pa_duster

Apr 8, 2004
Im looking for input from all of you pro's out there. I am new to the dirt bike world (but not a total idiot). I have been highly considering a brand new KDX200. I am 6', 195lbs. My main focous will be offroad/trail and maybe some light racing. To all-- Please let me know why I should or should not get this bike. Also, give your opinion on what I should get if not the KDX.

Thanks to all!

Henk

Apr 15, 2000
I'd get one. The KDX is almost the perfect first bike. Stock they are really easy to ride and can still get along a lot faster than you will be able to ride it. It's also a bike that you can ride slowly with no drama. Then if you decide you need more you can trick them up to get more power wherever you decide you need it. For a first bike you want something that you can make mistakes on without getting maimed. My first real bike was a 360sx KTM, I spent a fair bit of time hitting trees because every time I pulled the throttle a bit hard the thing took off on me. My wife has a 99 KDX and in some places where the going gets tight and technical I'm faster on that than I am on my TM250, the 360 or my 400EXC. If you need more power later you can get a pipe, rad valve etc. The other nice thing about the KDX is that you can ride it slowly without it complaining, when you are learning to dodge trees to start with the last thing you need is a bike that wants to wheelstand out of every corner. The other option would be a 4 stroke of some sort but the extra weight will wear you out a lot faster than the KDX will. I've been riding and racing about 5 years now and I still regularly get beaten by friends that have KDXes. The only criticism I have of the bike is that the forks hang down too far past the axle. If you are not riding somewhere with a lot of deep ruts you won't find that a problem and if it does become an issue there is always the KX fork swap that will fix the problem and still leave you with a bike that cost you less than something more exotic or you can just learn to take better lines. I've got an 02 TM250, an 02 400EXC and a 97 360sx (4 sale) so the fact that I steal my wifes 99 KDX on occasion should be some sort of recommendation.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Yep, hard to go wrong with a KDX as first bike. The one thing you may want to consider is picking up a couple year old one since those seem to have lots of goodies added on already, things you'll want to (new pipe, better handlebars, o-ring chain, skid plate, handguards, stiffer springs, etc.).

The only other decision will be whether to go with a 200 or 220...for that search Canadian Dave's JustKDX forum on this site since there's lots of good info there.

est142

Dec 30, 2003
great pick. i am 6ft 185lbs and its a good fit. not even close to feeling "small". i would also get a slightly used one and spend the savings on add-ons. ABSOLUTE musts are pipe and stinger,barkbusters,gearing change to 12/47 or 13/50,airbox lid mod,bars. your weight(mine too for that matter) will put you at the absolute limit of the forks. as already said...forks are the only real major cheapo part on the bike. if you race it,you will have to at least swap in heavier fork springs. trail riding only,you will get by with them at/near the extreme clicker setting. if you see yourself getting deeper into racing, i would look into a ktm exc or a 250 jap mx'er, that you could set-up for the woods.both of those options will end up costing 2-3 thousand dollars more however. at its pricepoint...the kdx is unmatchable.

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
I'll 4th what everybody else has said. I'm 6'2", 200 lbs. and I picked up a low mileage '90 KDX200 2 years ago. Rebuilt the suspension with big boy sized springers and it's like a cadillac in the woods. My only suggestion would be to look for a model that is only a couple years old. Mine is getting a little too outdated. Good luck and enjoy!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
To be on the devil's advocate side......

If you like to mess with 'stuff', a 2-smoke bike is a good starter. The kdx has so many places improvements can be made you will likely be doing a good deal of 'messing.' If you like the 2-smoke performance band (usually hits hard, hits fast) than a 2cycle bike is a lot of fun.

If you want to put gas in it and forget it...if you want even, smooth, steady (y-a-w-n...what was I saying?...oh yeah....) power, you might consider starting out a bit further up the money tree; the new crf250x is a sweetheart of a bike.

I've ridden 2-strokes for many years, I'll likely have to be pried off mine by the last standing environmental whacko. Still, there's a lot to be said for an e-start bike with a terrific suspension out of the box...even if it is red.

Do some research. Make a reasoned choice. Have a blast!!

Oh..'new to the dirt bike world (but not a total idiot)'

Ha! Anyone looking to spend thousands of $$ on a machine, then more thousands of $$ modifying it (even the 'race ready' buyers spend money 'enhancing' their bikes), then taking it out in the mud, the blood and the beer to beat the living daylights out of it and themselves could easily be reckoned a 'total idiot.'

Us'n idiots sure have one heckuva good time, though!! ;)

est142

Dec 30, 2003
Chain sprocket gearing. Stock 13f 47r. I run 12f 47r for primarily single track woods...need a low mudhole first gear. I was too cheap to buy a new longer chain and 50 tooth rear sprocket for 13f 50r which is about the same. Some say the 12f is hard on chains and glide blocks, but I have not has that problem personally. I do lube the chain prior to every ride...not a super fussy job,but I always get something on there. Others say you tighten up the gear ratios,rev through the gears range quicker and lose power spinning the smaller front sprocket. They may be correct technically, but I have more need for the low first than I do the powerful fifth and sixth.

Bizerk

Feb 28, 2004
I'm 6'3 200lbs and have a 2000 KDX 200 and absolutely love it! Great bike beginner or experienced. Many great "reviews" from the "pros" out there in dirtbike land as well. Lots of fun!!! I highly recommend it. New ones are very affordable-best bang for your buck. :thumb:

Henk

Apr 15, 2000
Being completely new to off road you might want to consider a second hand bike. The KDX hasn't changed (except for "bold new graphics") since 1995. That way if dirtbikes don't completely take over your life the way they have ours you won't take a huge financial hit when you move the bike on to take up lawn bowls. If you can get a ride on somebody elses bike before you shell out the coin it may be a good idea. A road bike riding friend years back came and had a ride on one of my bikes and quickly came to the conclusion that it wasn't as easy as it looks, the fact that he was a complete physical wreck after 5 minutes didn't help. Needless to say we don't talk to him any more as he has rejected the only true faith.

pa_duster

Apr 8, 2004
Henk said:
Being completely new to off road you might want to consider a second hand bike. The KDX hasn't changed (except for "bold new graphics") since 1995. That way if dirtbikes don't completely take over your life the way they have ours you won't take a huge financial hit when you move the bike on to take up lawn bowls. If you can get a ride on somebody elses bike before you shell out the coin it may be a good idea. A road bike riding friend years back came and had a ride on one of my bikes and quickly came to the conclusion that it wasn't as easy as it looks, the fact that he was a complete physical wreck after 5 minutes didn't help. Needless to say we don't talk to him any more as he has rejected the only true faith.
Its safe to say once I do get a bike that I will be very much into it for many years to come. I'm already into the whole offroad thing due to the extensive use of my 4wheller. As far as buying used, I havent seen any around here(just a bunch of yamaha's). I also think I would rather have a new one, so I'm not buying someone eles problem. Now if anyone has some good performance part web sites, please let me know so I can see what I will be getting into when it does come time to get those new springs and exhaust.

peterryan01

May 6, 2003
I bought my 2001 KDX 200 in 2002 for a steal. You might want to look around at your local dealers for 'leftovers' from last year. When I got mine new off the showroom floor, I walked away with it for invoice - no fuss from me or the dealer. This is my first dirt bike, and I absolutely love it. The mods are cheap (relatively) and the performance boosts are great. The bike is easy to work on and very reliable. After becoming a more experienced rider, I still get a big ol' grin on my face every time I pull on the throttle. This bike won't disappoint, unless you are planning on some pretty hard-core MX. The bike is nimble and quick - what more could anyone ask for? If you want to see some of the things I have done with my bike, check out my website:

http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~gibbonsp/

My vote is for the KDX - for the performance alone, you would have to get a much larger displacement 4-poker that won't be nearly as much fun.

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Same here. I got a leftover 2002 in 2004 - they really wanted to get rid of it.

I wound up getting it for under $3k out the door.

There are great deals out there - just pick up the phone. For some reason KDXs seem to sit on the showroom floor for some time.

Henk

Apr 15, 2000
As an extra added bonus if you can get a leftover bike you won't have to put up with a black fuel tank. I can't believe people that design bikes think these are a good idea.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
moridin said:
For some reason KDXs seem to sit on the showroom floor for some time.
Seriously, you're buying a 8yo bike brand new. It's old. There's been no R&D into it since 95/96. Oh, do you want this year's graphics or last year's?
Oh, you'd like something modern? Pick anything else on the showroom floor - just be prepared to pay more.
I'm not knocking the bike. I've been thinking about what bike I want next & am seriously considering an 0-something KDX. I'm testing out other bikes & just feel I don't need anything more than my 99. Time will tell, naturally, but that's my thoughts at the moment. Yeah, other bikes are lighter & faster, but I don't need faster & now that I don't drop the bike often, don't feel it's so heavy. Then again, I haven't had her totally stuck for ages (mainly because I haven't been riding her) but did have to pick her up & move her a bit Saturday.

calichic82

Apr 8, 2004
I have a 00 KDX its awesome. highly reccommend that as a first bike also. hubby fixed it up for me this year. its definitely worth the money, but id go with an older bike and spend money fixing it up, making it yours.

kdx pretoria

Apr 12, 2004
pa_duster said:
Im looking for input from all of you pro's out there. I am new to the dirt bike world (but not a total idiot). I have been highly considering a brand new KDX200. I am 6', 195lbs. My main focous will be offroad/trail and maybe some light racing. To all-- Please let me know why I should or should not get this bike. Also, give your opinion on what I should get if not the KDX.

Thanks to all!
Have been riding and racing KDX since 1997 have owned many bikes but none as versatile as the KDX. With a bit of work you can get the bike to suit your needs whatever they are enjoy the ride.

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
I personally like the 220 although my only knowlege of the 200 is what I have read. I started on the 220 and eventally added all the most common mods and even race it a little now. You won't be dissapointed with either.

pa_duster

Apr 8, 2004
Thanks everyone for all of the great insight! Lets talk alittle more about the front suspension; as Imentioned before I am about 195 lbs. I dont plan on doing any major "jumping" and most of the trails I ride on are big enough for Atv's. Am I still going to be putting the front end at its max tolerance???

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
All you need to do is go to the Race Tech site and input your weight and bike and it will recommend the right front fork springs. It's a mod you should be able to do and the cost is ~$75.

That's all you really need to do unless you get serious and want to get really serious with it, in which case taking it to a suspension shop to have it set up for you is the best bet. But that's true with any bike since suspensions are designed as a compromise since we don't all weigh the same and there is no one riding style, terrain, etc. In fact, in the benefit/$$ equation of dirt biking, no one mod will make you faster than suspension customized to you.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom