SEM66

Dec 15, 2005
I did a search, but didn't find anything that answered these q's....
I'm looking for my first dirt bike....I have years of road experience with sportbikes, Harleys, and even a custom chopper. But I just came to the realization that my cycle of revenge against my mom will not be complete until I get a mx'er....hehehehe

Only reason I bring that up is because as far as dirt goes, I am a complete novice. I am 5'11" and 185. I live right on a greenbelt with miles of trails (a couple of my neighbors ride out there on Yamaha enduros), but we also have 2 pretty good tracks in town. I'm not looking to race, but I do like to get on the throttle pretty good and I like having nice stuff.

I was almost 100% sold on the new YZ250f and I was gonna go to the dealer and grab the last yellow one the other day, but luckily i found this site.

I figured the 4 strokes would be quieter - just having basic knowledge. But it sounds like I am way off on that one. Personally, I love the sound of the 2 strokes, so I am a little relieved that they might actually be quieter nowadays ( I still have memories of the local neighborhood teens scaring the hell out of us little kids with their RMs and YZ's back in the early 80's).
Anyway, I have sort of self-guided myself back to 2 strokes because of the sound issue, I don't want to blow the use of the greenbelt for all those who enjoy it. And I remember going to a supercross a few years back and being amazed how quiet the bikes (2's) were.

ALSO, I run a business and the maintainance issue is steering me away from the 4 bangers. I just don't have a heck of a lot of time for checking valves and stuff like that. I do have time for adding trick new parts and accessories though...hehehehehe

So, I had narrowed my choices down to a YZ125 or a 125SX KTM. I really like the KTM, but we don't have a dealer here, so I'd have to spend more to ship one. Really not a big deal...but today my neighbor was saying that for my size, I would definitely not be happy with the 125s. I just don't have enough knowledge of these bikes to know any better. I was subscribing to the '125 is the best learner' thing...and like I said I'm just going to tool around on the trails and if I get some balls, take it to the track....no serious racing or anything. I understand that these bikes have explosive power though.

All the guys who seem to post on here that have 125's seem to weigh like 130.....hehehehe

On the other hand, just reading the descriptions of how brutal 250 power comes in, it seems like it would be way too much for what I intend to do with it.

Hell, I'm confused....any opinions appreciated.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Get yourself a YZ250 two stroke and be happy. Smooth power delivery, and it'll work for whatever you wanna do with it. YZ165

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
A 125 is not the ideal choice for a tool around on the trails type bike, that being said it will have enough power to haul you around just fine at the track. If it was me in your spot and my primary use would be trail usage with the very rare track day I'd be looking at a new KTM 200 XC

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
YZ250 is the yammi for you. Power on the 250's is VERY RESPONSIVE not EXPLOSIVE. The yammi has very predictable power, but if you crank the throttle all the way open it will snap to attention and take off. The 125 has negligeable bottom end and takes a lot more work in the woods, especially for a carcass of your size ( but it will scream much like you want your mother to hehehe ) . If you find the 250 too zippy, you can always add a flywheel weight to mellow things out. The 250 will be the least maintanance for you of the bikes you mentioned.

SEM66

Dec 15, 2005
that carcass comment had me rollin'.....hillarious.....I still remember my mom ripping a Dirtbike Mag (I think I was readin' a review of a MAICO 500!) outta my hands...., "You'll never have one of those, I don't know why you waste your time!"....

ANYWAY, thanks for the replies gents. 250 is kinda what I was hoping to hear. I looked into some enduros (WRs, etc) and stuff like that, but if I am gonna do it, I want 100% race. THANKS!
Great site BTW

Last edited:

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
My mom still gets sick when she hears I'm still riding - I'm 42. I make sure I send a picture of me jumping every month ...... yes I have an evil streek hehehehe

SEM66

Dec 15, 2005
ok, I think I found something that might fit the bill...i decided not to go new yet since the dirt bike scene is new to me.

I found an '02 YZ250 in real good shape. The owner is a mechanic, but also used to work at the Yamaha shop in town for several years. I'm going to look at it tomorrow. All I know at this point is it has a Pro Circuit pipe, new chain and sprockets, new tires, and 5 hours since the last top end. On the phone he said it has a bunch of upgrades which he'll show me tomorrow.

He wants 2400 which seems a little high...but I have been looking for three weeks and this is the yz250 (of very few available in general) where the dude has known what he was talking about. Plus, I won't have to loose $500 on shipping. I'm still gonna work on the price though.

What I was wondering from you guys is there anything from this year YZ that I need to be concerned about? Thanks.

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
I would agree, price does not seem bad at all, get it. Seems like this owner took good care of it and has
treated well. Ask him about maintenance and if it needs anything. Seems like a good deal to me.

SEM66

Dec 15, 2005
thanks y'all...I went up there today and as soon as I saw that bike, I knew I had to have it. It was immaculate as he said...brand new Michelins, V-force reeds, scotts top triple clamp/damper, fat bars, new seat, revalved suspension. He went over all the maintainance, and the type of riding he did, service manual with notes....shoot...It was a smokin deal....I didn't even ask him to go lower.

I just took it out on the trails for 30 minutes:

a. DAMN I'm out of shape!
b. man, that is a freakin blast!
c. I appreciate the advice to go 250 instead of 125....lot's of low end power
d. it only scared the crap outta me like 8 times!

Thanks for the advice and replies. Later.
Dave

Top Bottom