rider. Can you hold a conversation near it? Do you have to wear earplugs in bed? Are you saying that no matter how quiet it is, somebody will still be annoyed?

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
We also run the Generac 4000XL. It has handled our needs very well even on a couple 100+ degree days when the AC was going all day. I can run it right next to the pullout canvas bed on our toybox and still carry on a conversation inside without much interferance. Altho any generator is going to be loud at night we have run ours a couple times without complaint from neighbors.
Check with Zoomer and he may be able to give youi the Generac's dcb level.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
The Generac 4000XL is obnoxiously loud - too loud for any kind of campground IMO. It is probably around 72-75 dB - a vacuum cleaner is ~70 dB. It might be acceptable for the pits at the MX track - maybe.

I have a Honda EU3000is and it is darn quiet - 58dB in the quiet mode w/o a load. Normal speech is ~60dB. Nobody has complained about it and I've run it late into the night at deer camp. The only comments I've gotten is about how quiet it is. It was pricey at ~$1600 but the peace & quiet is worth it. If I had it to do over I'd buy two EU2000 units with the parallel cord for about the same cost of the EU3000. The EU2000s weigh ~50lbs each and the EU3000 weighs in at ~135lbs. Check www.irv2.com for lots of good info on generators.

Brian

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
58dB in the quiet mode w/o a load.
Explain please? "Quiet Mode? Does that in itself mean without load?

Seems if they commented on how quiet it is, they heard it. IMHO, anything you can hear is "too loud". Anyone without a generator isn't going to like hearing one. You do realize the difference between 60 and 75 DB is MASSIVE? Not just "louder". As in several TIMES louder. The guess seems to be off a little one way or the other.

Cost difference?

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I think that there are some out there that are quiet enough to use around a tent. I was standing next to a trailer at a race carrying on a conversation with the owner of the trailer. Yes, I did hear his generator but I did comment how quiet it was. It was a Honda and it was quiet enough to talk at a normal voice standing next to it. Heck my wife snores louder than that. ;)

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by justql
Heck my wife snores louder than that. ;)
OMG! :eek: Your generator would wake the dead! :scream: Better hope Julie doesn't read this post! ;)

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by Okie
Explain please? "Quiet Mode? Does that in itself mean without load?

Seems if they commented on how quiet it is, they heard it. IMHO, anything you can hear is "too loud". Anyone without a generator isn't going to like hearing one. You do realize the difference between 60 and 75 DB is MASSIVE? Not just "louder". As in several TIMES louder. The guess seems to be off a little one way or the other.

Cost difference?

Okie,
The Eco mode on the EU3000 slows down the idle when there is no electrical load present. When a load comes on line the RPM increases to supply the required amount of power. It's a nice feature to have when the power demand is intermittant or not a full 3kW.

The reason people have commented on the 'loudness' of my generator is because they walked over next to it wondering what it was. While applaud your comment about if you can hear it it's too loud, I just don't find it pratical to try and totally silence an RV generator. We've all seen generator trailers that are used on movie sets etc - have you ever looked at one and seen how much insulation there is on one of those? Or priced one? You don't want to.

Yes, I do understand the difference between 60 & 70 dB - I spent two years working on the intake & exhaust systems for a 75kW microturbine. In fact I understand it all too well..... We were able to meet the UL requirement only because the test procedure was written for low speed equipment and didn't require measurements to include that nasty 20KHz frequency we had. The 58dB & 72-75dB levels were taken directly from my Honda generator brochure. The Honda EG3500XK1 is an open frame economy generator that is probably pretty close to the Generac 4000XL. My parents have a Generac 4000XL as an emergency back-up for their 5th wheel - they only go places they have hook-ups. My dad uses the generator ~1x per month to power the weed eater & I was embarrased to be seen next to that thing when he started it up last time I was at their house.

Cost difference? That's the rub. The Generac is ~$700 (I think) and the Honda EU3000is is ~$1600. It's a huge difference. With the Generac or similar you will see people running 100ft extension cords to get the generator as far from their trialer as possible. I use my 30amp cord and put the generator at the driver rear corner and barely hear it on the other side of my trailer - when I'm still outside. It's that quiet.

Brian

calamari racer

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2001
I didn't realize 60 to 75 decibles was massive. I never paid attention to decible levels on generators until now that I'm looking to get one. I don't want to annoy those around me. Fortunately, the RV place that I bought my toy hauler from is going to let me use one of their Onan generators for my trip to Glen Helen for the Vet Nationals. I plan on checking out all the generators while I'm there and asking a lot of questions.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
We have an Onan 5KW (I think it is really 4.8KW) in our RV and while it is not bothersome inside (it actually tends to drown out exterior noises) it is loud outside.

A friend of mine mounted a class III (or IV) hitch on the front of his pickup so he could mount his generator up there to be as far away as possible from his camper that he hauled behind his truck.

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Im with NVR FNSH the Hondas a great generator. I have the EU2000I and this thing is real quiet with the echo mode on. But like Okie made reference about, they do get noiser under a high load. But there still quieter than the other brands Ive used, especially the Yamaha. Im planning on buying a second EU2000I with the parallel cord to run the AC in the desert. I would have bought the EU3000 but that thing weighs a ton. I believe around 160lbs. The EU2000 weighs around 50lbs, big difference.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I'll bring this topic to the top as I'm looking for feedback as well since I just bought my first RV today!

None of the tracks here have electrical service in the pits so I wanted to get a generator that allowed me to run the roof top air conditioner as well as some extra's in the motorhome (coffemaker, tv/vcr, microwave, power washer, etc.) The Honda EU3000is was my first instinct due to the db rating but the rv guy here told me I needed 3000 just to run the Rooftop AC. Is this correct? If so logic tells me I would need much larger than a 3000 watt generator. Does 2 EU2000's with a parallel cord essentially give you a 4000 watt generator?

Any feedback would be appreciated before I go out and make a bad choice on a generator and am stuck with one I don't want to run at night.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Yes the two 2000s will give performance on par with a single 4000. More power than the Honda 3000 and less total weight. Another benefit is that during the cooler months you only need to pack one.

Pull the literature on what your AC unit needs to start. It should be stamped on the unit or in the literature.

There is a good chance you can run everything else in the RV at the same time except the microwave. Those buggers can pull over 1000 watts.

There is a site, rv.net, where this is discussed daily. Different models of A/C, specific generator, other loads, ambient temp, and even altitude affect whether or not you have enough generator.

Top Bottom